Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

WSOCTV Channel 9 is reporting tonight another$15.3 million is needed by CATS to complete LYNX BL extension.  This is on top of $25 Million needed 8 months ago.  No delay in opening is expected. 

That is not exactly true, CATS only requested to draw another $15.3 million out of the Blue Line contingency budget. Its not an outside the budget appropriation. 

Hat tip to Lewis for doing the news dump at the best possible time -- that shows he is getting better at interacting with the public. 

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I honestly believe the major culprit in the delays in the North line extension is Norfolk Southern.  I think the city is avoiding adverse criticism of the railroad company because of the need to work with them on upcoming projects, especially the proposed transportation center on West Trade and the Red Line (which they caused an hindrance in the original route).  The south blueline towards Pineville had very little interaction with Norfolk because it was an abandoned rail line.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rancenc said:

I honestly believe the major culprit in the delays in the North line extension is Norfolk Southern....The south blueline towards Pineville had very little interaction with Norfolk because it was an abandoned rail line.

Actually NS caused significant delays on the original blue line where the line crosses over NS (not far from Costco) and where LRT runs side by side with NS (south of Arrowood). NS must provide 'safety officers' when construction occurs adjacent to a rail line and they never supplied a sufficient number for CATS' work to progress on schedule (despite initial promises from NS). IIRC NS was responsible for more than six months of delays on the line.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/24/2017 at 12:24 AM, kermit said:

That is not exactly true, CATS only requested to draw another $15.3 million out of the Blue Line contingency budget. Its not an outside the budget appropriation. 

Hat tip to Lewis for doing the news dump at the best possible time -- that shows he is getting better at interacting with the public. 

Still money that does NOT have to be spent! Over the last ~2 years they've racked up this contingency fund hits as if they are supposed use it up.

I will have to pull the articles for all the requests, but 2 years ago it was to keep the project on scheduled (for August 2017) -- talk about a fail.

And on Lewis on the "news dump" you applaud him for intentionally hiding/burying information from the taxpayers and his inability to run a large organization?

1 minute ago, Scribe said:

Still money that does NOT have to be spent! Over the last ~2 years they've racked up this contingency fund hits as if they are supposed use it up.

I will have to pull the articles for all the requests, but 2 years ago it was to keep the project on scheduled (for August 2017) -- talk about a fail.

And on Lewis on the "news dump" you applaud him for intentionally hiding/burying information from the taxpayers and his inability to run a large organization?

1) The project is still within its original budget -- the WSOC headline implied otherwise. You can quibble all you want about the purpose of the contingency, I am not interested in accounting arcana in this context. 

2) I lauded Lewis for his ability to play the game they way every politician plays it. I am pleased that he showed some awareness of PR realities because this is something he has struggled with in the past.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kermit said:

1) The project is still within its original budget -- the WSOC headline implied otherwise. You can quibble all you want about the purpose of the contingency, I am not interested in accounting arcana in this context. 

2) I lauded Lewis for his ability to play the game they way every politician plays it. I am pleased that he showed some awareness of PR realities because this is something he has struggled with in the past.

The contingency fund is there to cover the unknowns in construction, it should not be there to cover incompetence of the contractors, that should be covered by the actual contract signed. Alas, that is not the case.

Please point to a single technical reason that for additional funds? The closest I've found to a reason is "to keep project on schedule"

WTF keeps taking it off schedule!??

“Our contingency levels are in good shape,” said Danny Rogers of CATS, who is managing the project. “This is about keeping the project on schedule. We’re trying for summer of 2017.”

The first change approved Monday is to increase a contract with Balfour Beatty Infrastructure/Blythe Development Company for $7.3 million.

And on Lewis... great now we have a "savvy" politician leading a critical public corporation for the city - nothing can go wrong now!

Not to repeat myself, here is a summary post of what I posted on 8/9/2017:

1 minute ago, Scribe said:

The contingency fund is there to cover the unknowns in construction, it should not be there to cover incompetence of the contractors, that should be covered by the actual contract signed. Alas, that is not the case.

Please point to a single technical reason that for additional funds? The closest I've found to a reason is "to keep project on schedule"

And on Lewis... great now we have a "savvy" politician leading a critical public corporation for the city - nothing can go wrong now!

Incompetence by the contractors can definitely be one of the unknowns of construction, and the contingency funds are there to help cover this regardless of your opinion on the matter.

most people outside of us urban nerds do not want to necessarily understand or know why projects like this are delayed, as reasons are typically more complex than the typical 15-second soundbites that most people are accustomed to these days. If you want to know more, contact CATS, contact your representative or attend a council meeting and push the subject.

11 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I'll bet all of your questions will be answered in the next FTA quarterly report from CATS. It should be released within the next two weeks.

3 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

most people outside of us urban nerds do not want to necessarily understand or know why projects like this are delayed, as reasons are typically more complex than the typical 15-second soundbites that most people are accustomed to these days.

No wonder the media is crap, the expectations have been dropped so low, that the above is considered normal.

A public agency CEO or his managers should be able to provide a concise reason for the need of the additional funds.

And a good contract will always take into account contractor incompetence, but a good contract does not allow contingency money to be spent on incompetence unless a contractor is being replaced.

In this case, the contractor at fault keeps getting more money thrown at them instead of being forced to be accountable!

1 minute ago, kermit said:

I'll bet all of your questions will be answered in the next FTA quarterly report from CATS. It should be released within the next two weeks.

I read every one! Have been waiting on this one!

But, I highly doubt it will answer ALL questions ... the previous ones did not.

On 11/24/2017 at 9:31 PM, Scribe said:

No wonder the media is crap, the expectations have been dropped so low, that the above is considered normal.

A public agency CEO or his managers should be able to provide a concise reason for the need of the additional funds.

And a good contract will always take into account contractor incompetence, but a good contract does not allow contingency money to be spent on incompetence unless a contractor is being replaced.

In this case, the contractor at fault keeps getting more money thrown at them instead of being forced to be accountable!

I read every one! Have been waiting on this one!

But, I highly doubt it will answer ALL questions ... the previous ones did not.

Honestly, the real reason is that the contractor bid for this job when the economy was crap and now that it's booming it's worth it to them to put their resources elsewhere to increase profits.  If this job were bid today it would be much much more $$$.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, m1823892 said:

Honestly, the real reason is that the contractor bid for this job when the economy was crap and now that it's booming it's worth it to them to put their resources elsewhere to increase profits.  If this job were bid today it would be much much more $$$.

Yeah, but the contingency fund is not intended for this purpose.  Someone is misusing the funds, and CATS is all to eager to oblige.

@Jayvee disagrees with me, but I think this is the tackiest crap in the world. I think it looks like someone went to the vending machine store and decided to take the train home with their new coke machine, then forgot it on the platform. At least this one is against something and not just floating in the middle of no where like at Carson Blvd.

6 hours ago, uptownliving said:

Noticed 2 Coke machines at the 3rd St and CTC Stations. Looks like a sign of things to come.

IMG_20171204_103521.jpg

Hopefully the empties will find their way into that trash can right there and not all over the ground (or every other flat surface nearby)

• Like 2