Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

the original plans for the Southline included a cantelevered pedestrian bridge for the light rail trail, unfortunately it was cut as a sacrifice to the budget overruns.

I am a frequent user (and fan) of the trail from Clanton to Carson and would love to see it extended into uptown. However, even if the 277 crossing were rectified there is still the problem of the trail around the convention center -- it is impossible to fit a pedestrian route through it.

Yeah, this 'problem' of the light rail path not crossing 277 has spawned BOTH the new wide sidewalks and bike lanes on the Tryon St bridge and inspired the wide sidewalk and bike lanes on South Blvd/Caldwell bridge.    This problem is really solved already.  I have crossed 277 as a pedestrian and biker innumerable times, and the better sidewalks on South and Tryon each have been great improvements.   I don't have any issues with moving a block or two to the east or west depending on my ultimate destination because I would have to do it anyway to maneuver around the Convention Center.   Even when there used to be a path to cross when the trolley operated, it was always a slight pain to use the staircase at the Westin to get to it.   Let's all just let go of this imagined problem of not being able to walk on the same bridge as the light rail simply to delay by a couple blocks the point when you definitely will have to choose to go east or west to go around the convention center.    

This city has vastly worse urban issues to solve than this one.

^ I agree that the absence of a bridge on the LRT path is not a major issue. However, it would be nice to have for two reasons. First, three to five extra blocks can be significant when walking, the detour to Tryon or South is the thing that stops me from walking walking downtown when I am on the LRT path. I do agree that the detour is a non-issue on a bike. Second, walking or biking along the trail is soooooo much more pleasant and relaxing than any curbside sidewalk. If generating pedestrian activity is a worthy goal this seems like a relatively inexpensive way to get more. Access to trails like the LRT path certainly increases the amount of walking and biking I do.

In a perfect world there would be a path along the LRT from Woodlawn to Old Concord (traversing the elevated sections over the CSX and 36th might be tricky). This fantasy rail path would include connections to little Sugar Creek greenway at Belmont ave, Cordelia park, Stonewall, East blvd and one more down Marsh.

Edited by kermit

But there is always going to be the same gap forever by virtue of not being able to pass through the convention center.   I am far more annoyed by the gaps between 3rd and Stonewall or between South and McDowell than the gap of 1 block in each direction between College and South.  

They need to be reviewing potential for air-rights sales simply by the fact that it is prime real estate and the freeway is sunken, not because there is some pedestrian issue with crossing 277, when they already substantially improved the problem as it was when the Blue line was built.  At the time I used to cross in the "shoulder" of South Blvd and run as fast as possible across the ends of the off ramps where people would come out quickly.   Now there is pedestrian infrastructure all throughout along Tryon and along South.  It's great compared to the old problems.   As long as they continue with this theme, with better sidewalks and bike lanes on 7th, Mint or other crossings, things are decently fine for pedestrians now to get from uptown to the light rail trail. 

I agree with dubone that the city has far greater issues and of greater concern as far as connectivity than this.

I've walked many times between Downtown and South End and don't feel the slightest bit inconvenienced  by using the existing bridges. The fact that there are two existing pedestrian friendly bridges, Sidewalks the whole way on South Boulevard to South Caldwell,  AND light rail between South End and Downtown just seems to make the discussion moot.

For comparison, I invite all to consider the pedestrian connectivity nightmare that is going to happen on the North side from 11th Street on once the BLE is constructed.  I would rather see money and resources and planning going there.

Edited by Urbanity

I agree that this is a pretty small issue right now, but I think a cheaper way to address it would be to widen the Morehead sidewalk from Tryon to Camden Grandview with pavers like the Tryon bridge, and make that entrance to the lightrail path a little more obvious and inviting. The College St. bridge should get a pedestrian upgrade too, preferably with a barrier like South since it could only be done to one side anyway and some people come off that ramp pretty fast. 

Of course this would all become moot if we get a 277 cap, but I don't think these steps would be unreasonable since that is a ways off. 

I hope the parking lot between Tryon, College, Morehead, and 277 gets developed soon. I recall it being for sale (not sure if it still is), but that would go a long way to making the area more walkable. It seems clear that Uptown Cabaret is happy with its lots and does not plan to develop them in the near future. There does not appear to be any significant movement of the area across from Camden South End and Mosaic, even though that area seems primed for development.. I don't think a park or a series of buildings would make the area between Stonewall and say Tavern on the Tracks feel as connected as fewer surface lots would.

It's not terribly obvious, but a wider-than-average sidewalk/trail was constructed from Carson Station to South Blvd and along South Blvd. Sadly, once you get across 277 it gets dangerous because the pedestrian crossings are not well protected from turning traffic and/or crazy drivers. Hopefully when the lot at South and Caldwell (adjacent to "Club Ice") is developed, that situation will improve.

• 2 weeks later...

Half-assedly having done some prior research, for which I apologize, what are the numbers for street car versus the blueline?  Intuitively I tend to agree with his support of LR over this but I am uninformed.  I see streetcar as more like bus ridership numbers over an extension of our LR line which is more on the lines of "progress".

From the above article: " McCrory championed light rail, which was one of his signature accomplishments. But he vehemently disagrees with using city property tax dollars to build a streetcar."

I understand the physical difference between a streetcar and light rail, but can someone please explain what's the logical difference that makes him have such different stances?  Thanks.

I can kinda see where he is coming from.  I don't like the way he has gone about it, but I tend to agree with his stance in some respect.  For one thing, he is the Governor of the State, not the Mayor of Charlotte anymore.  As much as we'd like to believe he has our best interests in mind, the fact is he has a whole slew of new people whispering in his ear.  Also, when McCrory did support Charlotte transit (including the Streetcar) the city/state/country was in a much better financial situation.  He has to play to a lot of different crowds now.  I'm not all aboard with him, but I do get it.

I can kinda see where he is coming from. I don't like the way he has gone about it, but I tend to agree with his stance in some respect. For one thing, he is the Governor of the State, not the Mayor of Charlotte anymore. As much as we'd like to believe he has our best interests in mind, the fact is he has a whole slew of new people whispering in his ear. Also, when McCrory did support Charlotte transit (including the Streetcar) the city/state/country was in a much better financial situation. He has to play to a lot of different crowds now. I'm not all aboard with him, but I do get it.

He may have a lot of different crowds... But it's not like the streetcar is going to receive state money. On top of that, He didn't have to worry what different crowds think considering no one but himself made it a state issue.. Seems like McCrory is flexing his muscle. I'd be pretty wary of that considering the urban voter really helped him out.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

From the above article: " McCrory championed light rail, which was one of his signature accomplishments. But he vehemently disagrees with using city property tax dollars to build a streetcar."

I understand the physical difference between a streetcar and light rail, but can someone please explain what's the logical difference that makes him have such different stances?  Thanks.

I believe his anti-streetcar stance is partially a product of it being paid for outside the .5 cent transit sales tax. Art Pope (and his opinion machine) is vehemently opposed to TIF financing (and I suspect local improvement districts also) for urban projects, I suspect that they see the streetcar as possibly the tip of a TIF iceberg.

• Like 1