Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

Wow. That's a horrible photoshopping job.

That picture wasn't photoshopped. The car was manufactured in Atlanta and put on display for 2 days back in 2010...

"Tracks were being laid in front of the Metro Atlanta Chamber this week so Georgians could see an actual light rail car — making a stop in town for a couple of days.

The light rail vehicle, which also can operate as a streetcar, was on its way to Charlotte, N.C. as part of the North Carolina city’s second phase of its public transit system.

Of course Siemens, the German firm that designed and manufactured the light rail car, wanted Atlantans to see what they could have if they got their act together."

Edited by nyxmike

Interesting, I know all the cars will be going to California for running gear rebuilds over the next two years, is this one of them? No cars have been ordered besides the 20 in service now including 117 in the photo. 117 was part of 4 extra cars built in 2009 because of high ridership to add capacity to the line and its 16 original cars, I thought it would have been one of the last to go west for the rebuild. New cars will be ordered most likely in 2013 or 2014 and will most likely be numbered 121-138 bringing the fleet up to 38 LRV's and 3 replica streetcars (91,9,93) which will be used on Charlottes starter streetcar line plus historic car 85.

Edited by ajfunder

Are you sure car 85 will be used on Trade/Elizabeth? I thought it would hold up to the risk of an accident.

I'm excited about the BLE money. That is a strong endorsement that the administration is confident it will get a FFGA this fall. It was good enough to get the news late last year about 18m for the south corridor capacity increases, and a record of decision to allow final design and right of way acquisition. I bet this money is just an amount for that work, but it is great to see it in the budget. Of course, if it gets a FFGA, then the FTA is basically promising it to be in the budgets for the next few years, but they haven't promised it, but still have given us a sizable amount of money.

, isn't that the money we already knew was coming? It is awesome news is that they listed it as recommended and that important people say that it is likely to pass and actually get a FFGA this fall. That will be extra good when we and the administration can boast about it at the DNC this fall.

It would be great if it gets built while there is still a highly competitive construction industry, so that like other recent projects, bids can come in under budget. It would be great not only to save the money, but also, I wonder if that will allow them to add back other things that have been cut or unfunded changes like 3-car capacity in some additional stations in the south.

Not only will the BLE bring the Blue line marginally closer to where I live, but I know for certain I will use it to go to NoDa a lot, so I am excited that it will likely be under construction next year.

The $70m is just this year's budget's installment. But I'm sure it is primarily for the work that is approved to do this year, like ROW purchase and final engineering.

http://charmeck.org//city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/projectfacts/Documents/BLE%20MTC%202011%200126.pdf

I was reacquainting myself with some of the updates/budget cuts for the BLE from a year ago. I actually do agree with or at least understand most of the changes. Some parts you really have to wonder why they were in there in the first place, especially a separate vehicle maintenance facility at the N-S yards, which of course we are hoping will eventually evolve and shift to the airport facilities after the intermodal yard is relocated. Of course it makes sense to have all of the same type of vehicle maintained at the same location on S Tryon rather than split your skilled workforce up.

I also really like the expanded JW Clay station with the deck. Perhaps, too, the retail might benefit from people commuting to that stop, with trip reductions from people stopping at the shops before finishing their commute, rather than just hopping on 485.

Also, at University City, they went ahead and built the street connection north to Ikea Blvd, which cuts 2/3 the distance for I-85 commuters, as well as solidifies the street connection to the developable land which Crescent has master planned as the residential part of their development. It also makes it more walkable to any new smaller retail clustered in new lots south of Ikea.

http://www.crescentretail.com/belgate/siteplan.asp

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/Documents/University%20City%20Blvd%20Station%20Site%20Plan%20-%20August%202011.pdf

Car 85 is not going to be used on the streetcar line I don't think, I meant it is functional and technically part of the roster, it is still used on special occasions.

I think the LRV facility at the intermodal yard is intended to eventually be the main maintenance facility because of its central location. Don't forget the 10 mile streetcar and Silver line if LRT would use the current intermodal site. The South Blvd. location doesn't have much room to expand and it is not in a central location, which is why a storage tracks will still be built at the facility at the intermodal yard because the current facility can't even handle the 18 extra trains for the extension, and when you factor in the full streetcar and Silver line we could be looking at around 50 new LRV's. Although only storage is need for the BLE, eventually that intermodal site will become the main and central facility on the LRT and streetcar system.

Edited by ajfunder

• 1 month later...

Better to have the reserve than not, really, and obviously there is some reasoning, as there is always some unknown in budgeting whether some bids will come in too high. Although, lately, the trend has been toward lower than expected bids, so hopefully we'll have some left over that could potentially go to enhancements, such as a few more South Blue Line expansions to 3-car, etc.

The south line did have some overages because of the rapid rise in concrete and steel costs during the boom years.

Better to have the reserve than not, really, and obviously there is some reasoning, as there is always some unknown in budgeting whether some bids will come in too high. Although, lately, the trend has been toward lower than expected bids, so hopefully we'll have some left over that could potentially go to enhancements, such as a few more South Blue Line expansions to 3-car, etc.

Too bad some cost cutting decisions can't be fixed later with the reserve. It appears the newest design for 36th Street Station is to omit the elevator stack for a labyrinth of ramps. YUK

Eww. That's a shame, do you have a link? I guess in some ways ramps are less prone to vandalism and maintenance issues, but hopefully they don't have more than one or two switchbacks. I had liked the idea of older designs of Sugar Creek (and I thought 36th), where the road would be sunken under the tracks, allowing the sidewalks to potentially stay level as the 'ramp' to the station.

Value engineering and cost cutting are not always a shame, as it benefits us in the long run to have had a less expensive line. I am glad that this line opted for bridges where necessary and avoided some of the negative impressions like what happened at Scaleybark.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/Documents/36th%20Street%20Station%20Site%20Plan%20-%20August%202011.pdf

Yeah, that is what is happening, escapists, not a series of ramps. The station will be at the same level as the current 36th street, so when they lower 36th street, it will pass under a couple short rail bridges. So if you are heading toward 36th and Davidson, you stay at the same grade. If you are going west and you are ambulatory, you walk down the steps to the now lowered 36th street, and if on wheels, you would go east and then turn back west to go under the tracks.

http://charmeck.org/...gust%202011.pdf

Yeah, that is what is happening, escapists, not a series of ramps. The station will be at the same level as the current 36th street, so when they lower 36th street, it will pass under a couple short rail bridges. So if you are heading toward 36th and Davidson, you stay at the same grade. If you are going west and you are ambulatory, you walk down the steps to the now lowered 36th street, and if on wheels, you would go east and then turn back west to go under the tracks.

I wouldn't trust that PDF. The Community Builders - developers of the Johnston and Meck Mills (which abut this station) have been working with CATS to redesign the whole surrounding area on this side of the street. CATS had been working under the assumption that they could not use any of the land owned in the mills complex for public access to the station - but luckily CB are very open and actively offering public/private land to better this design. It's actually a really great looking site plan with the partnership, but CATS seems to be nixing the elevator anyway.

You have to trust that PDF, it is the station design as of 8 months ago. The core assumptions will not change, such as dropping 36th and leaving the tracks at current grade versus dropping or raising the tracks over 36th. And once you have that, it follows naturally that for an ADA 'ramp', you just keep a path at current ground level to get to the station.

I bet there may be some adjustments if the mill developer wants to improve access for their redevelopment. But you can't really beat the access they'd have with this design. The driveway on the lower right of that PDF is a driveway to the parcel that the mills are on. So pretty much they will have an easy sidewalk connection to the station with no change in grade. So it isn't possible that they would have somehow spurred a major design change.

You have to trust that PDF, it is the station design as of 8 months ago. The core assumptions will not change, such as dropping 36th and leaving the tracks at current grade versus dropping or raising the tracks over 36th. And once you have that, it follows naturally that for an ADA 'ramp', you just keep a path at current ground level to get to the station.

I bet there may be some adjustments if the mill developer wants to improve access for their redevelopment. But you can't really beat the access they'd have with this design. The driveway on the lower right of that PDF is a driveway to the parcel that the mills are on. So pretty much they will have an easy sidewalk connection to the station with no change in grade. So it isn't possible that they would have somehow spurred a major design change.

I suppose I can't say for sure what they will arrive at - but the renderings I've seen still have the lowered roadway and bridging of the tracks (of course), but the Mills property has been graded significantly at 36th to almost remove the 14' retaining wall and separation of two sidewalks - and show a public access plaza on the Mills property (of sorts). I can't say this will happen like they propose, but I've seen and heard proof that it could happen with the right cooperation.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any figures on what current paid fare - blue line ridership - numbers are? As opposed to the current "honor system" numbers that help inflate the numbers.

The reason I ask:

I rode the line later than usual, Saturday night around 9:30pm. I'd bet there were close to 100 people on the outbound train. And judging by the amount that ran off the train as it was apparent police were going to be boarding; I'd say anywhere between 33-66% didn't pay a dime. And that may be underestimating it.

I always pay, but it frustrates me beyond belief to see things like this. Especially when you are realistic to the fact that even if these people DO get a fine, they probably won't pay it.

Edited by ah59396

^ I suspect true paid ridership is unmeasurable given things like passes (both day and month), variable fares (for young and old), round trip tix (some of which go unused) and bus transfers (the biggest unmeasurable). The current honor / monitoring system is not be able to tally them.

When they have done ticket blitzes in the past, paid tickets have accounted for north of 95% of passengers. It's not unusual to see small groups of fare dodgers, but no more than any other system. And at least here we don't have to deal with the hassle and maintenance (not to mention the physical obstruction) of turn styles and fences.

^ That's a good point. Honestly it is a concern to me though. Obviously the honor system saves money in not having to employ people or build the security necessary for a system similar to a subway. But is there a percentage breaking point where it just begins to make no sense? What percent of the total occupancy of the train needs to be honest in order for the system to function as designed?

I'll be frank, I was under the impression that a couple people here and there took it for free, but not half of the people on board.

If no one has these answers, its OK. This post is 50% curiosity and 50% ranting.

When they have done ticket blitzes in the past, paid tickets have accounted for north of 95% of passengers. It's not unusual to see small groups of fare dodgers, but no more than any other system. And at least here we don't have to deal with the hassle and maintenance (not to mention the physical obstruction) of turn styles and fences.

Maybe I was just on a bad train then? Like I said, I usually ride in the day and see no one dodge when the cops hop on. But at least on Saturday night, that thing emptied quicker than I could blink.

I was about to say this. The last time I rode it was a packed train, and there were exactly 2 fare dodgers who were taken off at New Bern. Granted that was rush hour on a Thursday I think.

Edited by nonillogical

Well, keep in mind that even dodgers are riding the line and providing a social benefit (not using automobiles with imported and toxic gasoline), and also if they keep doing it, they will eventually pay a fine which will help add to the revenues. The marginal cost of one other passenger as long as it isn't rush hour ( displacing a paying customer) is quite low. It's too bad that at the moments they do do (hehe) a fare sweep that they can't have one officer at each exit checking tickets of people getting off as they get on. That would make the sweeps more effective.

I'm sure you observed correctly, but still, it is possible that many of the people you saw exit needed to exit anyway. I had my ticket checked on a weekend trip during the day recently and the train stayed very full and did not see some big exodus or anything like it.

There is a high cost to ensuring 100% of riders are valid. And there is a low cost to tolerating a 5-10% mooch factor as long as it stays a fringe group.

^ While that is optimistic, I have a hard time believing someone who doesn't pay to ride the train really cares about paying the fine they receive.

Also, in this particular case it was REALLY obvious that plenty of people didn't pay. Beyond the guy at the back of the train with me who told me he "was scared" when the police came on because "he doesn't pay to ride the train". There were at least 20 other people near the front of the train that started flooding into the back cabin laughing and clamoring to exit at the rear, as the police progressed through the cars. They ended up snagging 3 girls near the front and after they exited, a couple other people started laughing about how they got away with it. It was lame.

State FFGA signed for Blue Line

"The Charlotte Area Transit System ... UNC Charlotte ...and state and local leaders will “Stake their Claim” at a State Full Funding Grant Agreement ceremony for the LYNX Blue Line Light Rail Extension Project, on Thursday, April 19 at 1 p.m.

Join ... Mayor Anthony Foxx, UNC Charlotte Chancellor Dr. Philip L. Dubois, ..... North Carolina Department of Transportation Deputy Secretary for Transit Paul Morris, CATS CEO Carolyn Flowers, Charlotte Chamber of Commerce President Bob Morgan and Mecklenburg County Commission .... Chairmen Harold Cogdell. The ... event will take place on the campus of UNC Charlotte at its Bioinformatics Building, located at 9320 Robert D. Snyder Road.

The State Full Funding Grant Agreement will provide 25 percent of the funding for the LYNX Blue Line Extension (BLE) from Center City Charlotte to the UNC Charlotte campus .....The support also prepares the system to receive a full funding grant agreement of 50 percent of the project costs from the Federal Transit Administration later this year."

• Like 1