Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

Today, 201 was operating as a single consist. That was ugly. Do cars 202 and 203 run anymore? I only see 201 and 204.

Additionally, why does CATS do such a poor job communicating service impacts? It's fascinating to me that they added SpokeHub (in addition to Twitter et al.) and yet, they still are not conveying much useful information. I won't harp on the crummy RideCats (sic) app.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, kermit said:

Based on rush hour loads I do think CATS needs to add enough vehicles to run 5 minute peak service (and 10 minute remainder of day (and night) service).

I'd be happy if they could just run the service smoothly and on-time based on their published timetables although extending peak service to 10 a.m. and from 3:30 to 8:00 with 5 minute headways would be lovely (and 10 minute headways until 11) would make transit just that much more palatable. Since they won't open their location data to developers, I want to see them use it to good effect - still not sure why they're clinging so tightly to control of the data.

It still feels like 50%+ of the drivers are in training based on the lack of smoothness (starting and stopping) and the fact trains seem to stop randomly (for green signals no less).

• Thanks 1

With security checks and all to ight the light rail was in complete disarray.  Two trains at UNCC went out of service for 30+ minutes to "wait on the checks being set up" at 4. Then at 8 waited 25 minutes for a train after just missing one at 7th. Charlotte was not ready for this transportation-wise

3 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Hope they iron out all the wrinkles tonight. Will be even more ppl tomorrow and Sunday. Weather appears to be shifting a bit. Let's hope!

Don't bet on it. Excuses come easy and there are no public forums to discuss improvement. I'm a huge supporter of public transit but I would not support any future projects unless there's a staff overhaul. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Trickbot said:

With security checks and all to ight the light rail was in complete disarray.  Two trains at UNCC went out of service for 30+ minutes to "wait on the checks being set up" at 4. Then at 8 waited 25 minutes for a train after just missing one at 7th. Charlotte was not ready for this transportation-wise

I love to complain about all of this, but I found it smoother than expected.  Train back after the game was delayed getting to 7th, but the other two I took during the afternoon/evening were on time.  

1 hour ago, Desert Power said:

I love to complain about all of this, but I found it smoother than expected.  Train back after the game was delayed getting to 7th, but the other two I took during the afternoon/evening were on time.  

Ditto. Today was very smooth and on time. Light rail was packed around 1pm. Ton of ppl uptown and the mint musuem Jordan experience, line was out the door down tryon. Telling you guys, we need this permanently. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

John Lewis doesn’t hold an elected position by any chance? I guess I really don’t know anything about CATS as it relates to city/county relationship....

Nope.  CATS is a business owned by the city (like the airport). Ultimately the city manager can fire him, but that’s not likely to happen unless the board approves.