Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

^ I would really doubt that  specifically for the areas you mentioned (NoDa and Optimist Park in general) as though areas I suspect are going to be pulling in more than enough non-students who can afford the rents and want to live along the rail line.

I guess in theory somewhere between Newell South and Rocky River Point might be an area to consider, but that said - I think the complexes (existing or to be built) don't need any incentive to get people to move into them when the BLE starts running as the BLE is the incentive itself.

To the lack of a reliable shuttle to campus from the Research Campus, up until a few months ago, I literally lived across the street from the main entrance to CRI and it was actually pretty convenient.  One of my roommates would walk up to the shuttle stop at the Research Campus and be right at his building within twenty minutes 95% of the time, all for free. The only days where this convenience dropped to 0% was when it rained or if he just missed the shuttle.  But walking on campus, you're going to get soaked either way.  As for the stop by the dorms, it isn't absurd for students to walk ten to fifteen minutes to class every day from many of the parking decks, I highly doubt this would deter anyone from taking LRT to campus from one of the decks.  I could even see the campus shuttle (which, for those of you who don't know, is either the Gold Rush trolleys or a city bus) running up to the light rail stop instead of terminating at the center of CRI.

Also, I would not be the least bit surprised if they do have campus police on site at the terminus almost 24/7 just for safety's sake.  I could see CATS working out a deal with the campus to have them routinely check tickets upon exit. Maybe even parking services could get involved, they seem pretty damn happy to hand out tickets left and right, what's one more easy revenue source?  Maybe CATS could split revenue from the citations with parking services in order to get free labor.

When the south corridor of the Blue line was finished, CATS reoriented their bus lines to distribute riders farther into the neighborhoods.  I think we will see the same in the northeast corridor with lines reoriented to connect URP to the Blue Line.   With the new bridge crossings from Research Dr to JW Clay Blvd and Shopping Center Dr to IBM there is a pretty good option for a shuttle loop past many major employers, but even on existing thoroughfares, it seems that there ought to be a short-trip shuttle loop between the Lynx and URP employment centers. 

The CTSP has recommendations for initial bus routing with the BLE. The 54x University Research Park line (URP Express) basically turns into a shuttle connecting to the UC Blvd Station. 

(Starts page 25 of the PDF)

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/ctsp/Documents/Countywide%20Transit%20Serivices%20Plan%20FY2012%20-%20FY2017.pdf

That makes sense, and that is already has decent collectors at current employer, but using the rail rather than the freeway to connect downtown.   The one hard part with transfers like that is to get the buses coordinated with the train to minimize waits.   I have found that when the Blue Line opened that I mentally assumed to get to SouthPark, I would transfer from the Blue line to a bus, but ended up waiting 45min or some ungodly length and realized quickly that from then on to just take the Park Rd or Sharon Rd buses directly.  Hopefully this will not be a coordination nightmare like that, as I personally would be affected because I do need to go to URP on occasion for work. 

In fact, in looking at these new routes (finally loaded), I see now that the 22 bus from Graham to Mallard creek is removed, so that means the only option to URP will be exclusively the transfer from BLE to 54.  I'm quite certain this will actually be a longer commute time, unfortunately.  I am an occasional rider, so I understand they can't base things on me, but it is a concern and I don't want what happened with me to SouthPark to be true when I am trying to get to a meeting. 

I must have missed them, as this is the first I have seen of them.  I'm surprised at how short this deck is, but maybe I'm just missing something.

I believe the JW Clay deck is roughly half the size of the current 485/Pineville deck.

An observation: the ticket checking officers seem to be on the trains A LOT more recently. Maybe it's just happen stance, but I feel like I get checked almost every other time now. Not a complaint either, I'm happy they are doing it. Anyone else noticing this? Or am I incorrect?

• 3 weeks later...

^ generally not.  There are a few special cases where they are access controlled for an underground part of their route but not access controlled for the stations which are at grade (Boston and Los Angeles for example).

Its really difficult to limit access to stations which are at street level since you can't fence off the tracks. 

I can report that every tree on North Tryon between University City Blvd and Barton Creek Drive (around where the BLE will turn on to campus) that is was planted along the sidewalk has been bulldozed and cut down (no attempt to save a single one from what I can tell by the stumps).

I assume this is part of needed electrical infrastructure needs that's going to have to go on either side of N.Tryon for the Light Rail.  

I had forgotten about Pittsburgh. Many (but not all) of their stations are staffed becuase they have their bizzare 'pay when exiting outbound, pay when entering inbound' policy. It works pretty well, but I can't imagine staffing stations is cheap.

Speaking of fares, Portland has just started a program which allows you to buy a transit ticket on your smartphone. It makes sense and appears to reduce costs. We need it here.

http://www.geekwire.com/2013/portland-set-riders-buy-transit-tickets-smartphone/

I wish Carolyn Flowers lurked here....

• Like 2

Do any light rails across the country have ticket gates? Is that a viable thing for light rail?

That depends.  But generally it is more profitable (ie even counting lost income from fare skippers more money is saved) by using a ticket inspection officer and random ticket inspections.  Volume though plays an important part in that equation.

OK, so $6.4 billion for the eastern span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, I'm sure there are many justifications, need assessments, toll funding, local/state funding, population served, usage numbers, etc, etc, blah blah blah, but still, that pisses me off, six-point-four-billion for half of an effing bridge.  And our LRT lines are also "toll" funded.   :angry: 

Edit - and isn't CA supposed to fall into the ocean in 50-100 years?  Great use of money.  six-point-four-billion dollars.

/endrant

Edited by nowensone

OK, so $6.4 billion for the eastern span of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, I'm sure there are many justifications, need assessments, toll funding, local/state funding, population served, usage numbers, etc, etc, blah blah blah, but still, that pisses me off, six-point-four-billion for half of an effing bridge. And our LRT lines are also "toll" funded. :angry:

Edit - and isn't CA supposed to fall into the ocean in 50-100 years? Great use of money. six-point-four-billion dollars.

/endrant

75% toll 20% state 5% Feds. I'm in Napa for the past 4 days. It's alllll over the news. Looks gorgeous though. If we could get 20% of 6.4 billion from the state we could 100% build out the red line and the street car... Sigh... Edited by Guest

That's the kicker, even a paltry billion of that... I'm guessing the CSAs of San Fran and Oakland probably total about that of all of NC, but not recalling any 6.4 billion project of ours, and is the other half estimated even higher?  Anyway, sure there are stats/facts out there to make me retract this, but wow.