Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

Regarding the potential for a stop behind Publix, does the note "Prepare change order for Publix Wall" on page 122 of this, under the item for the Blue Line Capacity Extension, have anything to do with this stop?  Or is this something completely different?

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/Documents/FTA%20Quarterly-150123.pdf

Only time will tell.  

It is getting to be extremely frustrating how little CATS puts on its website.  There are all sorts of changes and activities that are no where to be found.  The most helpful piece of information on the Silver line is a 2006 link on how to download Adobe Acrobat.  Gee, thanks for that.  

There is little to no update on the Gold Line II funding, the Silver Line Alternatives Analysis, and much of any detail on the ebbs and flows on the Blue Line Capacity Expansion which seems to be changing scope a lot.   

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/epm/Services/Bids/Bid%20Documents/Add2_LYNXBLETrack-Syst-BLCapacityExpansion.pdf

I don't even remember if I already knew this or not because of the mixed information out there, but I guess Woodlawn is in scope.

The only reference I can see to Publix in the bid docs is some conduit changes. 

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/epm/Services/Bids/Bid%20Documents/Add3_LYNXBLE-BLCE_LessDrawings.pdf

Edit: 

It seems the only connection with the Blue Line Capacity Expansion and Publix is for "TPSS 9 (Publix Development)"  It is for a traction power substation and that is why they are just coordinating walls, to best conceal the substation.

Slide 16 of this deck:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/Documents/2013%200716%20-%20BLCE%20Pub%20Mtg-Final%20PDF.pdf

Only time will tell.  

It is getting to be extremely frustrating how little CATS puts on its website.  

The most frustrating is the lack of vision.  Mayhaps it is the fear of being held accountable for a vision.  

Transit plans MUST be by nature inspiring and forward thinking because we know our government will gut, cut, and disembody all that comes before it - thus dream big and hope that at the very least reality of the people's need is met.

Edited by Urbanity

• 2 weeks later...

Drove up N Tryon last night on my way to campus and they're making some good progress. That area is going to look so different when it is finished. The materials they're using on the bridges looks really nice.

I'm hopeful we'll see some good development south of Ikea Blvd where there is a lot of street frontage.

I doubt we'll see retail, but even if we just see some nice apartments with urban design, it would be such a huge improvement up there. It's really a shame everything north of the 49 split is already developed though. Not much free land to urbanize the area between there and campus.

That area you are mentioning south of Ikea Blvd, is that not the site of the Automall?

I'm excited to see more visible progress on the line, but I hope it does translate into a better urbanization north of NoDa.

I don't think the auto mall fronts Tryon. I think its off Ikea Blvd. I could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time.

I know I'm going to regret saying this but that isn't the worst site plan for an automall.  At least there is SOME pedestrian oriented sidewalks along UC Blvd and IKEA Blvd.  I'll say this, it could be worse.

I know I'm going to regret saying this but that isn't the worst site plan for an automall. At least there is SOME pedestrian oriented sidewalks along UC Blvd and IKEA Blvd. I'll say this, it could be worse.

I agree with what your saying, but after reading the last sentence, I'm trying to literally think of something other than an auto mall (realistically) that could be worse for this spot, and I can't. Like you said though, at least they have some walkable infrastructure, so maybe in the distant future something will change.

Edited by MilZ

At least it isn't directly adjacent to the light rail station, at least there is a little buffer for opportunity along the line there.  I still can't fathom how the carwash directly across the street from the Tyvola stop got approval. 

I wish this site plan had all of the dealership buildings fronting UC Blvd instead of just one.  That might've helped keep a more pedestrian scale on the project while still allowing room for the car lots behind.  Dealerships CAN be urban-esk if done properly.

But, let's be honest, UC Blvd and IKEA Blvd are basically lost causes for pedestrian infrastructure as they are now anyway.  This area is just University City 2.0

There's BLE construction work currently underway north of 7th St in uptown, which has closed 9th St at the tracks.  Does anybody know what they're doing, how long it's expected to take, and whether they will be done with construction inside I-277 when this is done?   

Annoyingly the BLE construction page has no info about 9th street:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/Pages/BLE%20Construction%20Information.aspx

In general terms there is little hope of roads reopening before tracks have been laid and tested. The construction timeline says that tracks in section "A1" (which I believe is the 9th street area) will start construction at the end of July and be complete at the end of October this year.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/projectfacts/Documents/2012%200723%20-%20BL45%20Construction%20Summary.pdf

Its pretty groovy to think that we will be seeing rail in less than 6 months.

Do you mean 9th Street station or about 10th Street being built?   Because building 10th Street is not in the BLE budget.  It is a separate city plan, and is purely being done on the east because it was included in the deal with Levine for city and county money relating to the park and other street improvements.   Like all the current work being done by Levine, it is all publicly funded by credits against future tax bills for Levine.  

9th Street Station itself will get an upgraded design as part of Art in Transit program, which I really like (and am excited that I like it, because will be my station as a 4th Ward resident).    My only concern is by making it appear like sheets blowing on a laundry line, it may actually catch wind and direct it down to the shelters.  But aesthetically, I think it is nice.  http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/ArtinTransit/inprogress/Pages/default.aspx

resized%20for%20web%20-%20night.jpg

As for the question whether the BLE plans to include an at-grade-crossing to accommodate the 10th Street, it does appear that the answer is yes.  

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cats/planning/BLE/overview/Documents/2012%2012%20-%20LYNX%20BLE%20Project%20Layout%20Map-A.pdf

In the real estate maps, it lists the 10th Street section that Levine is building, and includes a green triangle which is their symbol for the at-grade rail crossings.  

That would mean that the new [Levine] 10th Street would be built, would have a crossing for the Blue Line, and then until the county upgrades it, will simply be the driving path through the Hal Marshall parking lot to College, which does align to 10th St.   It really wouldn't be much for them to upgrade it to a proper city street, though, with that dashed line of planters as the median.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2302734,-80.8350146,80m/data=!3m1!1e3

Thanks for the info guys.  It would have taken me a month to find any of that.  I was mainly interested in 9th street, the station, grade crossing, tracks.  I had forgotten about 10th St.  I have to say that I am a little overwhelmed by everything that's happening in that part of uptown now.

That is a good looking station. 

• Like 1

^ Thanks to 8th and 9th streets being closed and 1st ward park construction it is currently _very_ difficult to get from the LRT to the UNCC building by foot on on a bike. The lack of attention to alternative routes for peds is more than a little annoying.

^ Sadly no. While it will be technically possible to walk from the current Amtrak station to Parkwood station, the walk requires a very roundabout route though some of the most unpleasant/dangerous portions of town.

That is why we NEED a new intercity rail station (check a few pages back for a really nice plan at the current site which would solve this problem).