dubone

Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

3519 posts in this topic

I was happy to see the bridge over the CSX/Seaboard corridor looks like it is in place.  Symbols of progress!

Platform extension at 485 station appears to be complete.

Heavy work has started on the Tyvola one as well.

For those "in the know" ...I can't seem to find any timeline info on the CATS website, but here are some shots of the BLE I took a few days ago.
The first two pics are up near Univ City in the median between N. Tryon ST and the last photo is in NoDa at Craighead.
As you can see, they are much farther ahead on the platforms near Univ than they are in NoDa and Optimist Park. Does anyone know why the NoDa segment is not as far along as say Univ and N. Tryon? Just curious because at this rate, it will be long after 2017 before NoDa gets completed.

1 person likes this

Publix built a nice little "sidewalk to nowhere" on its back side, next to the light rail. Sure looks like they've got future plans for a pedestrian crossing or (fingers crossed) an additional station.

post-26833-0-83115300-1429987642_thumb.j

3 people like this

Publix built a nice little "sidewalk to nowhere" on its back side, next to the light rail. Sure looks like they've got future plans for a pedestrian crossing or (fingers crossed) an additional station.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It'll be part of the rail trail.  They plan on extending the sidewalk down that side of the tracks too.

Are we sure about that? Atherton Mill literally butts up to the tracks just a few yards prior to this. What is the plan to get the sidewalk from the old Tremont stop to this patch of sidewalk?

^Used to walk around Big Ben to the Farmers Market all the time. There's room. It's just currently occupied by the former, unused South End Trolley tracks.

Yeah, the Big Ben's part isn't a big deal.  I'm referring to this portion of it.  Seems nearly impossible to plop a sidewalk in there, but maybe it's wider at ground level?

post-26833-0-90519600-1430136325_thumb.p

Yeah, the Big Ben's part isn't a big deal. I'm referring to this portion of it. Seems nearly impossible to plop a sidewalk in there, but maybe it's wider at ground level?

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Just took a look on google earth and looks like this spot is no thinner, and possibly wider, than the portions that parallel Camden. Edited by MilZ

Well that's good then.  I recant my position.

That spot has some real slope to it also. It is not level at all. Though with enough grading I suppose it could be.

Could always route the trail through the old trolley barn. Not too different from the trail currently going underneath the rail maintenance facility.

^There was a construction crew working along the Atherton Mill trolley spur last week. Not completely sure what they were doing, but they had some equipment and the overhead line was grounded. Is the trail extension underway or is that a future plan?

^There was a construction crew working along the Atherton Mill trolley spur last week. Not completely sure what they were doing, but they had some equipment and the overhead line was grounded. Is the trail extension underway or is that a future plan?

Future, they are in the process of gathering donations/funds for the rail trail. They are supposedly releasing a framework for that project soon.

Rail was being unloaded off flatcars at the former intermodal site this weekend and being stacked along the right of way of the BLE.

Edited by ajfunder

The rail started showing up sometime a couple weeks ago and they're usually moving it around when I drive past in the mornings. I guess they're just stacking and staging it for now, because they're a long way off from having completed rail beds anywhere in the BLE

July is the target date for the first sections of rail installation, at least that's what I remember. We will see if they make that goal.

There are meetings coming up on 5/12 (university city) and 5/14 (parkwood to sugar creek) to start public review of the NECI projects. 

1 person likes this

my cousin's graduation was there yesterday too.

Did you bring to us any picture?

There are meetings coming up on 5/12 (university city) and 5/14 (parkwood to sugar creek) to start public review of the NECI projects. 

I'm planning on making it to tonight's NECI meeting at Sugaw Creek Church. I won't be able to stay there much past 7, but if anyone happens to swing by before then say hullo!

1 person likes this