Gyms in Providence?

Magellan98

So I will be back in RI for a couple of weeks around Christmas and I got to wondering about where I could continue to work out. Are there any decent gyms in the Providence area. My parents live in Rumford and there is a Ballys up the road (on the Pawtucket line) but I don't like it very much. Any ideas, after searching the web the possibilities are looking pretty dismal...

This brings me to a question, is downtown far enough along to sustain a decent health club/gym? Something akin to a 24 Hour Fitness or Equinox? Even if the residents aren't quite there, there are many workers. I know many of the developments are including gyms nowadays, but those are often tiny and offer no classes.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I will be back in RI for a couple of weeks around Christmas and I got to wondering about where I could continue to work out. Are there any decent gyms in the Providence area. My parents live in Rumford and there is a Ballys up the road (on the Pawtucket line) but I don't like it very much. Any ideas, after searching the web the possibilities are looking pretty dismal...

This brings me to a question, is downtown far enough along to sustain a decent health club/gym? Something akin to a 24 Hour Fitness or Equinox? Even if the residents aren't quite there, there are many workers. I know many of the developments are including gyms nowadays, but those are often tiny and offer no classes.

There's also a Gold's on North Main right on the Pawtucket line. If you're in East Providence, there's a Planet Fitness, World Gym, and a good YMCA on Rte 44 right over the line in Seekonk. And there's the Y in downtown Pawtucket, which is brand new and the best gym I've ever been to.

The only 24 hour gym I know if is Apollo on Warwick Ave in Warwick, right next to Shaws on the Cranston line.

I'm a member at the Capital Club, which is at the Westin on Exchange. They have a complete facility with pool, whirpool and sauna. On Chestnut and Point there is Davol Fitness & Spa. It's nice, but I didn't choose it because I wanted a pool. There's also Method Fitness, which is on Westminster, right over the over pass (West End). I'm sure that Johnson & Wales, Brown & RISD have fitness centers. They may offer memberships. There is talks that the space across from Tazza on Westminster is in the works to becoming a fitness center.

I'm a member at the Capital Club, which is at the Westin on Exchange. They have a complete facility with pool, whirpool and sauna. On Chestnut and Point there is Davol Fitness & Spa. It's nice, but I didn't choose it because I wanted a pool. There's also Method Fitness, which is on Westminster, right over the over pass (West End). I'm sure that Johnson & Wales, Brown & RISD have fitness centers. They may offer memberships. There is talks that the space across from Tazza on Westminster is in the works to becoming a fitness center.

Archived