Connecticut Sports Topic

Lowerdeck

So yeah, pretty big time in Connecticut sports.

UConn football is ranked top 25 and will get a bowl bid. Possibly could get a BCS bid if they beat West Virginia.

UConn basketball is starting up.

High school fall sports are having their championships, and football is coming up to the big Thanksgiving Day games.

WestConn's women's soccer team is in the D3 Final Four.

Lots of things going on. Curious if anyone else here follows along.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

UConn football is ranked top 25 and will get a bowl bid. Possibly could get a BCS bid if they beat West Virginia.

High school fall sports are having their championships, and football is coming up to the big Thanksgiving Day games.

Channel 3 and CPTV are going to start up a sports channel, showing various college and HS state teams. Probably in response to airing the HS football championships, that was kinda cool (not having to go to West Haven to see Ansonia smoke New London, when it was 20 and windy outside.)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

UConn women are in the Final Four tonight. Why is this not a surprise?

On a sad note, a driver died in a crash today at Thompson Speedway during the Icebreaker weekend. His car got tangled with another, flipped/jumped the concrete wall, and crashed into a billboard just over the said wall. It's the second fatal wreck at the track in the past eight months. Time for some serious safety upgrades if I do say. Article here

UConn women are in the Final Four tonight. Why is this not a surprise?

On a sad note, a driver died in a crash today at Thompson Speedway during the Icebreaker weekend. His car got tangled with another, flipped/jumped the concrete wall, and crashed into a billboard just over the said wall. It's the second fatal wreck at the track in the past eight months. Time for some serious safety upgrades if I do say. Article here

• 1 year later...

The Navs (or whatever they're calling themselves now) have been doing pretty poorly for years. Never really did all that well with attendance IIRC, or at least the few games I went to had more than half empty stands. Dodd Stadium was in an awful location also, buried in the back of an industrial park that might as well have been Bozrah or Sprague instead of Norwich.

Much rather have gone to Fenway (like next Monday), or even Pawtucket - than this. Even though Norwich is closer and cheaper.

Yeah the stadium location is definately horrible. but the horrible stadium location for the rock cats is not an obsticle in New Britain. I think that the population is the biggest issue. We forget how small of a city Norwich-New London is.

If that stadium were build down on the riverfront in Norwich I think they would do much better. I also think it would help the city out quit e a bit as well.

Minor league baseball is a great economic driver. Sadly CT has done a poor job of levereging its teams towards it cities success.

• 2 weeks later...

High school football is getting better, and more attention statewide. Ch. 39 (through 8) has a game of the week, saw one their tapings when Ledyard beat New London last season.

The system's not quite perfect. Couple years ago I suggested changing the divisions by size to a promotion/relegation system used in European soccer leagues. Best teams in the state on the top level, playing one another - instead of going via conferences. Now that'd be something interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
High school football is getting better, and more attention statewide. Ch. 39 (through 8) has a game of the week, saw one their tapings when Ledyard beat New London last season.

The system's not quite perfect. Couple years ago I suggested changing the divisions by size to a promotion/relegation system used in European soccer leagues. Best teams in the state on the top level, playing one another - instead of going via conferences. Now that'd be something interesting.

Archived