[Jackson] Columns II retail developments

Rural King

The Jackson Sun reports in an article today that the owners of Old Hickory Mall in Jackson are looking at purchasing and developing a portion of the Columns II retail development in North Jackson. The article speculates that the main anchor tenant of the strip design retail project would be a new 104,745 sq/ft JC Penny's, which would compliment three smaller anchors and along with two strip store segments. No word on who the other anchors could possibly be or what smaller stores might be lured to the strip segments.

The Columns I retail area is reaching near saturation in development and the Columns II is coming together just in time to enable the retail and commercial growth of North Jackson to continue uninterupted in the area near the I-40/Vann Drive exit. North Jackson is located centrally to serve both the older portions of the city along with the high growth residential areas of north Madison and south Gibson counties, while being more convienant to a large segment of the consumer base of NWTN which uses Jackson as the regional retail/service center.

One downside to this potential development is a new JC Penny's in North Jackson would draw even more business away from the Old Hickory Mall area of mid-town Jackson. It will be interesting to see if JC Penny's would try to keep both stores open, or if they will simply close its aging anchor store at the mall in favor of a single new store in North Jackson. The closing of a major anchor lik JCP at the rather stagnant Old Hickory Mall area could prove an impetus for other anchors such as Sears and Macy's to replace their aging anchors at Old Hickory with more modern facilities in a future complex in North Jackson. Such a move away from mid-town Jackson could lead to some serious blight issues for that portion of the city as those large and aged facilities would be hard to fill in the near future.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's good news. I fear that sometimes people who just drive by Jackson do not really get a good idea as to how much the city is growing because its growth along I 40 really hasn't been that much going east and west, but rather, most of its growth has been north and south. It streatches all of the way down into Henderson County now. Jackson is truly becoming Tennessee's next major city.

• 3 months later...

It will be interesting to see if this proposal takes off, if the new lifestyle center on I-40 takes off, or both. If the new lifestyle center opens, I can't see Old Hickory Mall staying open for much longer. Anyone know any rumors going around about the future retail development for Jackson?

Most everything I hear about is new box stores and upper end retail for the Columns, Columns II, and other areas in North Jackson. I had heard a new Kroger (Jackson's 5th) and associated shopping development was in the works for Three Way area across from Dutch Gardens, but I have heard new -albeit less substantiated- rumors that Medina might be the location of the next Kroger instead. The "hear say" about Medina getting the Kroger and associated development makes a lot of sense if you look at the astronomical growth rates in Medina in particular, and southern Gibson County as a whole, that should be evident in the 2010 Census.

Also I would like to say welcome to the boards to WestTNNative! Would you happen to be from Jackson or the surrounding area? It would be great to have another Jackson area forumer posting on the boards.

Most everything I hear about is new box stores and upper end retail for the Columns, Columns II, and other areas in North Jackson. I had heard a new Kroger (Jackson's 5th) and associated shopping development was in the works for Three Way area across from Dutch Gardens, but I have heard new -albeit less substantiated- rumors that Medina might be the location of the next Kroger instead. The "hear say" about Medina getting the Kroger and associated development makes a lot of sense if you look at the astronomical growth rates in Medina in particular, and southern Gibson County as a whole, that should be evident in the 2010 Census.

Also I would like to say welcome to the boards to WestTNNative! Would you happen to be from Jackson or the surrounding area? It would be great to have another Jackson area forumer posting on the boards.

The only solid info I have is what I posted in this thread from the Jackson Sun and what I have heard rumored about the next Kroger's location.

I have heard (unsubstantiated) that shopping center recently bought out at Campbell and North Highland was originally for a VA facility, but that now the VA is looking for other potential sites in the city. If that spot is open for speculation I would think it would be a prime locale to develop into some sort of new retail/commercial space to captilize on one of the cities more busy and prominent intersections.

Have you heard anything on the interstate retail project/mall out by Pringles Park? Lots of work has been done out there, but I have heard little on what is going to be going out there. I also noticed awhile back that across I-40 now land has been cleared for another commercial/retail development which I believe is unrelated, but I may be wrong about that.

As for Medina I totally agree that once the new South Gibson County High School is finished in 2009 that Medina will see another big wave of residential constuction build upon its current growth. I have met several people who want to move to Medina from Jackson -and elsehwere in the region- but cite the lack of the High School as the reason that prevents them. The new recreational ballpark complex to be built behind South Gibson County High will be a big draw too I think for families looking to locate in the Jackson area.

Thanks for the welcome. I actually work in Jackson and live right outside town.

• 2 months later...

Nope. I have not heard that rumor, but like you I have a very hard-time seeing it being closed after being open for less than a year. That store was a substantial capital investment, I would think they would wait for the economy to improve before basing a long-term decision like abadoning a new facility and an entire market based on operations during a significantly slowed economic period.

On the other hand if this is true, then if might reflect some serious issues with the company's overall health if it cannot bear to operate a new store at a loss for any length of time.

The only problem with it currently is that its completely isolated at the moment and must stand alone as a draw, but in a few years one has to think a good portion, if not all, of the Columns will be under-development. With that said it seems fairly busy the times I have been out there, at least as busy as the one in Paducah seems to be, but thats not hard facts as to the store's actual cash flow but mere visual perception of activity.

Archived