Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

N. Chas one of the most dangerous cities in the US

13 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071118/ap_on_...angerous_cities

Detroit is #1.

From the article:

The report looked at 378 cities with at least 75,000 people based on per-capita rates for homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and auto theft. Each crime category was considered separately and weighted based on its seriousness, CQ Press said.

Last year's crime leader, St. Louis, fell to No. 2. Another Michigan city, Flint, ranked third, followed by Oakland Calif.; Camden, N.J.; Birmingham, Ala.; North Charleston, S.C.; Memphis, Tenn.; Richmond, Calif.; and Cleveland.

The study ranked Mission Viejo, Calif., as the safest U.S. city, followed by Clarkstown, N.Y.; Brick Township, N.J.; Amherst, N.Y.; and Sugar Land, Texas.

Nothing really new here.

I wonder if these newer figures will drag the entire metro down in the metropolitan-area wide rankings? I guess it depends on the crime rate in Charleston and other surrounding communities.

Charleston moved from 132nd most dangerous last year to 97th most dangerous this year.

That's not good. Sounds like N. Charleston gave the metro area a bad boost.

Charleston moved from 132nd most dangerous last year to 97th most dangerous this year.

That's not good. Sounds like N. Charleston gave the metro area a bad boost.

Where did you see these stats? Usually they put them up on the website but they didnt do it this year. I wanted to see what the metro rankings are too? Where did you get those numbers from

Wow, I wouldn't have thought that North Charleston was up there with Oakland and Camden. Those cities are the most relevant to compare with N Chas since they are part of a larger metro and are not the central city.

It should be noted this is one company's interpretation of FBI statistics and which are incomplete because not all cities report their crime statistics to the FBI.

In addition the FBI has this to say about the report"....

"the FBI rejects the study

That still doesnt change the fact that North Charleston is one of the Top 10 worst cities in the country based on crime. The cities violent crime rate and murder rate are both in the Top 10 to 20 in the country. The company that makes this list did not alter any statistics, so they are what they are. The methodology is fair, and besides Chicago, none of the few cities left off had any chance of being ranked higher than North Charleston.

The FBIs rejection is irrelevant in this case.

^That of course is your opinion. The FBI releases the statistics and I would assume they are completely qualified to describe how their statistics are to be used. You simply can't look at overall crime rates for something as inconsistent as a city limits (or metro area for that matter) and say that X is the safest or most dangerous place in the USA.

I agree. Thats not what I was arguing though. The point Im making is that North Charlestons violent crime statistics are in the TOP 10 in the United States Of America. This is a fact. Regardless of how accurate or innaccurate the methodology they use to calculate their rankings are, one thing remains the same and that is how extremely high North Charleston/Charleston metro regions crime statistics are compared to most other cities in the country.

If you dont believe me see for yourself.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/data/table_06.html