BowTie's Boulevard Square

burt

Here's some news about Bow-Tie Movietime Cinemas at 1301 N. Boulevard at West Leigh Street.

Grand Opening will be February 27th, 2009.

Richmond's new deluxe cinemas will have 17 screens with stadium seating in each. The complex will offer 3-D presentations. There will be no on-screen commercials, and a cafe will offer wine and beer. There will be abundant lighted surface parking.

Coming attractions will include:

JONAS BROTHERS - 3-D opening 2/27/09

THE LOVELY BONES - opening March 13

MONSTERS VS ALIENS - 3-D opening March 27

X MEN ORIGINS: WILDERNESS -opening May 1

STAR TREK - opening May 8

ANGELS AND DEMONS - opening May 15

TRANSFORMERS II - opening June 26

HARRY POTTER VI - opening July 17

Free Criterion Loyalty Programs will be available.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Note: I found this info in an ad in Richmond Free Press. I assume other film options will be available.

That's the same ad in the Times-Dispatch yesterday.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good find, Joey.

I was told the final "D" was being added to the name "Movieland" yesterday on the marquee facing the parking area. Also, a vertical sign hangs on the Leigh Street side.

Ben Moss and his son Charley have been in and out of town preparing for Movieland's Boulevard Square opening. I wonder if anyone has asked them about their plans for Jefferson Square, the full block bordered by 3rd, 4th, Main and Cary Streets which they bought a few years ago?

Thats what I was wondering about burt. I am still wondering whats going on with Jefferson square. I almost wonder if that will have a theater or not. My guess is probably not and have some sort of mixed-use there.

I don't think there will be much of anything going at Jefferson Square during this economic downturn. Hopefully the success of Boulevard Square and additional occupied Downtown residential units will spur Jefferson Square along.

• 1 month later...

Here's a neat story with video about tomorrow's opening of Bow Tie's Movieland.

From Dan Neman in today's R-TD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/entertain...-183307/215808/

I bet a quarter the place will sell-out tomorrow.

Side Bar: My dear old lady friend who likes to nip the occasional martini bought THE first ticket last Monday when Movieland opened its box office for the first time. She plans to save the stub. :yahoo:

Just got home from seeing my first movie at Movieland - "Il y a longtemps que je t'aime." There was a short line (4-5 people) when I came for the 2:15 showing. The relatively small viewing room (about 100 seats) was half full with mostly older couples. When I left around 4:30 the ticket line was a little longer (8-10 people), and one of the news crews was setting up shop. The cafe was nearly full with people, and the parking lot was just over half full. I expect things will get busier tonight.

All in all, a very nice experience. I didn't think anything about the theatre really made it stand out compared to others (besides the cool adaptive reuse), but given its location about 1 mile from my family's Northside home, I will definitely be back again. It certainly had all the amenities of any modern theatre. I am so happy I no longer have to leave the city to see a movie.

I also saw my first movie at Movieland last night... Our film (Gran Torino) started at 7:45. When we arrived at 7:20 or so after dinner at a full Buzz and Ned's, there were only a few parking spaces left in the far reaches of the immense parking lot. The theater was very busy but orderly.

The only noticeable gaffe of the night was that the wrong film was in the projector (The International). After a few minutes of confusion, it took about 10 minutes to replace it with the proper film. Everyone was in a good mood and gave them a pass as it was opening night.

I'm so excited this is finally open... I'll never have to see another movie in Short Pump or out at Commonwealth again!

Earlier I thought this theater might not do that well. But when I think about how few theaters there are I think it will do fine. Short Pump does not even have a nice theater. They need to have that theater replaced. The only other nice theaters are way out in Midlothian (Commonwealth and Watkins Center). If the Ridge was still a around and was a nice theater Bowtie might have a problem. But currently Bowtie is the nearest theater for a pretty large area.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the way they reused this building. Back in my days of living off Patterson Ave, I would've flocked to this theatre in a heartbeat and never again set foot in the nightmare that is Short Pump... Now if they can only find a way to redevelop the rest of that area since the Braves are gone.

I love the way they reused this building. Back in my days of living off Patterson Ave, I would've flocked to this theatre in a heartbeat and never again set foot in the nightmare that is Short Pump... Now if they can only find a way to redevelop the rest of that area since the Braves are gone.

There is a proposal for the area you are referring to. It is part of the Shockoe Bottom Stadium proposal.

• 2 years later...

Bowtie's Movieland bought the lot next door and is planning additional retail and/or restaurants.

http://northrichmond...aurants-retail/

Hopefully this will attract an restaurant to the existing Foundry Building.

In the photograph, the Movieland Theatres are in the long, narrow building in the upper left fronting North Boulevard.

An interesting note, to train enthusiasts, is a track that veers off the main rail line in upper left. It cuts through the parking lot and terminates at The Science Museum (old Union Station) on West Broad Street. A few years ago, when a tour train called The American Orient Express was still operating, it used that track and parked at an existing platform under the old station on its occasional "tour of the South." It remained overnight while passengers toured the area before moving on to Charleston and other historic cities.

Archived