Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

Oh, and question: There was a ticket-checker guy on my train, and I overheard him talking with a bunch of people. After hearing something about laptops, I swear he said something like "We're supposed to be getting wireless soon". Anyone know anything about such a possibility? Maybe that's commonly known and I'm just not aware. Sorry if so.

Note: Discussion on Wireless Technology moved here. If CATS announces that it is offering WiFi or other wireless tech, then please discuss it here.

I was just on the elevator and an older business type was speaking to colleagues about his first week riding the LR from 485. He kept going on and on about how amazing it's been and how that it's changing his life b/c although the trip is more/less the same amount of time, he feels so relaxed and connected to the city when he makes it home.

He was trying to convince his co-workers to ride. I'm hopeful the rest of Charlotte's Suburbs get the opportunity to try this new old way of life.

I was on the Light Rail this past Friday and witnessed a rather horrible incident. 4 teens between 12-20 that were acting like thugs were in the back of the train using every curse word in a very derogatory manner. A woman with her son that looked to be about 8 asked them to stop, and the situation escalated from there. They were speaking in 80% cursing and threatening to beat her, and finally people came up and pulled the 2 women apart... her son was crying and ran to the front of the train. The girl who started the incident started after the woman that was now being pulled by her arm down the train by another thug that was amazingly on the side of the antagonizers. At this point I pressed the emergency button and stood up and told the one girl to stop, that there were children on the train. Her response was "Oh, I will break you a peice of this off for you too, you (@*& @#&*^*&( *@#&*$(&@ (#@&*()@!!!". The train finally stopped at the Archdale station and the doors were delayed from opening. A voice came over the emergency asking what the problem was, and I informed him that there was a disturbance in the back of the vehicle. I then exited as it was my stop, and heard over the trains P.A. system "Ladies and Gentlemen, the emergency button is for actual emergencies. Please do not press the button unless an emergency occurs."

I was so taken back that I called 311 and filed a complaint. There is absolutely no excuse for this. I have ridden the train now over 12 times and I have not once seen one of the police officers assigned to the light rail on the vehicle. When this line was under construction I was one of the most excited that it was opening, even relocating for the sole reason of having access to it. I now question whether Cats can operate this line properly, while ensuring public safety. If someone feels threatened, there is no excuse someone to judge the situation from the front of a train without knowing the situation. These people could have had knives or guns (and from the looks of them, they probably did).

My question for anyone that may be connected with CATS is this: What is considered an emergency, and what will it take for security to be provided properly?

I was on the Light Rail this past Friday and witnessed a rather horrible incident. 4 teens between 12-20 that were acting like thugs were in the back of the train using every curse word in a very derogatory manner. A woman with her son that looked to be about 8 asked them to stop, and the situation escalated from there. They were speaking in 80% cursing and threatening to beat her, and finally people came up and pulled the 2 women apart... her son was crying and ran to the front of the train. The girl who started the incident started after the woman that was now being pulled by her arm down the train by another thug that was amazingly on the side of the antagonizers. At this point I pressed the emergency button and stood up and told the one girl to stop, that there were children on the train. Her response was "Oh, I will break you a peice of this off for you too, you (@*& @#&*^*&( *@#&*$(&@ (#@&*()@!!!". The train finally stopped at the Archdale station and the doors were delayed from opening. A voice came over the emergency asking what the problem was, and I informed him that there was a disturbance in the back of the vehicle. I then exited as it was my stop, and heard over the trains P.A. system "Ladies and Gentlemen, the emergency button is for actual emergencies. Please do not press the button unless an emergency occurs."

I was so taken back that I called 311 and filed a complaint. There is absolutely no excuse for this. I have ridden the train now over 12 times and I have not once seen one of the police officers assigned to the light rail on the vehicle. When this line was under construction I was one of the most excited that it was opening, even relocating for the sole reason of having access to it. I now question whether Cats can operate this line properly, while ensuring public safety. If someone feels threatened, there is no excuse someone to judge the situation from the front of a train without knowing the situation. These people could have had knives or guns (and from the looks of them, they probably did).

My question for anyone that may be connected with CATS is this: What is considered an emergency, and what will it take for security to be provided properly?

Seabreeze, as a New Yorker I can understand your scenario, but I have to tell you that what you witnessed its urban life. I've seen this same scene repeated in New York, Washington, Chicago and San Francisco. Part of mass transit is that you keep your mouth shut and get to the destination. I understand the mother's dislike of the foul language, but in a public environement like that she has illustrated the inability to "tune it out." Regarding the conductor's comments regarding the pulling of the emergency break, that wasn't an emergency. If someone pulled that cord everytime someone got into a shouting/shoving match on a subway train here no one would ever go anywhere. As a student of mass transit, I will be sure to include this occurrance as a potential problem to new transit systems as riders get used to true public transportation.

This is the core problem with anything that deals with the general public. Many people are evil and dangerous and other people and incompetent and stupid. If you put incompetent people in charge of places where evil people go, you have a high likelihood of danger. Case in point: CMS. CATS needs to work hard to stay competent.

I have actually seen many security personnel at both stations and on the trains. It is unfortunate there was not one on the train at the time, though.

I think that, if I had been there, I would have tried using the "Passenger Assistance" call button or loudly called 911 (ie: let them know that you are calling 911). Of course I was not there, though, so I can't say for sure that is what I would have done.

Besides the obvious, the problem that stems from this is the mother described in Seabreezes story is just as likely to tell everyone she can who horrible Lynx is and her experience will discourage a lot more riders than the positive experience related by the guy in Andyc545's story.

It doesn't take much to poison public perception (see MARTA). In Boston, you see this same behavior as well, but the people living here are numb to it at this point. With a brand new system, you can't risk letting the public develop these notions, especially since driving is a such alternative to many.

I have had similar experience from ridding Chicago's EL system. Usually people just ignore what's going on unless actuall physical contact is being made. ie, fighting, pushing, or harrassment that leads to violence. IMO southern culture and people will be more likely to confront situations like this that will lead to situations like above than northern culture and people who just don't let it bother them.

Besides the obvious, the problem that stems from this is the mother described in Seabreezes story is just as likely to tell everyone she can who horrible Lynx is and her experience will discourage a lot more riders than the positive experience related by the guy in Andyc545's story.

It doesn't take much to poison public perception (see MARTA). In Boston, you see this same behavior as well, but the people living here are numb to it at this point. With a brand new system, you can't risk letting the public develop these notions, especially since driving is a such alternative to many.

Excellent point. My roommates mother was riding for the first time, and luckily she still thinks the light rail is pretty 'cool'. However, I doubt the other woman that was in the heat of it all will.... Not to mention countless others that can drive alternatively.

While replying to this, I actually received a call from CATS apologizing for the incident. I just expressed that I understood that much couldn't be done about the situation at the time, however, I recommended that since they are exceeding their expected ridership goals, possibly heightening security just for a little while in the beginning so that people atleast know they are being protected... I guess that was a pretty good show of faith to receive a call and know my concerns are being addressed (maybe they read this site ;).

As for seeing security on the actual trains, again I have rode many times and have not seen them. Possibly they are working earlier in the day or on a set schedule. Who knows.... I guess I will have to adjust to this kind of ignorance (although I have ridden the bus MANY times and never witnessed anything this intense.)

Edited by Seabreeze

Please keep the discussion on CATS Lynx Trains. Discussions of this incident are OK, but it's not OK, in this topic to start pondering on the reasons for violence in our culture, Southern Culture, or why you push buttons on other transit systems. Your cooperation will be appreciated. (I am not referring to the above, the offending posts have been deleted.)

Has there been any update on the current daily ridership on the CATS Lynx Blue Line recently?

I will be interesting how many people are using it now as for their actual transit. I'm susre a lot of people are still riding the system for the first time just to see what it's like to ride the train.

I think these are great videos showing how the rails look inside and how the stations are announced.

Edited by Atlside

Small update from today:

East/West Blvd. a lot of working being done this afternoon. Check out the artwork that filled in the gaps of the concrete wall. It's a mixture of different mosaic, and broken cups and plates, sort of like "trash art" but turned out extremely well.

12-13-07007.jpg

12-13-07001.jpg

12-13-07002.jpg

12-13-07006.jpg

More here. Also the glass was inserted for a few more of the northern stations of S. End, including the E/W Blvd Station. Trains were very full today, again. In fact, when I left at 7:30, it took forever for a train to come, but found out later that parts of the track were down to one side only for repairs, looks like someone broke another one of the gates and/or they were fixing some of the crossing arms or upgrading them someway. That delayed all the trains this evening twice as long, unfortunatly, and therefor the trains running twice as occupied, which when we left the 3rd St. Station it was packed arm to arm, and really could have benefited from a second train.

Well....I may be a little late in the game with this, but here's my take on the new LYNX line. I ride it everyday to work to save on gas & do my part in saving the environment. Overall, I think its a smooth ride from downtown to Arrowood (where I get off) Station. However, I have a few gripes: they seriously need to build a long line of bus shelters outside of each station where buses feed in-&-out. You can't possibly expect people to just stand outside & face the elements while waiting on the bus from the train. I catch the 56 bus from Arrowood & there are only 2 small shelters for maybe 4 different bus 'bays.' I just find it to be extremely tacky & quite inconsiderate of what people have to face outside. Also, I think the platforms are too small to handle the amount of people that actually pace around the stations while waiting on a train. Granted, this is light rail & its not suppose to be as 'full-fledged' as heavy rail....but I just think its unsafe to have such small platforms with relatively large crowds in the area while trains are approaching/departing. In my opinion, I don't think this line was built to fully accomodate much larger crowds that are to be expected in the near future.

Well....I may be a little late in the game with this, but here's my take on the new LYNX line. I ride it everyday to work to save on gas & do my part in saving the environment. Overall, I think its a smooth ride from downtown to Arrowood (where I get off) Station. However, I have a few gripes: they seriously need to build a long line of bus shelters outside of each station where buses feed in-&-out. You can't possibly expect people to just stand outside & face the elements while waiting on the bus from the train. I catch the 56 bus from Arrowood & there are only 2 small shelters for maybe 4 different bus 'bays.' I just find it to be extremely tacky & quite inconsiderate of what people have to face outside. Also, I think the platforms are too small to handle the amount of people that actually pace around the stations while waiting on a train. Granted, this is light rail & its not suppose to be as 'full-fledged' as heavy rail....but I just think its unsafe to have such small platforms with relatively large crowds in the area while trains are approaching/departing. In my opinion, I don't think this line was built to fully accomodate much larger crowds that are to be expected in the near future.

I'm not really trying to disagree with anything you said. I just wanted to comment that I really think they had no idea this line would be so successful so quickly. I know the canopy lengths on the platforms themselves will eventually be expanded. Looks like in hindsight those cuts shouldn't have been made!

The fact is, they didn't and couldn't know, as they did their vest with computer models and estimates but reality can shift up or down from thousands of individuals making choices.

Given their ridership projections and budget, they designed it as well as they could. There is still newness to wear off, but I believe that if they sustain higher ridership in the next couple years, not only will they be able to use better estimates for the NE extension, but they'll likely be able to justify a minor project in a decade to expand capacity, through more trains and larger platforms and so on.

Those will take money, but if ridership is there, the money can be justified unlike when they are trying to oredict it with computers.

It was proposed earlier that many people would be waiting for parking commitments uptown to expire. Well, I just had lunch with some friends in uptown yesterday - 2 of them are in this exact boat. They had actually planned to start in December, but didn't know there is apparently 30 days notice required. So come the first week of January, there will be at least 2 more regular riders. And I am certain that this isn't isolated.

I don't think CAT's or anyone for that matter is to blame and I think saying that the platforms are over capacity is a bit premature at this moment. Number 1- there are things they can do to solve this right now 1) run more trains at the commuter hours (every 7 1/2 minutes), 2) work out special event trains better, which CATs said they were working on, 3) Run more double trains, which I've seen that even during commute times right now some of the trains are running single. Those platforms are designed well for todays ridership, and they may not be for the future, but that is good news because it means we are going over ridership, which equals more income, which equals money to make the necessary adjustments to expand the stations. CATs was already way over budget, and it was a logical cut to not extend them to 3 train lengths, especially not knowing how ridership would be. It's possible that it could have received a bad reputation for overspending on huge platforms if ridership was going to be minimal and run single trains anyway. Right now, CAT's bigger problems are fixing the TVM's, or replacing them, fixing their GPS system, which I wish they would have ran on just a sensor system instead, and lastly running trains at correct times with correct available capacities (ie. running more frequent trains or a few double trains during lunch hours, that have surprised everyone on how high the ridership is during these times).

I do believe there is still some "newness" to wear off, but at the same time, I feel people are making the train part of their lives and seeing what uses they can get out of it (ie. First week I rode for pictures, but this week me and my friend have been riding to go ice skating and go out to lunch, etc). Like said, people that work uptown are still looking into riding the train, which will help increase numbers, and also there is going to be insane amounts of people from all of the residential being built up and down the line that people are paying a premium on their home to use the train and have it convenient to them. I honestly think once newness wears, that ridership will not slump very much, and in a year or two will begin increasing by a few thousand, even over what we are currently seeing.