Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

Install fare gates at the busiest stations to impede access to the paid fare zone....case closed. 

The LA Metro has installed fare gates at some of there light rail stations that at are outside at street level. I'm sure LA has a bigger fare evasion issue that made the installation of the fare gates financially worthwhile, however.

As I have said before, fare gates would be relatively easy to install at CTC, Stonewall, Tyvola, I-485, Archdale, 36th St, and 25th st. I'm sure JW Clay could easily be reconstructed to allow the installation of fare gates as well. I'm willing to bet the stations I had just named account for the vast majority of the ridership as well. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 2

So this is half related to the blue line and half with the convention center reno. I wish the corridor that the light rail travels through the cc was entirely walled in glass. I’ve been on so many other transit systems where you could see straight through into buildings and vice versa. It would create a really interesting dynamic in the convention center to see the trains traveling through and it would make that part of the rail trail much more engaging once completed. Just a random thought for the day.

Edit: clarification

Each time I ride through the Convention Center I look out my car window and through the glass into the Center proper. And exiting northbound I then look through glass into the center from the outside and can judge, in both areas, how busy the Center is with the current day's exhibitor. I must be missing something in your post.

58 minutes ago, AuLukey said:

So this is half related to the blue line and half with the convention center reno. I wish the corridor that the light rail travels through the cc was walled in glass. I’ve been on so many other transit systems where you could see straight through into buildings and vice versa. It would create a really interesting dynamic in the convention center to see the trains traveling through and it would make that part of the rail trail much more engaging. Just a random thought for the day.

There is a portion where you can see the train in the Upper Grand Hall. See minute 23:44 of the YouTube link where the train looks into the convention center: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZnHbXY1M_U

This link shows the other side of the train's view also into the Grand Hall while a convention is going on at minute mark 33:30: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FneBZOkyqSc

The rest of the corridor is enclosed though because the view would just be of service corridors that wouldn't be attractive to look at (see page 3): http://www.charlotteconventionctr.com/sites/default/master/files/Printable CCC Floorplan_0.pdf

Edited by CLT2014

Each time I ride through the Convention Center I look out my car window and through the glass into the Center proper. And exiting northbound I then look through glass into the center from the outside and can judge, in both areas, how busy the Center is with the current day's exhibitor. I must be missing something in your post.

Sorry, let me clarify. I meant the entire extent that it goes through. Not just the short span. So much of it is just a blank, non-engaging wall.

43 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Question:  what is the policy of bringing a bicycle on LYNX trains is it allowed?  I can't remember and asking for a friend (really am) 

I did it nearly every work day for two years. There are bike hanger-hooks where the wheelchair space is. So I figure it's 100% allowed.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I did it nearly every work day for two years. There are bike hanger-hooks where the wheelchair space is. So I figure it's 100% allowed.

Was the train ever too crowded to maneuver your bike on/off?

2 hours ago, lit said:

Was the train ever too crowded to maneuver your bike on/off?

Only during peak rush hour, truly. And even then, if I was uptown, I'd try to make sure to hop on at an empty station before the busy stations (like CTC Station is always packed with people). It's more space efficient to use the bike hook, but lots of times people will just stand in front of it, so you gotta beat em to it.

But really when it's too crowded for a bike, that means it's probably generally crowded enough that everyone just deals with the space issue until the train car is emptied out.

It's annoying, and you may need to step out to let some people disembark for a few stops, but it's not that bad, you get used to it. The only downside is you have to wait to read your book :P

• Like 1

^Any extra tax for transit (the current one barely covers operating costs IIRC) would have to be approved by the NCGA, which is unlikely due to their current stance on public transit e.g. Durham-Orange Light Rail. 

If CATS wants to do anything then we will need to get creative with funding or turn to public-private partnerships, which Denver used for their rail line to the airport and other FasTracks projects.  

Edited by CLT704
  • Like 1

On my way back from a Heist can run today, this gentleman got off at Parkwood and started walking on the tracks in front of the train.  There were 2 fare-checkers* on board, so the conductor came back and opened the door so they could jump off and take care of it.  A good time was had by all.

*For the first time ever, I was caught without a ticket.  Duke mails my monthly pass to me, and I had neglected to put it in my wallet over the weekend.  After producing June and May monthly passes from said wallet, the kind fare-checker let me off with only a stern verbal warning.

IMG_20180702_122013.jpg

IMG_20180702_122001.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

They're running a bus bridge between UNCC and JW Clay. Apparently it's a power line issue.

Update: Apparently someone ran into one of the poles, it'll take a few days to fix according to CATS.

Edited by nmundo
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nmundo said:

They're running a bus bridge between UNCC and JW Clay. Apparently it's a power line issue.

Update: Apparently someone ran into one of the poles, it'll take a few days to fix according to CATS.

I'm super curious to know the mechanics of how someone managed to run into a catenary pole.