Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

There was a large amount of activity at BLE stations this morning. Tarps were removed from the platform enclosures and fare machines and the stations are now fully lit (even during the day?). There was also lots of work happening on crossing gates. Full fledged testing soon?

#GofasterBalfourBeatty

EDIT:  I noticed lit signals (at least the one at the Northern service yard exit at Jordan ave) on the BLE today!

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

Is CATS running three-car trains on the Blue Line today?

I understand if not (gotta keep the doors in the last car closed until reaching Woodlawn or 485 which is gonna cause lots of confusion) but it seems a shame not to give it a try -- totally worth an experiment before the BLE opens.

Edited by kermit

just guessing based on changes in the nature of construction activty (looks like its all punch list work at this point) but I think we are close to BB turning the line over to CATS for full time testing. 

Testing is suposed to take just under six months before revenue service can begin  (so we are approaching the March drop dead deadline) but I think CATS has managed to do a little of that work already (not sure). 

Edited by kermit

I know the testing has been going on for some time, but last night I saw a test train at the UNCC station. (The pics are blurry because I was trying to get closer with half of the sidewalks closed)
imageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b8437016bd7e1682fa223a18dd766d73456a771c5d6b5655c4c460BE688371-DD0C-462A-8442-7CC0FCC1395B.thumb.jpeg.5158d5452d6227f8c61ef56fd8e95a5a.jpeg
8FBF91BF-A961-4190-BB36-3DAFA98F8ADD.thumb.jpeg.90e235ab6cc7c7b4c8572521c2dedfa8.jpeg
3413C16F-B95F-43E2-ADF9-E2AD4EFAC346.thumb.jpeg.d9ce6c9890c393899d1ce648acb18908.jpeg

I was driving down Harris and saw a train go over the Harris bridge! Very cool - felt like I was in Chicago or the Bronx. Overstatement, but it was still cool to see the train go over the intersection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I hope to at least see one High Rise or a Mid Rise in between Uptown and Noda, If we can get a few of them it would make our Skyline more Sprawling. But with that said, There is a plan in place to kinda create a "Downtown" Southend, I am talking about the Atheron Mills Area, They are supposed to be around 170' and a few other Mid rises will be in that area. 

Edited by Cadi40

Drove across the Mathesion bridge this morning and at a glance (I was driving) it appears that one of the two NS / NCRR tracks that runs over the new 36th st overpass has been connected to the main. While I didn't get a great view, the completion of this section suggests that the remainder of the work should go more quickly since this completed work should have also included the re connection of the Atando junction switch.

I am _guessing_ that within the next week the new tracks should be operational and the old tracks (the last thing blocking 36th st) can be removed.

Nice to see progress!

• Like 1

On 10/5/2017 at 8:44 AM, kermit said:

Tie replacement is -still- ongoing. Today it was on the N Tryon / Old Concord bridge.

I live in Colorado now and one of our local rail lines was just shut down for a single week. In that week the railroad replaced most of the ties, a lot of rail, and installed PTC on 64 miles of track through extremely remote mountain territory. Then there is Balfour Beatty struggling to replace ties on 9 miles (18 with the 2nd track) of track. They really are dragging there feet.

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, kermit said:

Drove across the Mathesion bridge this morning and at a glance (I was driving) it appears that one of the two NS / NCRR tracks that runs over the new 36th st overpass has been connected to the main. While I didn't get a great view, the completion of this section suggests that the remainder of the work should go more quickly since this completed work should have also included the re connection of the Atando junction switch.

I am _guessing_ that within the next week the new tracks should be operational and the old tracks (the last thing blocking 36th st) can be removed.

Nice to see progress!

At the Blue Line Update last night the Project Manager stated that Norfolk Southern has moved one freight rail line to the new tracks and that within the next 2 weeks they should complete the move of the 2nd track. That fact that NS is now finally doing this work removes the holdup on the rest of the work to be done at the 36th St Station and Craighead crossing.

Edited by uptownliving
update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Supposedly that is the plan.... I don’t really see why they would bother. It’s as good as closed in my mind. I just hope it is somewhat pedestrian/bike friendly to cross once the work is all wrapped up, especially with the apartments going in at Philemon and NoDa itself starting to stretch down Davidson street to Sugar Creek Station. (Deejai Thai and Crown Station Coffee/Pub at the new NoDa Market visible behind the bulldozer)