Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

2 hours ago, Scribe said:

No, not really.

That would be like 2 people on a lake one with a smaller bucket and the other -  a few yards away - with a larger bucket and the guy with the smaller bucket gets a crack in the bucket, but blames the guy with the larger bucket for not being able to get water out of the lake.

If the grid is overloaded (i.e. not enough water in the lake) then that is most definitely not a Lynx problem, that is a utility supply problem (call Duke).

But if the grid was overloaded, then the entire area (whatever is serviced by the nearest grid sub-station) would be affected, not a single transformer at a Hotel.

Either way, that is what we were told happened. maybe the person who advised us was misinformed

On 2/22/2018 at 6:09 PM, norm21499 said:

I went to the Mad Monster Party this weekend at the Hilton University, and light rail testing caused one of the transformers in front of the hotel to explode. The hotel was without power for a while and people were stuck in elevators.

With no reports of any sexual activity... At all... Zero

(In the dark, while the lights were out, at the Monster convention)

Edited by jednc
Explaining my very bad joke

On 2/7/2018 at 2:55 PM, staffer said:

Wonder whether there will be a speed-up in full opening of the line, or a 21-day gap between inaugural run and March 16 opening.

5a7b5a43a8bf0_lynx0226.jpg.6310a234d2f325197123af4ba929548e.jpg

It happened. Big crowd at UNCC this morning.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/02/26/countdown-is-on-as-officials-cut-ribbon-ahead-of.html

12 minutes ago, kermit said:

I did notice the trains today said “To UNCC” which I never noticed before.

So are the trains open or nah?

Edit: they are not. I guess it’s just a fairly long inaugural celebration.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:45 PM, kermit said:

Gezzz things are messed up. The streetlights along the rail trail from 7th up past 9th are all blinking on and off in unison every 5 seconds. 

The sadest disco ever.

the crossing gates are no longer blocking traffic but they are flashing their white (to train operator) light.

They were still doing that last night (Sunday). Sounds like whoever the electrical contractor was for this project didn't do a good job.

16 minutes ago, southslider said:

Still no public schedule of when Blue Line actually runs. Just grab the train whenever.

It does appear that the new train and revised bus timetables aren't available yet, but according to the route change documents:

Trains will run every 7.5 minutes during the weekday rush hour and every 15 minutes during non-peak. Weekend service will be 20 minutes during peak hours and 30 minutes during non-peak

4 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It does appear that the new train and revised bus timetables aren't available yet, but according to the route change documents:

Trains will run every 7.5 minutes during the weekday rush hour and every 15 minutes during non-peak. Weekend service will be 20 minutes during peak hours and 30 minutes during non-peak

ugh. 20 and 30 minute headways. Ugh.

Ugh

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, grodney said:

Saturdays are 15 min 10am to 5pm. Sundays are 20 min 8:30am to 6:30pm

I can't believe they are reducing Saturday service.  15 is bad enough.  20 is garbage. 30 is unreal. 

If I'm a SouthEnd or NoDa resident... do I hop on Light rail with 30 minute headways to say WholeFoods or do I just drive to WholeFoods... or Trader Joes, Harris Teeter or anywhere else at that point?  Wait around 20 minutes for the train or just drive 5 minutes down the road.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

CATS really needs to get their act together if we are to be considered a 21st Century city.

We simply have to be able to move people around our city within reasonable frequency expectations and 30 minute headways would be unacceptable in most major metropolitan areas....even on weekends. 

• Like 3

Semi-related, the trains this week seem to be back on the old schedules.....small sample size, but consistent 6:20 and 6:30 departures from 485 yesterday and today, with 3:15 and 3:30 outbounds yesterday (old schedule switches from 15 to 10 minutes at 3:30).  In that 1.5 days that's more consistency than we've seen since they started "testing" the full route.  Odd, though, that they're back to old schedules.  Part of me thinks they bailed on the 7.5 headways and will end up at 10.

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Semi-related, the trains this week seem to be back on the old schedules.....small sample size, but consistent 6:20 and 6:30 departures from 485 yesterday and today, with 3:15 and 3:30 outbounds yesterday (old schedule switches from 15 to 10 minutes at 3:30).  In that 1.5 days that's more consistency than we've seen since they started "testing" the full route.  Odd, though, that they're back to old schedules.  Part of me thinks they bailed on the 7.5 headways and will end up at 10.

They stopped running simulated service on the BLE (none since the signal meltdown last week AFAIK), so that would certainly make the South line more reliable.

Balfour Beatty was out in force today handling what appear to be punch list items that appeared during testing on the BLE.

Passes to UNCC staff went on sale today.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

When I lived in Dilworth Bland was my station and if the train pulled away as I approached it was sit and wait 15-20 minutes or keep walking and arrive downtown at the same time (maybe a bit sooner).

I know what you meant, but the lack of a comma between "Dilworth" and "Bland" made me chuckle. 

• Like 2

In my opinion the major function for Bland street was the side entrance for trolley cars during the original trolley period.

http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs Alphabetical Order/Surveys&rstreetcarbarn.htm

The photo on the left of the link posted above shows the trolley cars at the entrance/exit of the barn corner of Bland and South Boulevard. Recall that those trolleys used South Boulevard and the freight line was on the rails currently used for light rail. This location allowed for trolleys to be delivered and taken from the barn directly from the rear while normal operations were from the side facing Bland Street. Trolleys could enter from South Boulevard. Maintenance was done in this building also. The Southern Public Utility Company was later named Duke Power and then Duke Energy. Until the 1980's this building was a Duke office and maintenance facility for utility operation. When Duke left the buildin in the 1990's there was some interest in using it as an historic function but it had undergone so many renovations over the years the only original parts were the trusses for the roof and some wall piers. A replacing building later became World of Beer among other purposes.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3