Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Worley

Fuel Cell Vehicles

7 posts in this topic

I look forward to seeing this fuel cell car from Honda, going to the L.A. Auto show next week!! :thumbsup:

Some pics of the Honda Clarity Fuel cell Vehicle from the Los Angeles Auto Show.

PB230166.jpg

PB230165.jpg

(sorry for the inattentive kid who ran right in front of the shot...)

PB230164.jpg

PB230163.jpg

PB230162.jpg

PB230161.jpg

According to the spokesman, the car should have a range of almost 270 miles on a full tank of Hydrogen. They plan on leasing the first few hundred, to be built by hand, in Southern California. Currently there are 3 Hyrdrogen refueling stations in the L.A. metro area with a dozen to be online in the next couple of years.

The car was larger than a Civic and very well appointed. The current cost to fill the car up for 270 miles would be about $20-25 dollars per tank.

What I thought was cool was the home refueling station Honda is developing which will allow the owner/operator to refuel this car at a home which has natural gas service. This station also produces energy the home can use as well as some heat...

Doesn't it take more energy to create the fuel cell platform than it ultimately yields? I ask because my understanding is limited, but I've been told that it is a net energy loser.

Fuel cells used in this application use hydrogen. Right now the only reasonably economical way to produce hydrogen is by consuming fossil fuel. It's not real attractive when you look at it from a macro sense.

^You're right, hydrogen has a lot of logistics problems to oevrcome. Barring some technological breakthrough, I don't see much of a future for it.