Bellsouth Tower no more!

Lexy

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just hope that they light the top part where teh Bell South letters used to be. That area used to be lit up with white flood lights when it was the South Central Bell building. I looks like something is missing at night with the current lighting. Anyone know what the sinage is supposed to look like? I think that an actual At&t globe would have looked ferfect where the tri-star sign used to be. Not a flat at&t sign but a three dimensional globe. Lexy please keep us posted with new pics when it's complete. Thanks

lexy, can you post some updated pics of the at&t tower? From the way the picture looks, the at&t globe is going to go on top. Any idea what is going to go in the arch area where the tri-star sign used to be? It looks like it's going to be big. I can't wait until I come home for thanksgiving on wednesday so I can see all of the changes in Nashville.

I've always thought that building looked more like a big shopping center sign like you'd find on Nolensville Road or on Hwy. 41 here in Atlanta ('scuse me, Cobb Pkwy). So I don't expect it to be really different, just a new store's name on the sign. Never one of my favorite buildings anywhere.

• 4 weeks later...
lexy, can you post some updated pics of the at&t tower? From the way the picture looks, the at&t globe is going to go on top. Any idea what is going to go in the arch area where the tri-star sign used to be? It looks like it's going to be big. I can't wait until I come home for thanksgiving on wednesday so I can see all of the changes in Nashville.

I don't even like the way it looks at night. For some reason they decided not to light the lights at the very top where the Bell South letters used to be and they cut out the lights that were at the glass angle that used to shine up to the logo. It just seems like something is missing. I liked my idea better with an AT&T globe (3 dimensional) where the tri-star sign used to be and the At&t letters underneath it in the same style as the Bell South letters but in white. The current sign that has At&t on it does look really cheap. I hope that Signature tower gets built and of course when the Pinnacle is finished the skyline might look a little better at night. Nashville really could work on better lighting for the city at night. Cincinnati is a perfect example of night lighting.

Nashville's "Batman Building" looks so much better at night, especially with the new at&t signage.

In daylight, the steel grey skin of the building's exterior is not the best contrast. Further, the dual "at&t" signature element, coupled with the dual blue & white globe image are particularly difficult to work with. Must have been really hard to pull this off well on a tower with its own very unique design like this one. In other cities, the at&t buildings being re-branded are much more traditional in design....this one is an icon of the Nashville skyline.

The top level exterior lighting needs some adjustment. The illumination of the two spires is good, however there is an entire row across the top of the building that could be nicely illuminated.

I'm not sure if this was done under the previous two corporate names for this building (South Central Bell, BellSouth, at&t). But, keeping it dark now makes the at&t logo and signage more dramatic at night, especially when viewed up-close...maybe that's what the building's owners and agreement with at&t requires.

Sorry I can't provide images, perhaps others will.

It looks like some cheap, community theater stage flat in the day time.

Nashville's "Batman Building" looks so much better at night, especially with the new at&t signage.

In daylight, the steel grey skin of the building's exterior is not the best contrast. Further, the dual "at&t" signature element, coupled with the dual blue & white globe image are particularly difficult to work with. Must have been really hard to pull this off well on a tower with its own very unique design like this one. In other cities, the at&t buildings being re-branded are much more traditional in design....this one is an icon of the Nashville skyline.

The top level exterior lighting needs some adjustment. The illumination of the two spires is good, however there is an entire row across the top of the building that could be nicely illuminated.

I'm not sure if this was done under the previous two corporate names for this building (South Central Bell, BellSouth, at&t). But, keeping it dark now makes the at&t logo and signage more dramatic at night, especially when viewed up-close...maybe that's what the building's owners and agreement with at&t requires.

Sorry I can't provide images, perhaps others will.

You are correct. The entire row across the top of the building used to be light up when the previous names were up there. Look at older pictures if you are able to and you will see that it makes a big difference. I cant see how it would take away from the At&t logo if that's why they are not lit.

Today's issue of the TENNESSEAN showed a pic of the Tennessee Tower building with the word "Peace" on the sides of the buidling. The paper's pic was not a good one, and the "P" in Peace was much larger than the other letters "eace".

I seem to have recall and article that this building will not work as well today as it did years ago (when it was the home of National Life & Accident Insuance Co. & American General Insuarance Co.) because when the State of TN purchased this bldg. they installed film on each window as an energy conservation measure.

Regardless, it is great to see them try it again. A 30 story billboard looks good on the Nashville Skyline. especially during the holiday season.

I do wish other downtown buidlings would have better year-round illumination at night, especially at the top levels of the now "darker and more sinister" Batman Bldg, a.k.a. AT&T Tower.

Whoever thought it was a bright idea (no pun intended) to stop spelling words in Snodgrass at night? That was uniquely Nashville.

They did indeed have 'Peace' spelled out on the Snodgrass tower last night as I drove by. Looks a lil funny cause its a lil hard to make out what it says with the huge P. But anyway, still nice to see them doing that... I never got to see it in the past. Will try to take pics if I get a chance..

• 2 weeks later...

The new building, I've decided upon seeing it several times, reminds me of Mordor (sp?) in Lord of the Rings. It's especially creepy when we crest the hill on Hillsboro in Green Hills and for the first time I can see DT and all I see is the two lit up points on the helmet and the creepy floating blue dot that looks like an eye. No me gusta.

Mordor.jpg

I hate it! I was home in Nashville recently and it just looks bad. Something is missing. They really need to light the other lights back up. I'm sure that you would still be able to see the At&t sign. Man what a shame. Also, is it me or do the lights overall seem dimmer than they used to be? :huh:

Archived