Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

My co-workers and I have a running bet it never opens back up. After a recent conversation with CDOT it seemed to be confirmed (to us at least). Correct me cause I'm most likely wrong on this but I thought Craighead was open til 36th opens?  Cause we were told (same conversation) 36th had another year before opening.  If true I have no reason why it wouldn't be reopened other than the fact they didn't seem to build the rail at the crossing in a way that  would be able to have a road cross it. Please don't take this as fact though cause this was one peon talking to another and one peon's possible inaccurate observations. So yeah. 

This was news to me, I certainly hope they can pull it off. The CBJ on the U City neighborhood development plan:

The vision laid out in University City Partners' plan for transit-oriented development along the Blue Line Extension in University City calls for a park at each transit stop that would connect to the city's existing and expanding greenway system. 

But, Heater said, there's no money allocated in Mecklenburg County's Capital Improvement Plan for new parks in the university area. She said two land owners have said they will donate the land at the University City Boulevard stop for that park, which is near a planned entertainment district. But the question remains on how to finance the park, which could cost $15 million to $20 million.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/10/16/significant-residential-supply-infrastructure.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I've done landscaping, concrete pouring, and stonework before. I don't understand how a park can cost that much. I'd like to see where the dollars go to specifically. I have a feeling it goes multiple places that don't have to do with the park.

At the low end, the math is about $60/SF for a 5 acre park. Grading, soil enhancements, turf, reinforced turf (if to be driven on), good quality hardscaping, planting beds, irrigation, underground electric power & lights, restroom buildings, plants, design fees, construction fees, etc. $60/SF actually doesn't seem like enough. 

• Like 2

I suppose there are a lot of things that are done that I don't take into account. It's just absolutely nuts to me to have a park cost 60/sf.

I'd bet if UPers were to start out from the base land price and built it out the best way we could, we'd end up with an amazing park for a fraction of the price. 

Have to keep in mind that the people in charge of the whole process don't necessarily care about how good the park turns out or the cost. Although it obviously has to be reasonable in case there's public displeasure with it.

1 hour ago, jtmonk said:

Sorry but i have to disagree with your last statement.  I'm a city planner and the city I work for is in the process of revamping many of the city parks and rec centers.  Believe me when I say that the people in charge do care a whole lot about how well the park turns out, there job is on the line.  

yea I was going to say. What kind of monster wouldn't care about a public amenity. These people are elected officials a lot of times, their actions of consequences in their careers.

4 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Which park are you talking about?

Eastway Community Park. The park exists, but a new recreation center is planned within a short distance of Old Concord Rd station, as the bird flies. But a very long distance as anyone would walk, bike, or bus. So much for planning healthy communities, when a car is still needed to access a recreation center.

• 3 weeks later...

The arms were down a long time at 8th and 9th St during the game.  Every did trust the risk and turned around after a while instead of jumping the arms, but it is not a good idea to make that mistake especially during the NFL game because I'm sure it triggered some anger against the train that was unnecessary.   Mistakes happen, but it did affect people negatively.

It appeared the red lights were still on but the arms up when we came back through after the game.

Albeit far less frustrating/ growing pains than what NoDa has dealt with, but it will be a welcome reprieve when it opens.  

• 2 weeks later...