Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

Can anyone find any pictures of the evacuation drill? It would be interesting to see.

After watching all of the "ride along" videos one thing that surprised me was the apparent lack of emergency phones/blue light stations/emergency trip stations alongside the track areas, especially in the tunnel area and in the more "rural areas" of the line (such as the area after the tunnel but before UNCC Main station). Although I suppose they are somewhat unnecessary with the proliferation of cell phones and the lack of long stretches of tunnel underground. 

1 hour ago, jednc said:

We sometimes lack discretion on what gets posted on here. This is def not news.

I dunno, I like the nerdy comprehensiveness of our site and I am glad to hear about issues like that here. I was really just asking why WSOC considered it to be news (and its a rhetorical question, I understand the politics involved)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

I do think it is news not major news but information of importance.  Who is paying for these repairs? The contractor or CATS or engineer?  I was not trying to bring any politics into this but this is taxpayer money and it deserves scrutiny just like the concrete tie repairs did.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I do think it is news not major news but information of importance.  Who is paying for these repairs? The contractor or CATS or engineer?  I was not trying to bring any politics into this but this is taxpayer money and it deserves scrutiny just like the concrete tie repairs did.  

So did WSOC answer that question? If not then what is the point of the story?

Every construction project will have punch list items remaining at initial completion, this is one of those things. They caught it before opening, assuming the contractor paid for the fix,  the process is working properly — thus it is not news.

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, kermit said:

So did WSOC answer that question?

The reason it is not news, is because in the article they state that it is already being fixed:

Construction crews are ripping up freshly poured concrete along the Lynx Blue Line extension nine weeks before opening day.

If you want to put yourself through their miserable reporting, here is the link http://www.wsoctv.com/news/9-investigates/whistleblower-9-exclusive-serious-design-flaw-on-lynx-blue-line-extension/682277810

29 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Are they not using the 3 car trains anymore? I thought that was the plan.

All of The stations in the original blue line aren’t fitted to handle 3 cars. The plans fell through with funding or whatever and now they’ll just run more frequent services instead of 3 car trains. 

Not sure when the time table for longer stTions is but I bet it’s far out 

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Regardless the cuase of the decision to drop the platform extension on the blue line

I applaud your positive - CATS can do no wrong - attitude, but this is just complete BS.

Nothing would stop CATS from running the trains more frequently with the 3 car trains. The fact that the platform are inconsistent across the entire line, makes it impossible to increase capacity any further at this time. 3 car platforms give CATS the ability to tweak 2 parameters instead of one, when dealing with demand spikes. They could increase or decrease number of train cars and they can tweak the frequency.

9 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

The plans fell through with funding or whatever and now they’ll just run more frequent services instead of 3 car trains.

It was most definitely no because they ran out of money. I posted the article somewhere up-thread, Lewis sent the letter to the feds stating that CATS is withdrawing from the "free money" program to "focus on other projects".

Edited by Scribe

11 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Why would the inconsistency stop them from running longer trains?   I have been on more trains than I can count in multiple locations around the world where there are announcements that say only cars X stop at the platform

One, most trains allow you to pass from one car to the next, not on the Lynx.

Two, this still does not allow you to utilize the entire line with ease, simplicity.

CATS has mentioned it in the past that this is a possibility, but we are talking about CATS here, they have not shown promise in how they operate the transit system.

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

I applaud your positive - CATS can do no wrong - attitude, but this is just complete BS.

I didn't say anything positive (or negative) about CATS in my post. 

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

Nothing would stop CATS from running the trains more frequently with the 3 car trains.

The laws of physics suggest that the availability of rolling stock would prevent both high-frequencies and 3 car trains.  But I do take your point. 

Edited by kermit

The problem with the platform expansion project is that it was planned, designed and had funding. The fact that CATS cancelled the project should be audited by an independent auditor.  How much money did we  "give up" that we do not know (with the current administration) if we can get again. This was a medium sized project (no where near mega size of BLE or Gold Line).

If CATS saying they cannot handle this project after it's already gone through so much of the process, something is wrong with internal management of work, this should not have been planed, funded, scheduled and announced to the public if you cannot complete it.

On Capacity vs Frequency:

From a convenience standpoint, frequency wins.

From a systems view, a blend of the two is more efficient/practical/useful.

Systems view includes:

• trains (and their maintenance)
  • track (and their maintenance)
  • power systems (and its maintenance)
  • support systems/personel

Just increasing frequency increases wear on other systems (track, power and subsystems of trains).

Just increasing train capacity means more capex for more trains, power systems need to handle longer train sets, and problem of under-utilization.

Statistically, there is a middle ground that provides longest life of the system and best convenience for its customers.

• Like 2