Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

Now that Google Maps update imagery and BLE is clearly visible.

The BLE can easily double platform length (to 6 car trains) in all but one station.

The BL can maybe go up to 4 car trains in a few locations, namely the ones on the bridge overpasses. Tyvola and Archdale. I-485 should still be possible - it is not an arched bridge.

At least CATS is looking into the future with the expansion.

P.S. everything uptown would need to be elevated on bridges or lowered below ground in order to accommodate trains > 3 cars in order not to block intersections

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 2

Frequency and Capacity are both useful tools when solving problems with public transportation. As I mentioned up-thread, frequency alone does not solve all the problems, just like capacity alone will not. And new problems are introduced when one parameter is used as a silver bullet.

I am making an observation the that BLE is generally future proof up to 6-car trains (whether it is 15 years from now or 50 years we will have to wait and see) The original BL seems to max out at 4-car trains.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Scribe said:

Now that Google Maps update imagery and BLE is clearly visible.

The BLE can easily double platform length (to 6 car trains) in all but one station.

The BL can maybe go up to 4 car trains in a few locations, namely the ones on the bridge overpasses. Tyvola and Archdale. I-485 should still be possible - it is not an arched bridge.

At least CATS is looking into the future with the expansion.

P.S. everything uptown would need to be elevated on bridges or lowered below ground in order to accommodate trains > 3 cars in order not to block intersections

This is insanity.

Higher frequency is always better for riders than more capacity without frequency. Within a decade (possibly now) it will certainly be cheaper to convert the Blue Line to autonomous operation than it would be to extend platforms. Once automated, CATS can operate 4 one-car trains every 2.5 minutes for the same cost as one four-car train every ten minutes. Which would you rather have as a rider?  

• Like 2

^It would actually be every 75 seconds (trains both ways every 2.5 minutes), but if drivers get ticked then they can damn well peel off some gas tax money to grade separate the line. Should society be concerned about 100 people in an LRT vehicle delaying 10 single occupant cars for 30 seconds?

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, kermit said:

This is insanity.

Higher frequency is always better for riders than more capacity without frequency. Within a decade (possibly now) it will certainly be cheaper to convert the Blue Line to autonomous operation than it would be to extend platforms. Once automated, CATS can operate 4 one-car trains every 2.5 minutes for the same cost as one four-car train every ten minutes. Which would you rather have as a rider?  

I could be wrong, but I don't think it is possible to automate a system that still features active crossings.

There are automated LRT systems in existence, but they all operate either underground or without any type of crossings. I know San Francisco's MUNI system is automated, but only for the underground portion of the lines.

2 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think it is possible to automate a system that still features active crossings.

There are automated LRT systems in existence, but they all operate either underground or without any type of crossings. I know San Francisco's MUNI system is automated, but only for the underground portion of the lines.

yes, I think you are right about contemporary operations. But automated crossings for rail are a much simpler problem to solve than autonomous cars. 

7 hours ago, kermit said:

This is insanity.

Higher frequency is always better for riders than more capacity without frequency.

Holy crap guys, I was just making an observation of possible (theoretical) capacity.

I still stick to my comment above, treating a single parameter as a silver bullet (i.e. running trains every 2.5 minutes) is going to bite you in the butt in other areas.

2 hours ago, LKN704 said:

There are automated LRT systems in existence, but they all operate either underground or without any type of crossings.

Lynx was designed to run automated from the get go, I will have to pull the info on it.

If I remember correctly, it even ran automated until someone decided to take a nap on the tracks....

8 hours ago, kermit said:

^It would actually be every 75 seconds (trains both ways every 2.5 minutes), but if drivers get ticked then they can damn well peel off some gas tax money to grade separate the line. Should society be concerned about 100 people in an LRT vehicle delaying 10 single occupant cars for 30 seconds?

Yeah, they would build a dedicated ROW before they ran trains at that interval. Thinking other wise would be, insanity. 

• Like 1