Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

On 12/1/2016 at 2:02 PM, tozmervo said:

Her article also led me to find the proposed bus map that's now posted online for comment: http://charlottenc.gov/cats/transit-planning/envisionmyride/Documents/Proposed-Scenario-1.pdf

The city needs to really get their online game fixed. This is no longer available, neither through this link nor the one from CATS own website.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jayvee said:

Does anyone know where I can find (or just tell me) what existing BL stations have been extended for 3 cars? In addition, which have yet to be extended and what the timeline is for them?

much appreciated!!

I believe 7th, Stonewall, Woodlawn and 485 have been extended. I don't know that CATS has ever set a public goal date for the remainder, but the gist was that it would be done in the next couple of years as the cobble together the money for the rest. I was under the impression that all of the electrical upgrades are done, so the rest is just physical platform extension.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:24 PM, nmundo said:

UNCC started handing out ID cards with contactless capabilities this year and you can tap them pretty much anywhere. I'm pretty interested to see how CATS handles it though, specially on the light rail

I am willing to bet that there will be two contactless readers on each platform, allowing riders to tap on before boarding. My guess is that the UNCC ID card is equipped with the same chip as a CATS fare card, such as MIFARE.

Anywho, I drove around UNCC and then up N Tryon to Harris Blvd and the signage is installed at the UNCC-Main Station, and the UNCC/JW Clay Blvd station.

Interestingly, the JW Clay Blvd Station is signed as "JW Clay Blvd/UNC Charlotte University City".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I believe 7th, Stonewall, Woodlawn and 485 have been extended. I don't know that CATS has ever set a public goal date for the remainder, but the gist was that it would be done in the next couple of years as the cobble together the money for the rest. I was under the impression that all of the electrical upgrades are done, so the rest is just physical platform extension.

This is all 100% correct. I'll add that the timeline for extending the remaining platforms is fuzzy since  construction is dependant on CATS obtaining a Core Capacity Expansion grant from the FTA to pay for it (its a federal grant program that is seperate from New Starts, Small Starts, etc.)  Preliminary engineering is underway now for the application and (Trump issues aside) the grant should get funded easily provided that BLE ridership is consistent  (or better) with expectations. It will require local match funding that can be pulled from transit tax revenues. 

Edited by kermit

Now I'm really confused...If that fb pic is the new car for BLE, it doesn't jive with the 3 car platforms they just installed on the entire line up to UNCC. Unless that specific car is for BL South.

Also conversely, during the platform extension on BL South, how will this work if a commuter wants to ride from let's say Sugar Creek Station all the way down to 485? Will they have to change from a three car train to a two car train headed south on the line and if so, would this be at the new intermodal yard??  

I'm just curious to know how all of this is going to play out from a timing perspective.

51 minutes ago, UPNoDa said:

Now I'm really confused...If that fb pic is the new car for BLE, it doesn't jive with the 3 car platforms they just installed on the entire line up to UNCC. Unless that specific car is for BL South.

Also conversely, during the platform extension on BL South, how will this work if a commuter wants to ride from let's say Sugar Creek Station all the way down to 485? Will they have to change from a three car train to a two car train headed south on the line and if so, would this be at the new intermodal yard??  

I'm just curious to know how all of this is going to play out from a timing perspective.

The photo is of a single car. Double that for a two-car train. Triple for a three-car train.

CATS has said they will stick with two-car trains until all the platforms are extended, with a potential exception for event service from 485 to Stonewall.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

I see. So in essence, BLE to UNCC will have a two-car operation for the first year or so until they get all station platforms on BL South extended and then seamlessly transition into a three-car train for entire line. Makes sense.

Longer than that.  If they started *today* on extending the rest of the platforms, I don't think they'd be done in 18 months....based on the first 4 expansions.  Although if the electrical is all done, as stated above, perhaps the work will be a bit quicker.  But I still bet it's well beyond Fall 2018 before 3-car trains happen.

Even though they won't be running 3 car trains for a while they will start running trains at 7.5 min headways during rush once the BLE opens thanks to the electrical upgrades an the south side. From what I understand the plan is to go back to 10 minutes once they have extended all platforms. I don't know how popular that'll be though. (Disclaimer: It's been a while since I read up on it and I may be wrong.)

23 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

48 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I think that is correct. Personally, I'd rather have better headway than larger trains.

Me too! One car trains every 5 minutes is -way- better than 2 car trains every 10 for riders. I do acknowledge that higher frequency does increase operating costs but I think it would payoff.

3 hours ago, Third Strike said:

Google has updated the aerials in Maps, and it looks like the shots were taken in November. Progress on the Blue Line and North Tryon look pretty good. Though, I'm surprised at the lack of work on the Sugar Creek grade-separation project. 

good catch, I think the photos might be early October based on the tree color.

there's been a lot more work at sugar creek than the aerial looks. Many bridge piers are up, you can find them if you look for shadows.