Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

3 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Want to really be upset? That facade was covered up by Duke Power in the 1960s when it converted the trolley barn to storage. When it was demolished in the '90s, little bits of it could be seen poking through. 

image.png.8e871c709599bb0d0207286cd47e38b8.pngand here is a rendering of it rebuilt and refurbished. Sadly this never happened (obviously)

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.png.8e871c709599bb0d0207286cd47e38b8.pngand here is a rendering of it rebuilt and refurbished. Sadly this never happened (obviously)

It's incomprehensible for Charlotte to lose such an eye-catching, elegant, architectural jewel as recently as the 1990s.      

Another fairly recent self-inflicted wound to Charlotte's identity and sense of "place" was the loss of the Antebellum ensemble of buildings known as "Granite Row" or "Granite Range" on the southwest corner of Independence Square in the 1980's.  Thomas Trotter, William Treloar, and other local merchants began constructing a row of brick commercial buildings known as Granite Row in July 1850 and completed them in September 1851.  They were the first brick store buildings in Charlotte.  Incredibly, Granite Row was torn down in the 1980s to make the Center City "more attractive."    Instead of making Charlotte "more attractive, "  it just gave credence to  the frequently harsh criticism seen in the national press describing Charlotte as a "soulless" place.  It's just unimaginable that Charlotte would so recently have pulled down handsome, human-scaled Antebellum buildings that Charleston, Savannah, Wilmington or Asheville would have rehabed and used to promote their vital and special sense of "place."  

Thomas%20Trotter%20Building,%20108%20S.%20Tryon%20Street,%20Charlotte.jpg

Thomas Trotter Building, 108 South Tryon Street

Link

(1)  http://cmhpf.org/Surveys/1975Survey/Pre 1900s Pages/pre1900sp5.htm  (Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission, Pre-1900s Survey Index)

(2) http://www.cmhpf.org/Morrill Book/CH4.htm  (A History of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, Chapter 4 - Gold and Railroads, by Dr. Dan L. Morrill, UNC Charlotte)

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Wait a minute. I actually remember the National Hat Shop and it was on North Tryon directly across from Eckerd. ( I have a story about that Eckerd). It was in what is now the Independence Center (and Marriott). It was in the Independence Building and I saw it imploded. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Building_(Charlotte)

Ground floor of Independence Building, National Hat Shop. Corner of Trade and Tryon and across from current Thomas Polk Park, which is where this photo seems to say it is located. 

• Thanks 1

University City Partners just posted this on Facebook. It mentions 10 minute headways. I really hope they're not backing down from 7.5min...

https://universitycitypartners.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/UC-Getting-Around-Map.pdf

The light rail trains run every 10 minutes during weekday rush hours and every 15 minutes in non-peak hours. Weekend service operates every 20 minutes during the day and every 30 minutes during late night hours. The trains operate 7 days a week from 5:26 a.m. to 1:26 a.m.

• Like 1

I heard on NPR today that the blue line is “spring development, including a full-service Marriott on the UNC Charlotte Campus“  that’s news to me, anybody have any info? 

There’s info in “The State of Higher Education in Charlotte” thread. Construction should be complete around 2020.
  • Like 3

image.thumb.png.21bdee0a5cd623536c3e19cba8a4d315.png

Not a fan of the uneven stop spacing on the BLE while the South line (inaccurately) has mostly even spacing. I do appreciate that the roads are included in an effort to provide some orientation, however I think their uneven use (particularly the interstate shields) is distracting. Also the continued use of 485 to identify the Southern endpoint, but the inclusion of 485 adjacent to the Northern endpoint is needlessly confusing (the "To I-485 label at the North end which actually is pointing away from 485 just to the right of the label).

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Not a fan of the uneven stop spacing on the BLE while the South line has mostly even spacing. I do appreciate that the roads are included in an effort to provide some orientation, however I think their uneven use is a bit distracting. Also the continued use of 485 to identify the Southern end point, but the inclusion of 485 adjacent to the Northern endpoint is needlessly confusing.

But the little bikes on the front of the busses are so cute...

7 hours ago, kermit said:

image.thumb.png.21bdee0a5cd623536c3e19cba8a4d315.png

Not a fan of the uneven stop spacing on the BLE while the South line (inaccurately) has mostly even spacing. I do appreciate that the roads are included in an effort to provide some orientation, however I think their uneven use (particularly the interstate shields) is distracting. Also the continued use of 485 to identify the Southern endpoint, but the inclusion of 485 adjacent to the Northern endpoint is needlessly confusing (the "To I-485 label at the North end which actually is pointing away from 485 just to the right of the label).

Isn't the CTC the transfer point to the Gold Line?  Why is that not indicated on this map?

• Like 1

Looking at that the time table it looks like the 22min travel time to uptown they've been touting isn't happening. It's 33min from UNCC to CTC and 59min from end to end according to the schedule. Hopefully once the drivers become more comfortable on the line they can shave a few minutes off that.

Edit: That's about a 5 minute saving from what google maps says it takes the 11 to make the trip from start to end. That's crazy considering that for about 4.5mi (about half the line) it's a fairly straight section of track with really only one grade crossing, 16th St (I'm not counting the Old Concord crossing as it's so close to a station it shouldn't affect top speed.) I'm really hoping it's just a CATS playing it safe with top speeds and they'll be able to ramp up speeds after they get comfortable with the system being in service.

Edited by nmundo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, nmundo said:

Looking at that the time table it looks like the 22min travel time to uptown they've been touting isn't happening. It's 33min from UNCC to CTC and 59min from end to end according to the schedule. Hopefully once the drivers become more comfortable on the line they can shave a few minutes off that.

gezzus, that is less than 17 mph between CTC and UNCC (assuming its 9.3 miles).

Edited by kermit

1 minute ago, End_The_Sprawl said:

Any idea why these trains go so slow? Maybe there are too many stops in areas with heavy vehicle traffic?

My guess (and its just a guess) is poor timing on the grade crossing gates along N Tryon. Having the gates drop sooner would help speed trains.