Weekend shooting Downtown

Luca Brasi

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread kind of bothers me. I am white and I was raised in a middle class home. The first 3 cassett tapes I bought were Van Halen-1984(rock) Fat Boys-Crushin' (rap) and Weird Al-no Idea what album maybe polka party (comedy) Run DBC and UB40 were the next two. I KNOW that rap is not the problem, but Ignorance is. If there is a rap song about dressing nice, driving a flashy car, using women as trophies, smoking weed, and backing up your status with violence no big deal. but the problem lies in people taking those words to heart. Rap stars are almost exclusively black, therefore a young black man would more likely want to emulate 50 Cent. A young Black woman would want to Ho-up like Lil'Kim. So Rap music has done an injustice by giving a bad example for ignorant young black people to follow. Yes I know ignorant white people who like rap also follow the same path but like I said earlier that it makes more sense for the young black kid to emulate the guy that looks like him on MTV or BET. The ignorant suburban white kid has a whole different idol to worship, the violent, crystal meth/Heroin using rock star.

I like rap, I like rock, I like Reggae. I like all kinds of people and I generally think of myself as not being racist (but I know that everyone has preconcived notions of all different religons colors and cultures). I do know that I judge ignorant people(and can count myself ignorant as a result of my judgement). There is a great deal of ignorance in this thread, but to be fair there is far less than in your average persons daily life. We as people are prejudiced, ignorant, and closed minded. We make judgements based on nothing and we act on those judgements with our spending dollar.

The reality is that Hartford City is a Black and Hispanic city. The other reality is that Greater Hartford is a white city. The fact that there are gold stores, hip hop clothing, fast food joints, and hip hop clubs downtown is the business community reacting to demographics. If the only late night food place attracts the people leaving hip hop clubs is the kick off point for downtown violence so be it. The police that are paid for by the taxes on the corporate towers need to keep this violence out of the CBD. The hip hop clubs will always be downtown as long as this is a black/hispanic city. Yes this may scare away some people looking to move downtown, but more likely these pilgrims are attracted to the diversity. So, in short, nothing will change unless these acts of violence become more interacial and random. If the victim was a pretty 20 year old blond UCONN student from Jersey you might see some TV coverage and public calls for more police. So as usual, we have to just wait and hope that the city adds another 80 police next year and 80 the year after that untill the ignorant suburbanites stop thinking downtown unsafe, and untill the ignorant hoodlums stop thinking its safe to commit acts of voilence downtown.

I was surprised to see this thread not bumped after a few more Hartford shootings in a few days...

http://www.wfsb.com/news/14736868/detail.html

11/30- Shot on Cabot st.

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-mondi...0,1359138.story

12/3- 4 held after shooting outside Club Blu

and the one already mentioned from the weekend before last

http://www.courant.com/news/custom/topnews...sletter_subject

11/26- Fatal Shooting

From the 12/6 issue of the Hartford Advocate:

Murder on the Rise

Overall, serious crime in Hartford is on a long-term trend downward, but murder remains a stubborn and demoralizing problem, up by about 23 percent this year

By Daniel D'Ambrosio

Murder, a scourge that has marked the city like a scarlet letter over the years, keeping suburbanites away in droves and leading last year to a nasty public confrontation between Mayor Eddie Perez and Gov. M. Jodi Rell over whether to call in state police to help local cops, has mostly been off the front page of the Hartford Courant this year, relegated to the local news section.

Hartford Police have touted the city's dramatic long-term drop in so-called Part 1 crime

I would be curious to find out how many of those murders go unsolved.

I feel like I rarely hear about suspects in the reports about violent crimes. If crimes are going unsolved criminals feel as though there are no repurcussions to committing these murders. I know its not as simple as that, but more police work after the fact needs to happen than I understand there to be happening now.

Archived