Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

I think another point to make is that this auto mall is close to the northern terminus of the line. It's really not much different from what's happening on the southern end. So far all we've really gained there is a new popeye's chicken directly across south blvd. from the 485 park and ride, about a mile up south a new quik trip gas station, and the Volkswagen dealership expanded their showroom. I'm sure we will see much of the same around the UC stations for the near future. 

But to that point, I think the main difference is that University supposed to be much more of a destination than the 485 station.  Academics, athletic events, conferences, guest speakers, etc. should make this end much more than a park and ride location on the edge of the city.  I would expect hope for UC Partners to be pushing for stations more similar to New Bern than Tyvola.

... or at least that's what should happen.

• Like 1

That is a great illustration, but I think the economics are more for that transformation to happen in South End and Uptown before UC.  We still have the BEFORE picture in our most urban neighborhoods.  UC does not have much of the basics there yet.  It is more that it is going in the wrong direction, building the before picture from greenfields. 

Did the Ryan Home's development at Arrowood station ever get going again?

Nope.  It's just an open field, overgrown with weeds.  I took pics yesterday, but they're not even worth posting.  They did get started on it before the collapse -- streets and some other infrastructure (electrical or water) -- but nothing since.

There are a host of connectivity issues that the CIP needed to solve to leverage the investment in rail into transit oriented development and quality of life improvements for existing residents. I suspect that the pedestrian crossing at 25th could be added by private development or the city as a quick and easy standalone project if the non-streetcar CIP does not pass, but it seems to me that the city council will act on at least the BLE-supportive projects at some point before opening in 2017.

What's the status of the connectivity improvements (primarily some sort of bridge (ped or otherwise) on 25th or 26th to cross the creek)?  Is there a project and/or funding?  Or is it still up to a private development or a city standalone project?

anyone have any extra brain cells to contribute to the wikipedia entry for the lynx? It has been thoroughly rightwingnutjobbed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_Rapid_Transit_Services

some of the entry's 'new ' features include a full four paragraphs on "Allegations of Corruption" as well as extensive quotes from Wendell Cox and  Dave, "the Mexican Wrestler" Hartgen. It basically presents the lynx as "worse for America than health care subsidies" and the transit tax repeal was a stolen election.

anyone have any extra brain cells to contribute to the wikipedia entry for the lynx? It has been thoroughly rightwingnutjobbed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_Rapid_Transit_Services

some of the entry's 'new ' features include a full four paragraphs on "Allegations of Corruption" as well as extensive quotes from Wendell Cox and  Dave, "the Mexican Wrestler" Hartgen. It basically presents the lynx as "worse for America than health care subsidies" and the transit tax repeal was a stolen election.

'This page was last modified on 19 July 2014 at 13:36'

I don't have the brain cells nor the time, but someone has been active on the page recently. If I get the time, I'm going to do a tax value analysis along South Blvd only from 485 to 277. I'm going to be surprised if we have not exceeded the tax increment needed to finance the blue line.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a 24/7 system. Even the London Underground doesn't run that late.

Yes but to his point, wouldn't they get a lot more usage/money if they stay open until after the bars close. Think of how much money people spend on cabs from uptown back home to southend, or from southend back home to uptown....that money should go to the light rail

Yes but to his point, wouldn't they get a lot more usage/money if they stay open until after the bars close. Think of how much money people spend on cabs from uptown back home to southend, or from southend back home to uptown....that money should go to the light rail

But also think about how many drunks would use this as an opportunity for a free ride home (more than they do now). I'm ok with the light rail not running at 3am. It's not a drunk bus. I think you're avoiding additional problems by cutting off service when they do.

But also think about how many drunks would use this as an opportunity for a free ride home (more than they do now). I'm ok with the light rail not running at 3am. It's not a drunk bus. I think you're avoiding additional problems by cutting off service when they do.

Excellent point. Touche. But you gotta think it'll run a bit later when it opens up to UNCC??

I was wondering, in +/-2 years when the BLE Extension is done, and the powers that be are still floundering over the fate of a new Amtrak station, where will people TRY to find a connection to the Lynx? It's inevitable that someone (lots of someones) will see on their smart maps that the light rail is actually pretty close (1200ft?) from the train station - and they'll try to walk it. So... how do you suppose they'll do that? And once people start getting hit by trains (god forbid) or run into sketchy people (god forbid), someone may just need to come up with a "temporary" solution...

BLUE: crow flies to 25th St. Station

RED: crow flies to Parkwood Station

Yellow: crow flies across the tracks and makes a decision on Brevard 

Kl0hXnC.jpg

• Like 1

I was wondering, in +/-2 years when the BLE Extension is done, and the powers that be are still floundering over the fate of a new Amtrak station, where will people TRY to find a connection to the Lynx? It's inevitable that someone (lots of someones) will see on their smart maps that the light rail is actually pretty close (1200ft?) from the train station - and they'll try to walk it. So... how do you suppose they'll do that? And once people start getting hit by trains (god forbid) or run into sketchy people (god forbid), someone may just need to come up with a "temporary" solution...

BLUE: crow flies to 25th St. Station

RED: crow flies to Parkwood Station

Yellow: crow flies across the tracks and makes a decision on Brevard 

I agree completely with this.  Unfortunately, much like will be the case with the light rail and Publix, it probably will take someone getting hit before the city decides to do anything about it.  A pedestrian bridge here is an absolute no-brainer.  And we are kidding ourselves if we think people wont attempt to walk across the train yard.  Just look at how many people try to run across Independence every day.

• Like 1