dubone

Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

3979 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, DEnd said:

Or you know it really is a very complex project.  Custom construction is complex, doing it inexpensively takes time, to do it well costs money.  The axiom in construction is there are three goals: do something well, do something inexpensively, and do something relatively quickly; If managed well you can meet two of those goals.  

Are you saying that CATS is doing any of these well?  It certainly isn't being done quickly or inexpensively. 

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, DEnd said:

Or you know it really is a very complex project.  Custom construction is complex, doing it inexpensively takes time, to do it well costs money.  The axiom in construction is there are three goals: do something well, do something inexpensively, and do something relatively quickly; If managed well you can meet two of those goals.  

Yes, that argument could have been used on the initial Blue Line construction (and it was - to death), but my observation is that CATS has learned nothing, changed little, and still keeps using excuses.

Specifically on a contractor being able to stall the project - and that the way the contract is written, they are within their "right" to do so.

On 8/15/2017 at 8:19 PM, kermit said:

Balfour Beaty is only slowly responding to contract deficiencies  and apparently the recourse terms in the contract are insufficient to force an appropriate recovery

Balfour Beaty are being pricks and trying to get more money out of CATS. (as a private citizen the only course of action is to publicly shame Balfour Beaty for their asinine behavior)

But, can we please have someone at CATS look into the fact that they wrote/read/negotiated and then SIGNED a contract that basically could jeopardize the federal funding that CATS was relying on.

Edited by Scribe

Removal of the switch leading to the Atherton Mill spur.

IMG_4912.JPG

IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4915.JPG

1 person likes this

^ Yea, CATS was looking pretty serious about its weekend maintenance blitz. They were retensioning cat wires near Carson this morning, trimming trees between Bland and Rensaliear, and re-pouring curb cuts on the rail trail at New Bern, Remount and Poindexter. Sadly this was originally scheduled to be the first weekend with the BLE

I guess I am glad they are pulling up the Atherton Mill switch, but I'll sorta miss the option for the overlay trolly service -- I thought it had fantasy-world potential for adding some frequencies in the intown core. Realistically three car platforms kill the trolly option due to boarding height differences.

Has anyone heard any discussion of what will happen to the replica trollys once the Gold Line platforms get rebuilt? Their reliability certainly sucks but I would be sad to see a fire sale.