Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wolverine

Construction work on the Whitney Building

14 posts in this topic

Anyone know when all those big stacks of glazed white bricks will go up on the Whitney building? This looks very promising. I'm also very happy with the 24/7 security. Their absence led to quite a bit of interior damage.

I noticed those guys last week. They look promising, however, they also look exactly like the pallets that are by the book cadilac. My guess is that they are just storing/staging them down there in anticipation of the brick work on the BC expansion, but who knows, perhaps its something else.

It seems odd though since the bricks have the same white glazing as the Whitney, I can't think of any other buildings nearby that have the same stuff.

There is a crane out there today and they were hoisting them up on the Whitney. It looks like the upper levels on the Washington Blvd side have a lot of exposed common brick. I'll try to post a pic later.

The upper facades on the Whitney were beginning to deteriorate significantly. For several months, they have been tuck pointing much of the brickwork and replacing damaged areas. They've been working on the Washington Blvd. side most recently, hence the brick delivery. The damaged areas seem to be areas that were modified during the cornice chop.

Speaking of the David Whitney Building, you can now buy the up/down elevator indicators for $165 a piece here. Who knows how this guy got them. I doubt he was the one who removed them, but I do know that they were removed illegally last summer. It's nice to know that all of the architectural elements from Detroit buildings end up in Chicago....

The thing is, stolen property is stolen property no matter who has it. If you have images of these prior to them being disturbed, its possible they could be returned to the Whitney owner. (Like those Lion heads)

good info guys, thanks for the follow-up!

The state of the Dave's on woodward is really looking increasingly pathetic in context to the other buildings. As I watched the parade on thurs, I couldn't help but notice a massive pane of half smashed glass waving in the wind, waiting to fall from the Broderick tower. The fact that buildings like this with known owners and active tenants are allowed to exist in their current state is really quite embarrassing and wrong.

Oh it's always been bad. I wonder if the new bar on the ground floor has upgraded its restrooms from "go downstairs and piss in a corner."

At least the Whitney's owners with this work are securing it for future use.

With the Broderick it seems like we've been hearing about an upcoming renovation forever, certainly before the Book-Cadillac and Fort Shelby were thought doable. Yet, here we are now watching these two more expensive and complicated projects move forward. The Broderick with it's mural and frequent camera shots from Comerica is one of the most recognizable buildings downtown maybe even more than the B-C. It's just a bit frustrating seeing this project perpetually stalled while other more difficult ones move ahead

update:

i was downtown today and a crane was lifting the palates onto the roof. Tapezord myth busted.

It would be great if they did. I haven't seen any really great photos of it with it, but from what I've seen it once looked a million times more classy than it does now.