Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

22 minutes ago, Scribe said:

The problem with the platform expansion project is that it was planned, designed and had funding.

This isn't really true. The TIGER grant funded platform extensions at 7th st, Stonewall and 485, as well as electrical system upgrades along the entire South line. CTC station was originally built for 3 car trains IIRC. Money was 'found' in that grant for a platform extension at Woodlawn in addition to what was proposed in the grant application. That project has been completed and nearly closed out per the CATS quarterly reports to the FTA. The limitations of the TIGER program prevented CATS from getting the money for all of the platforms with that grant so they had to look elsewhere for funds to extend the remaining platforms.

CATS had intended to get a Core Capacity Expansion (CCE) Grant from the FTA  to fund the expansion of the remaining platforms on the South line.  The schedule for the preliminary engineering necessary to  apply for that grant had been completed (I am not sure if the prelim engineering itself was started). The CCE grant would have required matching funds from the CATS.  CATS / Lewis pulled the plug on the CCE grant proposal before it had been completed (and long before it had been submitted). Lewis never really said why he pulled the plug and it remains a mystery. IIRC he suggested he wanted to do other things with the CATS matching funds (like PE work for the 'big bang') but he certainly has not been transparent about that.  Regardless the backstory, it is incorrect to say that the extension of the remaining platforms were "planned, designed and had funding."  Other than scheduling the work to complete the proposal, the remaining platform extensions were no more advanced in the funding process than the Silver Line currently is. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, kermit said:

This isn't really true.

I am sorry, you want to get technical, lets look at the details.  Silver line is nowhere near in getting 60% of its funding lined up from the Feds like this project had. I will only use local news sources.

The numbers

• Project $40.25 million.
  • The federal government - $24.15 million
  • $16.1 million on CATS (which BTW is less then what it cost to expand the first 4 stations and the power supply for the original BL)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article46779765.html

this is November 2015...

That project is estimated to cost $40.25 million. The federal government is being asked to pay for $24.15 million, and CATS would pay the rest.

January 2017 we have CATS withdrawing - by that time the original TIGER grant for 4 stations expansion (which was over budget by $1 million) was closed out. 1.5 years of work from the original approval by FTA

CATS said Tuesday it has received permission from the Federal Transit Administration to begin design work for the other 11 stations

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article139256098.html

CATS chief executive John Lewis said “after a thoughtful review” with its financial consultant, Ernst and Young, it would have to withdraw from the federal program that helped pay for the station extensions.

P.S. you are CATS greatest apologist!

In summary, CATS is not only wasting our money, they are letting good money slip away from the Feds.

BLE was designed to run 3 car trains the entire length, so the cars were bought as part of the BLE expansion. They just cannot be used to their fullest.

29 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I am sorry, you want to get technical, lets look at the details. ...

I don't really see where we disagree, your quotes are consistent with my point. CATS never submitted a CCE grant so the money was never there to design the project and funding was never 'lined up'.

Edited by kermit

The only frequency difference between two- and three-car trains is between 7.5 minutes and 10 minutes for weekday morning and evening peak commutes. That's a difference of two more trains per hour (8 vs 6) for roughly three hours morning and evening.  Most customers riding outside these limited peak hours would see no difference in peak frequency at 15 minutes or four trains per hour, with or without longer trains.

Frankly, the peak should be fine at 150% midday capacity (10 min or 6 trains/hr) instead of 200% (7.5 min or 8 trains/hr).  A third car will add 33% vehicle capacity, while the frequency adjustment would be degraded 50%.  Transit models often over-project park-and-ride demand,  which is more peak-focused.  And while the line will almost double in length, most park-and-ride customers will not ride through Uptown.

For the same cost of 12 extra trains for 6 peak hours, peak and midday frequency could be a more consistent 10 minutes all-day, instead of 7.5-minutes peak and 15-minutes midday.  But once again, CATS will favor choice customers over transit-dependents who don't work 8-to-5 jobs in Uptown. 

• Like 2

A moderately cheesy video from UNCC (to current and potential students) about the BLE.  It looks good and I appreciate their intent:

"transforming the university's relationship with the queen city"

"take full advantage of North Carolina's urban research university"

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, grodney said:

Are trains running at 7.5 minutes now?  That appeared to be the case at 485 at 6:25 this morning.

I’ve been waiting at East/West for 15 minutes now and 2 south bound trains have come but 1 northbound hasn’t yet. Ugh. So I’d say they’re attempting it but it’s not quite working yet 

• Like 1

^ I got caught by this train on the way home and it never moved for over 30 minutes so I just made a u-turn and headed back down Tryon to the Matheson bridge.

Does anyone on here know the reason why this train is ALWAYS coming to a halt in this particular area?  Since they have re-opened Craighead, I have noticed that the train (no matter the direction) hardly ever moves continually forward causing huge delays.

I kinda wish they would have just kept CH closed due to the grade crossing there and simply waited for Sugar Creek to open. It just causes to many traffic headaches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

^ I got caught by this train on the way home and it never moved for over 30 minutes so I just made a u-turn and headed back down Tryon to the Matheson bridge.

Does anyone on here know the reason why this train is ALWAYS coming to a halt in this particular area?  Since they have re-opened Craighead, I have noticed that the train (no matter the direction) hardly ever moves continually forward causing huge delays.

I kinda wish they would have just kept CH closed due to the grade crossing there and simply waited for Sugar Creek to open. It just causes to many traffic headaches.

Southbound trains are entering yard limits here and thus through trains must slow down due to safety reasons. Inbound (Charlotte Yard) must also slow down because the yard lead and associated switches require even slower speeds to navigate. Also, there is AT&O junction where the O Line comes in to the mainline which occasionally slows mainline traffic.

Edited by ajfunder
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Google updated satellite imagery in maps. Great seeing all the progress along the extension! Especially in NoDa and UCity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmm, mine is still outdated (satellite view).  I'm looking at Uptown and CO is still there, no 300, Ascent, etc.  At least 2+ year old images.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

hmm, mine is still outdated (satellite view).  I'm looking at Uptown and CO is still there, no 300, Ascent, etc.  At least 2+ year old images.

Are you on 3D mode? Go to the three bars next to the search box in maps and select 3D on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1