Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

I was browsing the March FTA quarterly report (thanks again toz) and noticed that the completion schedule for the BLE has been pushed out an additional 2 months (its now November 15, 2017). When construction started the open date was tacitly discussed (via the construction timeline) to be January  2017.....

The good news is the BLE project appears to still be under budget.

Blue Line Capacity enhancement project is scheduled to be complete August 12 of this year. Platform extension at Woodlawn was approved in February (I did not see any indication of where the money for that 'extra' platform came from).

I was browsing the March FTA quarterly report (thanks again toz) and noticed that the completion schedule for the BLE has been pushed out an additional 2 months (its now November 15, 2017). When construction started the open date was tacitly discussed (via the construction timeline) to be January  2017.....

The good news is the BLE project appears to still be under budget.

Blue Line Capacity enhancement project is scheduled to be complete August 12 of this year. Platform extension at Woodlawn was approved in February (I did not see any indication of where the money for that 'extra' platform came from).

I'm already prepared for that date to get pushed back well into 2018. On projects this big, there are always delays.

I'm already prepared for that date to get pushed back well into 2018. On projects this big, there are always delays.

As someone who has been planning to ride the BLE to work in U City ever since I moved to Charlotte in 2000 I am less prepared for the delay.

6Kfr0Bq.jpg

Panorama I took of the bridge to UNCC station from N.Tryon

I've had a question that I've been meaning to ask for a while. Wouldn't it have been cheaper and have looked a lot better if the tracks just crossed the intersections and have the lights timed so that it wouldn't impact traffic flow much(there are already left turn signals so wouldn't really change much from now) as opposed to building a bridge over them? There's probably something pretty obvious I'm missing but that's been a question I've had for the past couple of months.

Even if the lights are times, there is still the possibility of vehicle/train collisions from drivers going around the gates. Not only does grade separation guarantee better traffic flow, it also eliminates grade crossings and the potential for collisions.

Even if the lights are times, there is still the possibility of vehicle/train collisions from drivers going around the gates. Not only does grade separation guarantee better traffic flow, it also eliminates grade crossings and the potential for collisions.

Plus, these intersections in UNCC because of the bad 80's urban planning are all have very low quality of service grades now. So timing them to include a train phase would impact traffic a lot.  

I was thinking of making the through lights on Tryon green at the same time as the light rail is crossing and make all the other ones red but I do see where idiots runnings reds would make that more dangerous. So I do see how the bridges make it safer I think think they are kind of eyesores though.

It's a shame we couldn't afford to DIG at these intersections instead of bridging over.  Being in the middle of the road feels like it will spoil the flow and potential of the area SHOULD it ever become a college town/pedestrian friendly environment.  Not that it ever will.  It's just nice to dream.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Vent.

How can we expedite the process of fixing the north bound track in SouthEnd where it crosses South Blvd for the second time.  The rails are bent/misshapen so much so that they have to crawl across this section before speeding back up for the last 1000 feet to the New Bern station...

I'll snap some pictures the next time I sit there for 5 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be offset by otherwise walkers/bikers ponying up for an air conditioned ride instead?

The subway is ALWAYS packed to the brim on Rainy days. Then again lately its been way too full.

That photo captures a lot of the features of the BLE, including the rail yard and the bridge over CSX.   This is "my" station, so it is exciting to see it finally happening.  It is just a shame it got cut from the original Blue Line, as it would have been very nice to have had it for 7y.    

The July ed. of NoDa News includes a bit about Sugar Creek Station. Of particular interest to this board: it shows a pedestrian bridge going from the lightrail station across the tracks to Davidson, approx around where it intersects with Norwell Place. The bridge is just abstract right now with no real design, but it's good to see that (for now) it's still happening. That will enable some dramatic changes to that end of NoDa

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I asked this before, but I'm still curious.  Now that the Gold Line is open, will the physical maps on the Blue Line rolling stock be updated to reflect the connection available at CTC station?  Or the fact that the line exists?  Or are they going to wait 3 years (I sure hope not) and update them once the BLE is complete?  If they already have, my apologies, I haven't been on the light rail yet this week.

I asked this before, but I'm still curious.  Now that the Gold Line is open, will the physical maps on the Blue Line rolling stock be updated to reflect the connection available at CTC station?  Or the fact that the line exists?  Or are they going to wait 3 years (I sure hope not) and update them once the BLE is complete?  If they already have, my apologies, I haven't been on the light rail yet this week.

I was uptown yesterday and no, the maps in the Blue Line do not reflect the Gold Line nor do the maps on the Gold Line reflect the Blue Line. I was also confused as to why they didn't include maps at each of the Gold Line stops, there is no way to tell where the streetcar will tell you unless you get on it nor indication of when the next one will come.