Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

16 minutes ago, hinsp0 said:

I left DC in 2008.  The metro system was pretty reliable in my experience.  I, like you, have heard from many fiends who still live there that the system’s reliability and quality has declined.

People are voting with their feet too.

Between 2008 and 2012, weekday DC metro ridership was around 750,000 trips each day. Fast forward to 2017 and weekday ridership had fallen to 612,000 per weekday (-18.4%) due to the reliability issues. 

The decline is even worse for weekend trips, where people are picking Uber and Lyft over long headways.

Once you lose riders, it is harder to get then back.

Edited by CLT2014

56 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

People are voting with their feet too.

Between 2008 and 2012, weekday DC metro ridership was around 750,000 trips each day. Fast forward to 2017 and weekday ridership had fallen to 612,000 per weekday (-18.4%) due to the reliability issues. 

The decline is even worse for weekend trips, where people are picking Uber and Lyft over long headways.

Once you lose riders, it is harder to get then back.

Do you really think this is mostly Uber and Lyft?  (not blue font...as I am actually curious) I would love to see granular data that could be used to compare ridership on days with good weather versus days with bad.  I would also be interested in comparing that data to ride counts and trip routes on dockless bikes and scooters.  When I moved back to Charlotte in April, I moved into the Silos.  I didn't have a car, so I was probably not representative of the average Charlottean.  However, I usually took the train to work just south of Uptown. If you recall April was fairly cold and wet by our standards.  When the weather got better, I rode a dockless bike to work most days and would take the train when it rained.  Eventually, I bought a bike to commute.  Looking around on the rail trail in the morning, I get the sense that there are a lot of commuters taking those modes of transport over the light rail.  I also assume that those people that choose to ride a bike or scooter to work are probably more inclined to take the train than most normal people.  

If the city does not already get the data from the bike and scooter companies, they should require that for the license.  If they really want to build out a green transport system, then more data on variable means of transport would be very beneficial.

29 minutes ago, pgsinger said:

Do you really think this is mostly Uber and Lyft?  (not blue font...as I am actually curious) I would love to see granular data that could be used to compare ridership on days with good weather versus days with bad.  I would also be interested in comparing that data to ride counts and trip routes on dockless bikes and scooters.  When I moved back to Charlotte in April, I moved into the Silos.  I didn't have a car, so I was probably not representative of the average Charlottean.  However, I usually took the train to work just south of Uptown. If you recall April was fairly cold and wet by our standards.  When the weather got better, I rode a dockless bike to work most days and would take the train when it rained.  Eventually, I bought a bike to commute.  Looking around on the rail trail in the morning, I get the sense that there are a lot of commuters taking those modes of transport over the light rail.  I also assume that those people that choose to ride a bike or scooter to work are probably more inclined to take the train than most normal people.  

If the city does not already get the data from the bike and scooter companies, they should require that for the license.  If they really want to build out a green transport system, then more data on variable means of transport would be very beneficial.

Sorry, that data was regarding a conversation on the previous page about transit reliability in general and the on going issues in cities like DC and NYC with keeping the system reliable. The data points are actually for DC metro, which offers a cautionary tale on going from a well run system to losing lots of riders due to mismanagement. 

For CLT, the tie is was some of our late trains and track maintenance as UNCC starts.

Edited by CLT2014

I would add that a PR disaster like an accident would be very very negative for CATS on the heels of a major "Big Bang" transit push.  I imagine John Lewis is trying to stay out of the news until a plan is announced - and if it means slower, safer trains so be it. 

Every article and news blurb about the announcement would mention any major accident in the first paragraph and you don't want that kind of association when asking for $5B+.

8 hours ago, kermit said:

I don’t disagree with this assesment, but I would add that slower than necessary trains will depress ridership below expectations,  something that will also appear in  the first paragraph of every story about expansion.

f7FdEdG.jpg

Looks like the light rail and streetcar will be completely shut down this weekend.  CO: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article217071935.html

"Maintenance to be performed includes adding ballast, painting, landscaping, track and signal work, tree trimming and work on crossings."

1. I'm glad there isn't a home Panthers game (Friday).

2. I hope this improves trip times and other issues we've had.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

While it is only the second day of class my early observations are that relatively few students are using the Blue Line to get to campus (despite this year's $465 parking permit fee).

I only have six trains worth of observations (I have seen a total of four student looking people who left the train at UNCC main on those trains) but parking at Old Concord only appears to be marginally fuller and the Waffle House deck is no fuller (although technically students cant park there).

On the bright side, I continue to be surprised by the number of coworkers who take the train despite not living particularly close to it. Unfortunately these numbers are tiny in comparison to the student population.

Its early, the trains I took may not be representative, it could change, yada yada. But I am disappointed by the early changes.

There aren't many single family neighborhoods close to the Light Rail. If you are living at home with mom and dad, you are most likely going to drive from your parent's house in Mint Hill, Concord, Harrisburg, Cotswold, East Charlotte, West Charlotte, Huntersville, etc... because driving to the station and switching modes takes time. If you are able to afford a South End apartment in college, you likely got your BMW 3 series paid by mom and dad in the garage and you are driving to campus.

For local students that do move out of mom and dad's but not into a dorm, it seems like they try to get an apartment close to campus.

Was there any research on how many UNCC students commuting to campus live within a mile of a station and not in walking distance to campus?

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

I know of a few people taking the train instead of parking this year. One example is my slightly older friend lives in Cherry, he takes the trolley up to the CTC station and rides it to UNCC everyday so he doesn't have to spend his money on a parking pass

Edited by Trickbot
  • Like 3

I agree give the students some time and they will be exploring.  My nephew is a freshman and this is his first week of classes.   But he can't wait to ride his bike along the Rail Trail.   And many are from small towns across NC.  Even my nephew who is from a city of 8.3 million in China remarks how clean uptown is and of course the air here is delightful compared to the Pearl River delta cities of southern China.  

• Like 3

On 8/22/2018 at 10:58 AM, kermit said:

While it is only the second day of class my early observations are that relatively few students are using the Blue Line to get to campus (despite this year's $465 parking permit fee).

I only have six trains worth of observations (I have seen a total of four student looking people who left the train at UNCC main on those trains) 

Its early, the trains I took may not be representative, it could change, yada yada. But I am disappointed by the early changes.

I’ll recant this and blame poor sampling technique. Late afternoon trains leaving campus appear to be performing well (40plus riders in my vehicle today at 5:15). One surprise was that nearly half of them only went one stop to JW Clay.

One of two track geometry vehicles (I think) in Southend today.

C35A108F-B822-4851-9905-3E6129C21063.jpeg

A ride down the railtrail left me impressed with the maintenance work that CATS was able to organize. It looks like they will reset ballast and geometry for the whole line, plus their was some tree trimming and drainage work along the segment I passed by today. Despite the unfortunate weekend they choose to close the line I am certainly glad CATS are setting a pattern of staying on top of maintenance issues, there are lots of examples of the bad things that happen when its neglected (DC Metro and NYC MTA). Unrelated to track maintenance I'll also give props to CATS for maintaining clean LRT vehicles based on my daily commuting experience.  Hat tip! (now if they could only run the 10 minute all day frequencies they promised in the leadup to the BLE)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

In my mind, this was the only feasible weekend left. Next weekend you have college football start up at Uncc on top of the belk college kickoff of west Virginia and Tennessee at Panthers stadium Saturday and NFL starts the following week after. They had to do it this weekend. The only thing I didn't like was when driving past stations there was no notice that they were closed or out of service on the electronic signs. Very bad if you're an out of towner or anyone really who doesn't keep up with this stuff. A simple message on the scrolling notification boards at the stations could have been a nice heads up. *However there could have been audible notifications that I did not hear. 

With light rail out, we drove to Uptown yesterday. I saw a few A frame signs at the N Tryon stations indicating the station was closed and where to go for the busses. Only saw one person sitting at a station, and they had a CATS hat on so idk. Would’ve said something, but she had the grimace of a DMV worker who is overdue for their smoke break.
That all said, I’m not sure if it was the lack of light rail or the fact that there was a Knights game, but parking in uptown was packed compared to a normal weekend.