Construction work on the Whitney Building

wolverine

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed those guys last week. They look promising, however, they also look exactly like the pallets that are by the book cadilac. My guess is that they are just storing/staging them down there in anticipation of the brick work on the BC expansion, but who knows, perhaps its something else.

The upper facades on the Whitney were beginning to deteriorate significantly. For several months, they have been tuck pointing much of the brickwork and replacing damaged areas. They've been working on the Washington Blvd. side most recently, hence the brick delivery. The damaged areas seem to be areas that were modified during the cornice chop.

Speaking of the David Whitney Building, you can now buy the up/down elevator indicators for $165 a piece here. Who knows how this guy got them. I doubt he was the one who removed them, but I do know that they were removed illegally last summer. It's nice to know that all of the architectural elements from Detroit buildings end up in Chicago....

good info guys, thanks for the follow-up!

The state of the Dave's on woodward is really looking increasingly pathetic in context to the other buildings. As I watched the parade on thurs, I couldn't help but notice a massive pane of half smashed glass waving in the wind, waiting to fall from the Broderick tower. The fact that buildings like this with known owners and active tenants are allowed to exist in their current state is really quite embarrassing and wrong.

At least the Whitney's owners with this work are securing it for future use.

With the Broderick it seems like we've been hearing about an upcoming renovation forever, certainly before the Book-Cadillac and Fort Shelby were thought doable. Yet, here we are now watching these two more expensive and complicated projects move forward. The Broderick with it's mural and frequent camera shots from Comerica is one of the most recognizable buildings downtown maybe even more than the B-C. It's just a bit frustrating seeing this project perpetually stalled while other more difficult ones move ahead

Archived