BowTie's Boulevard Square

burt

Work is about to begin on the 17-screen cineplex on North Boulevard.

Hahaha. This is what I was trying to do when I gave up and just put this in Scott Addition thread.

Anyway, this is much better.

And thanks to blake for the following:

[url="http://www.streetsense.com/pdf/Boulevard%20Square.pdf

Rats!!! I don't know how to put it up but maybe blake will come to my rescue and post the streetsense site as well as a Thalhimer one.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish you folks could see the streetsense site because it shows that the cinemas will NOT be in the old locomotive building, but in a new structure in the parkig lot area. The locomotive building will be retail.

Where are you blake so you can put up that site for us, please?

More details:

17-screen Cinema Project underway in Richmond

The 17-screen complex will have stadium-style seating.

Plans also call for a restaurant or two and possible space for other shops.

The movie theater should open in early 2009....

Bow Tie Partners is renovating the historic building at the northeast corner of the Boulevard and Leigh. The structure, built in 1887 to make and assemble locomotives, most recently was used as an assembly plant for Richmond Steel Inc., which relocated this summer.

A second, smaller building on the site, called the brass foundry, also will be renovated. The Mosses hope to lease the 6,000-square-foot space to a restaurant operator. They are just starting to search for one.

A third building, constructed about a decade ago and used as a recycling and transfer station, will be torn down to make way for part of a 750-space parking lot.

An additional 12,000 square feet is planned for stores and restaurants.

Ben Moss said the most exciting part of the project is the redevelopment of the 52,400-square-foot main building into a movie theater.

Also, another neat tidbit:

"One feature that Charley Moss is proud of is that advertising won't be shown before movies, as some theater chains have started doing. It has a financial impact to Bow Tie Partners, but he said patrons shouldn't have to watch ads. Movie previews will be shown."

This will such a great addition to the area and a welcome sight for thousands of city residents.

Points worth emphasizing in Greg Gilligan's story are:

1. The cinemas WILL be in the old locomotive building and not in a separate building as indicated on the website (unless I misinterpreted the street sense website posted several entries above by JSI & blake.)

2. This final line from Gilligan's story: "They also own a downtown city block...Plans for the Jefferson Square project are being developed."

Maybe these should be consolidated in one thread such as BOWTIE'S' BOULEVARD AND JEFFERSON SQUARE PROJECTS.

Comments?

Perhaps someone should ask Bow Tie on the number of screens. In the past, I have seen Style print incorrect information.

Anyways... 14, 15, 16, 17 or 500 screens, I look forward for positive economic impacts in the area. Maybe this will get the Douglas site going? :dontknow:

That sounds very exciting from the RiverCityRapids description, but the fact that so much attention is going to be given to smaller-run, independent movies makes me wonder what is left for the BowTie complex. I assumed the Movieland would be for big time Hollywood blockbusters while Bowtie would be more like the Westhampton. Was I the only one who thought that?

That sounds very exciting from the RiverCityRapids description, but the fact that so much attention is going to be given to smaller-run, independent movies makes me wonder what is left for the BowTie complex. I assumed the Movieland would be for big time Hollywood blockbusters while Bowtie would be more like the Westhampton. Was I the only one who thought that?

BowTie is the mother ship of Movieland AND Criterion cinemas. The latter are located in only a few of BowTie's cities. I don't know for sure, but believe there is very little difference between the two operations.

Like Baliles of RCRapids, I'm also thrilled that the BowTie Company is moving into Richmond.

Jefferson Square, if it develops, will probably be a smaller but welcome set up, IMO. I think it will bank more on patronage from the two campuses of nearby VCU than will Boulevard Square.

One thing that I pray does NOT happen is that BowTie would lure The French Film Festival from the beautiful, historic Byrd Theater in Carytown.

And I have to say after reading Baliles piece that I'm still confused about whether or not the cinemas will actually be within the old Locomotive building or in a new structure.

• 7 months later...

By the end of last week, a very large green-colored banner covering the entire south end of the building was hung announcing MovieTime, the Bow Tie cinemas, will be open by early 2009. There's lots of construction going on at the site.

• 5 months later...

Here's some news about Bow-Tie Movietime Cinemas at 1301 N. Boulevard at West Leigh Street.

Grand Opening will be February 27th, 2009.

Richmond's new deluxe cinemas will have 17 screens with stadium seating in each. The complex will offer 3-D presentations. There will be no on-screen commercials, and a cafe will offer wine and beer. There will be abundant lighted surface parking.

Coming attractions will include:

JONAS BROTHERS - 3-D opening 2/27/09

THE LOVELY BONES - opening March 13

MONSTERS VS ALIENS - 3-D opening March 27

X MEN ORIGINS: WILDERNESS -opening May 1

STAR TREK - opening May 8

ANGELS AND DEMONS - opening May 15

TRANSFORMERS II - opening June 26

HARRY POTTER VI - opening July 17

Free Criterion Loyalty Programs will be available.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Note: I found this info in an ad in Richmond Free Press. I assume other film options will be available.

Archived