Dr. Stokes, Techmedica and other scams

GRDadof3

This guy is nuts! This is the Dermatologist who allegedly used dirty needles on patients (now estimated at 10,000 people), and fraudulently billed insurance companies for procedures he didn't perform. Check out the stories coming out. Barton Watson and his wife Krista come to mind.

Shoplifting at Knapp's Corner Meijer

Bilked roofing contractor for over $150,000

Number of patients at risk doubles

Reusing sutures

Overpriced house for sale in EGR 5x assessed price

Convicted of fraud in April

How many more Watsons, Stokes and Michael Vorces are out there?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This guy is nuts! This is the Dermatologist who allegedly used dirty needles on patients (now estimated at 10,000 people), and fraudulently billed insurance companies for procedures he didn't perform. Check out the stories coming out. Barton Watson and his wife Krista come to mind.

Shoplifting at Knapp's Corner Meijer

Bilked roofing contractor for over $150,000

Number of patients at risk doubles

Reusing sutures

Overpriced house for sale in EGR 5x assessed price

Convicted of fraud in April

How many more Watsons, Stokes and Michael Vorces are out there?

this doctor (and I use the term loosely) is a crook. My family has went to him (as he had a mobile office in Greenville for some time) and I only went to him once because he was so abrupt and rude to me - just very unprofessional behavior - fortunately I was never operated on nor touched by his dirty hands - but my mom was operated on by him.

We haven't received a letter yet but I'm guessing we'll be getting one soon - to be on the safe side we're going to get tested anyways.

I know a lot of people here in town that went to him and we paid ridiculous prices for medications and when we got 2nd opinions - we never needed half of the meds he prescribed.

I'm glad he's getting what he deserves - and our family and myself is keeping our eye out for any class action lawsuits - because we sure want a piece of that pie.

http://public.grar.com/public/pubrecn.mac/start?MLS=G612653

This is his house for sale - photos and all

Wouldn't all of his employee's be guilty of accomplishes? Is there not some sort of Medical code they must live up to? I can't believe they didn't know what was going on.

and , speaking of Vorce - has he in essence "gotten away with it? How can a guy steal that much money and NOT end up in prison?

For some reason I find myself trusting my doctors, but not their nurses. I get easily suspicious/agitated when the nurse brings in a needle or something that hasn't been opened in front of me. Or, even disposes of the needle right away -- pretty good indicator of improprieties if you ask me. This pretty much validates my paranoia. I understand the risks are slight, but how can you afford to be blase?

They are supposed to dispose of the needle right away. Every exam/procedure room has a red "sharps" container.

Now, cleaning up the litter, all the opened empty packets of sutures and gauze and New Skin (repackaged for medical use) and the hemostats and whatever else...sometimes that stuff sits there until an aide can take care of it.

Sutures probably cost $10/patient. Glorified dental floss (which can be used in a pinch). Clearly this guy has psychological issues about money...

• 3 weeks later...

How about this company. Techmedica. Crazy little company that's selling "Nutraceuticals", says it is based out of Las Vegas, but looks amazingly like an office park off Broadmoor (the marketing arm is called True Value Media):

http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/category/techmedica/

I wish I had the link, but they have another site that has a handsome young doctor named "Dr. Dave" or something similar. He sings silly songs about Nutraceuticals and the bible. It is a riot. If someone knows the address, please post it, I can't remember the name, but the song will stick with you like Great Darryl Nathan's greatest hits. :)

I was not a patient of his, almost went there but decided to ask my primary care physician for a reference and was directed elsewhere.

I have met my fair share of dermaltologists from miami to kalamazoo and now GR, there are some unscrupulous folks in that profession. There was an Derm's office in Kzoo that was notorious in certain circles for their unsavory inn house games with sexual connotations. serious malpractice, but many patients are intimidated and scared and not sure sometimes just exactly what the hell happened to them. And stuff goes unreported.

The Michigan dept of community health allows you to check online any MD, DO, nurse, PA for violations, you can even see a list of people who have been found inept, expelled from practicing. Nursing homes and foster care homes have a special office for reporting complaints.

I get a yearly skin cancer exam, I call it going for my yearly biopsy,

dont let them touch your face w/o a second opinion!

Medical patients need to be the most consummate of consumers imo.

http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/category/techmedica/

I wish I had the link, but they have another site that has a handsome young doctor named "Dr. Dave" or something similar. He sings silly songs about Nutraceuticals and the bible. It is a riot. If someone knows the address, please post it, I can't remember the name, but the song will stick with you like Great Darryl Nathan's greatest hits. :)

• 2 months later...

Am I good at sniffing out scams or what? :) Actually, I was quite surprised when I saw the news today as I had somewhat forgotten about my prediction. Here's another link:

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/mow/news2008/thao.ind.htm

Interesting Quote:

The indictment says that Techmedica fabricated fraudulent customer identities using photographs purchased from Istockphoto.com. Testimonials attributed to these fraudulent identities touted the effectiveness of the unapproved new drugs and misbranded drugs. The indictment alleges that Techmedica and Shua Vang (through Naturocare) also posted one of the Istockphoto.com photographs on their Web sites to fabricate a non-existent physician, Dr. Judy Hamilton, for the purpose of lending authenticity to and endorsing product claims about Diabeticine for customers with Type I and Type II diabetes and to endorse Thao. The person identified as Dr. Hamilton was in fact a model from California. This same model's photograph was also used by Pham on another Web site to fabricate a non-existent nurse, the indictment says, Bethany Hunt, RN, to tout the effectiveness of the unapproved new drugs and misbranded drugs.

Am I good at sniffing out scams or what? :) Actually, I was quite surprised when I saw the news today as I had somewhat forgotten about my prediction. Here's another link:

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/mow/news2008/thao.ind.htm

Interesting Quote:

It sucks for the employees though! I'm sure a lot of them were not involved in the scam.

Joe

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt, but I tend to agree. If your building a website that changes disclaimers and testimonials based on government traffic, you'd have to think something was up.

It sucks that people do this crap over and over again. I wonder what actually was in these pills. :dontknow:

Joe

Archived