Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

Where do they put these while the line is under construction?

They will arrive very slowly and they recently expanded the yard space at the Clanton facility to accommodate them. They will also run more two unit trains during the day, and (I hope)they will increase frequency before the BLE opens so the new units can be put to work quickly. (I believe that the BLE plans were for 7 or 10 minute headways all day)

The other benefit to their early arrival is that each vehicle as a very lengthy burn-in period before it can be placed in revenue service (per FTA regulation). Since they can get nearly all of this out of the way before the BLE opens they can start revenue service on the BLE more quickly. 

• Like 2

In other BLE news it appears that CATS is considering applying for a TIFIA loan from the USDOT. The article does not have much detail, but I suspect this could (potentially) free up some transit tax revenue for other purposes.

http://mecktimes.com/news/2014/10/27/charlotte-to-seek-blue-line-loan/

There is no implication that the loan application represents a problem with the BLE or the transit tax. I believe that this loan is being investigated as a lower cost way to finance a significant portion of BLE construction.

Edited by kermit

re: BLE. I've heard from someone in the area that the track crossing at E.Craighead road will be closed? Is this confirmed?

yes, it has been in the construction diagrams for a while and discussed at neighborhood meetings. I believe the perminant closure will happen shortly after the 36th underpass is completed. The city plans to extend Philemon to 36th to improve connectivity on the Tryon side of the tracks.

Edited by kermit

Traffic patterns are all out of whack because 36th and Eastway are closed. That means Sugar Creek is a disaster and that leaves Craighead as the only decent option without driving all the way to Matheson. As a rule, Craighead really didn't carry much traffic prior to the closures and construction.

In other BLE news it appears that CATS is considering applying for a TIFIA loan from the USDOT. The article does not have much detail, but I suspect this could (potentially) free up some transit tax revenue for other purposes.

http://mecktimes.com/news/2014/10/27/charlotte-to-seek-blue-line-loan/

There is no implication that the loan application represents a problem with the BLE or the transit tax. I believe that this loan is being investigated as a lower cost way to finance a significant portion of BLE construction.

A shame this couldn't be used to finish the original BLE stop at 485 (not saying that couldn't happen, but I'd guess that's not likely). 

Edited by wend28

I read more about that loan in the City Manager Memo here: http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/citymanager/CommunicationstoCouncil/Documents/Memo%2075%20October%2022,%202014.pdf

It is not a loan for additional scope, it is a loan in lieu of short term bonds to lower the borrowing costs for managing cashflow differences between grant payments and construction bills.  

It was more on the some minor streetscape changes (bike lanes and sidewalks) for a number of station areas.   The BLE is green and on schedule.  

It turned out to be very much a meeting letting the random neighborhood people to spout "oh lawd, child, there will turrible traffic, when y'all shut dawn Sugaw Creek Road" complaints for temporary construction detours.  

Then on some of the items I had hoped for more detail about, like the cross-charlotte trail, there is actually no answers until the bonds hopefully pass next Tuesday and we have design services complete for routing.

A few points that were interesting to me:

- 25th St over LSCG will be reconnected as a full street, not just a ped-bridge as previously planned

- Parkwood will remain 2-lanes per direction but be widened for bike lanes and better sidewalks, rather than a road diet as implied on the city website (which actually show Brevard).  

- I had forgotten about the change to Sugar Creek Road crossing where the road will be taken over the railroad.  

I'm not sure what it's like at some of the other stations, but I'm on my last straw with my Archdale stop. The ticket machines are CONSTANTLY Either completely out of service, or won't take cards. A bunch of people (tons I might add since its a panthers game) all just missed the train because only one station was working correctly and the line was so damn long.

For a seven year old system, our vending machines are a joke.

^ CATS announced when the line opened (back in 2007) that broken machines on the platform were a valid reason to travel without a ticket. They did say that fare checkers would verify via radio that the machine was out.

Take this seven year old info with the necessary grains of salt.

It was more on the some minor streetscape changes (bike lanes and sidewalks) for a number of station areas.   The BLE is green and on schedule.  

It turned out to be very much a meeting letting the random neighborhood people to spout "oh lawd, child, there will turrible traffic, when y'all shut dawn Sugaw Creek Road" complaints for temporary construction detours.  

Then on some of the items I had hoped for more detail about, like the cross-charlotte trail, there is actually no answers until the bonds hopefully pass next Tuesday and we have design services complete for routing.

A few points that were interesting to me:

- 25th St over LSCG will be reconnected as a full street, not just a ped-bridge as previously planned

- Parkwood will remain 2-lanes per direction but be widened for bike lanes and better sidewalks, rather than a road diet as implied on the city website (which actually show Brevard).  

- I had forgotten about the change to Sugar Creek Road crossing where the road will be taken over the railroad.  

You know, I've come on this site for years (it's a part of my daily routine) because I have genuinely loved construction and development since I was a child and I enjoy hearing about all the amazing new things going on in my hometown, but every now and then some of you guys are very judgmental about certain people that live in certain parts of town. Your comment was very ignorant. I'm sorry that "the random neighborhood people" don't speak in a manner that suits you, but they have a right to voice their opinions just like anyone else in the city when it comes to matters that effect where they live no  matter how you think they may sound. For a couple years of my life, I was one of those "random neighborhood people" but I guess you thought those types of people don't come to sites like this. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure what it's like at some of the other stations, but I'm on my last straw with my Archdale stop. The ticket machines are CONSTANTLY Either completely out of service, or won't take cards. A bunch of people (tons I might add since its a panthers game) all just missed the train because only one station was working correctly and the line was so damn long.

For a seven year old system, our vending machines are a joke.

Just for the record, it's the same situation at Bland St Station, including last night when one was broke and the other wouldn't accept cards. I'll usually take a picture of the screen or record a short video on my phone showing the problem in case of ticket checks, but I have never been checked on those occasions.

Just for the record, it's the same situation at Bland St Station, including last night when one was broke and the other wouldn't accept cards. I'll usually take a picture of the screen or record a short video on my phone showing the problem in case of ticket checks, but I have never been checked on those occasions.

I can't imagine how much money CATS lost last night then.  Not that I'm surprised, the rare times the machines are on, they won't take your card anyways.

You know, I've come on this site for years (it's a part of my daily routine) because I have genuinely loved construction and development since I was a child and I enjoy hearing about all the amazing new things going on in my hometown, but every now and then some of you guys are very judgmental about certain people that live in certain parts of town. Your comment was very ignorant. I'm sorry that "the random neighborhood people" don't speak in a manner that suits you, but they have a right to voice their opinions just like anyone else in the city when it comes to matters that effect where they live no  matter how you think they may sound. For a couple years of my life, I was one of those "random neighborhood people" but I guess you thought those types of people don't come to sites like this. 

Writing a quote as an accent was just a manner of story-telling to give the gist of the meeting in one line and the characters that spoke up.  It was not intended to be hurtful to anyone.  In the meeting, it was people of all classes and neighborhood types and accents complaining about mundane things like construction traffic.   It is fine in the big picture as it is allows them to voice their frustration to people who might have some ideas to improve their issues.  But as far as being interesting topics for urban development geeks, not so much.     

But if it came across the internet as rude, I apologize. 

• 2 weeks later...

moderately interesting budget-related update on BLE construction status from Steve Harrison at the Observer:

CATS said it plans to ask for additional enhancements, such as expanding the North Yard maintenance facility and a pedestrian bridge at the Sugar Creek Station.

The light-rail extension will use three-car trains. The existing Lynx Blue Line was built only for two-car trains. In early 2015, CATS will begin expanding some stations on the light-rail line to allow for three-car trains.

(highlight is my own, Southsider is an excellent source!)

Somewhat confusingly the article discusses a need for overtime labor to keep the project on pace, yet CATS insists that the budget and timeline remains fine.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/11/10/5305992/cats-pushing-some-light-rail-crews.html#.VGFxdskjUl4

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1