Town Point Park Facelift...

Weaver24

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a little disappointed with this project. With all the money spent, I would've thought it would've been more spectacular. It is an improvement but I was expecting more with the amount that was spent. Also I think Norfolk needs more or better direction. They should've privatized Waterside and had a developer remodel or redevelop Waterside to complement the park. The company could've found the best use for the area because it appears that the city is mismanaging the facility. That gives visitors more of a reason to come and spend money. A redone Waterside and park really would've help this area.

There actually will be 2 fountains: this one and another more traditional one by Nauticus. At least that was the plan at one time.

It's nice to know fountains are making a comeback. They removed the water from all of the malls and what not. It went out of style.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove by the park last night and the TowneBank area next to Waterside was lit up! I didn't see the fountain, but the trees were lit up in purple at the time I passed.

Would anyone be willing to take pics of the park at night so everyone can get to see the lights???

I would, but I don't own a digital camera! :dontknow: LOL

I drove by the park last night and the TowneBank area next to Waterside was lit up! I didn't see the fountain, but the trees were lit up in purple at the time I passed.

Would anyone be willing to take pics of the park at night so everyone can get to see the lights???

I would, but I don't own a digital camera! :dontknow: LOL

Yea I will try to get over there. Kind of curious if they are using color kinetics or what brand LED washes.

I have to say, I think far better uses could have found for the money spent on the park. This basically amounted to paying someone to rearrange your living room furniture. It may look better afterwords, but its still your same living room.

I have to say, I think far better uses could have found for the money spent on the park. This basically amounted to paying someone to rearrange your living room furniture. It may look better afterwords, but its still your same living room.

Watch it now, that's a 11 million you are talking about!!!!

I agree with you and with all that supposed modernization; they still do not have an integrated sound system for the park.

Went down to the park last night with some friends to listen to the music in the water fountain area. We ended up not making it to that area and just posted up near the river with some chairs, wine and cheese and I gotta say, it's a great place to be to watch the sunset. I think they did a fantastic job of opening up the park. Kind of cool with the big screen on Nauticus too, I guess they have a camera somewhere that gives a live feed of the park (Found ourselves on there a few times as it roamed our way). Good to see the cops on Segues roaming around too. That should keep the homeless out, atleast during peak times. Kind of cool that they didn't mess with us about our vino either. But then again, we weren't stirring up any trouble. The

Also notice that there is a handrail in the middle of the benches, which should prevent them from lying down and sleeping

Now that this thread is complete, should we start discussing Lafayette Park? It needs a facelift worse than TTP did! It's older than 25 years!

Yea, that park is shame compared to what they have been trying to do with the zoo for the last years. It is very uninviting, limited parking and old broke park benches. We had a family reunion there about two years ago; it looks exactly the same from when I was a kid and my mom use to take me every now and then. The play sets are small, old, and limited. Again, money shortfalls can't be the reasons for everything that is dated, old, and wrong in Norfolk.

My assessment of the new TPP:

1. More open and inviting. Remember, the dark, dingy park entrance by Otter Berth?

2. The openess means we all have a better view of the river, even the cars . . . what a concept!

3. No matter where you stand, you have a good view of the stage. This orientation creates a sense of "community." The old park had a very disjointed feel. Heck, the Bayou Boogaloo likely will allow you to eat and watch the band at the same time. Sweet.

4. I'm not a big fan of the fountain by Waterside (although kids seem to love it). But the fountain by the Cruise Center is nice. A good place to sit and eat lunch if you work downtown.

5. The benches and lights are a huge improvement over the old ones.

• 1 year later...

An update for Town Point Park:

http://www.wvec.com/news/local/Push-to-reshape-image-for-Norfolks-Town-Point-Park-115664989.html

Looks like free wi-fi is coming to the park as well as a possibility of water fountains and bathrooms.

All things they should have done the first time around. The people in charge make me think they should not have that job. For instance, no intergraded sound system, no fountains and they are right, it does feel like it is only for festivals. Free WIFI, come on, you didn't think about that the first time? Now I'm not sure if that is because of the people down town. I'm starting to see a trend with them, lol. Bathrooms are no good if they will stay pissy, just keep that in mind Norfolk.

Archived