Taking a Pulse On Arkansas Basketball

I've been an avid, die-hard (died-hard too) Hogs basketball fan for a while, even moreso than the football team. There have been some tough times lately, and our Hogs seniors have one more year under a new system to show how they can do. What is everyone's feeling about the basketball team this year?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been an avid, die-hard (died-hard too) Hogs basketball fan for a while, even moreso than the football team. There have been some tough times lately, and our Hogs seniors have one more year under a new system to show how they can do. What is everyone's feeling about the basketball team this year?

I was surprised to see them ranked. That has to be due to the new coach because it sure isn't a reflection of the last few years. Sometimes last year ir seemed like Beverly was the only one really playing to win. I think Pelphrey will give them a big boost and they will do better, but I also think there might be a bit too much hype. It's puts too much pressure on a first year coach, who, given time will be a very good coach.

I was surprised to see them ranked. That has to be due to the new coach because it sure isn't a reflection of the last few years. Sometimes last year ir seemed like Beverly was the only one really playing to win. I think Pelphrey will give them a big boost and they will do better, but I also think there might be a bit too much hype. It's puts too much pressure on a first year coach, who, given time will be a very good coach.

Well, it wasn't pretty but they did win yesterday in a tournament in Puerto Rico. They play again today around 4 or so against Providence. They beat a well coached College of Charleston with mostly defense but had dozens of turnovers. We are the only ranked team in this tournament so we are expected to win but it is early in the season so who knows.

Well, it wasn't pretty but they did win yesterday in a tournament in Puerto Rico. They play again today around 4 or so against Providence. They beat a well coached College of Charleston with mostly defense but had dozens of turnovers. We are the only ranked team in this tournament so we are expected to win but it is early in the season so who knows.

• 4 weeks later...

They've definitely improved a little on turnovers, but I don't think they're quite in sync yet with the system. Hill has settled in at all very well, and doesn't get a lot of minutes. Thomas and Weems seem to be turnover machines occasionally. However, the win against Missouri was impressive and every once in a while they don't let the crowd down, which happened too often the past few years. I think this team will take a while more to adjust to the offense and defense, and hopefully they will exploit the SEC teams at that point. They really lack in aggressiveness and communication at times, and sometimes their confidence is still low. However, I think that is partly due to their indecision and the new system.

Archived