Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

I like the idea of including neighborhood names as a much more  intuitive way to know where you're going. Lord knows "Greenwich Village" would help visitors (well, me) more than "Christopher Street"

Im told CATS has a policy of not assigning neighborhood names to transit stops. Doing so could be seen as preferential, prejudicial, or discriminatory to other neighborhoods/communities.

Which is basically the "fair housing policy" of transit labeling.

• Like 1

Since I can’t seem to find a straight answer on line, does anyone know if you purchase a day pass, that it will be good for the entire operating day? Or will expire at midnight? Like if I go out at eight or nine, and then return at like 12:30, will the pass still be valid? 

30 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

Since I can’t seem to find a straight answer on line, does anyone know if you purchase a day pass, that it will be good for the entire operating day? Or will expire at midnight? Like if I go out at eight or nine, and then return at like 12:30, will the pass still be valid? 

I rode this morning and bought a round trip. Expiration printed on the ticket was tomorrow at 3am - think they are being lenient with opening weekend/basketball/St Patrick's.

27 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Parkwood Station seems very dangerous for riders,  there are no functioning crosswalks yet for pedestrians to cross Parkwood. People are actually crossing Parkwood at 18th dodging cars

I agree, that whole area seems like it’s unfinished. 

52 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Parkwood Station seems very dangerous for riders,  there are no functioning crosswalks yet for pedestrians to cross Parkwood. People are actually crossing Parkwood at 18th dodging cars

I took the walk to Birdsong from there yesterday, it is crazy dangerous. The traffic poles for the new light have been installed for over a year, it's really absurd the city hasn't gotten it running yet

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, tozmervo said:
1 hour ago, Nolan said:

I took the walk to Birdsong from there yesterday, it is crazy dangerous. The traffic poles for the new light have been installed for over a year, it's really absurd the city hasn't gotten it running yet

They really have needed this at Brevard, 16th, and Belmont Street crossings for some time.  The whole area is dangerous for driving, I can't imagine trying to walk/bike there...

• Sad 1

This was a fun weekend to open.

I planned on riding from 485 to UNCC, but some St. Patty's Day reveler did what drunk people do all over the floor at 485 (and didn't even have the shame and good sense to scurry away). They made us all get off at Scaleybark and wait for the next train.

Other than that, large groups of drunk people are amazingly entertaining.  Also, the view of the skyline from the north was stunning.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

This was a fun weekend to open.

I planned on riding from 485 to UNCC, but some St. Patty's Day reveler did what drunk people do all over the floor at 485 (and didn't even have the shame and good sense to scurry away). They made us all get off at Scaleybark and wait for the next train.

Other than that, large groups of drunk people are amazingly entertaining.  Also, the view of the skyline from the north was stunning.

So, we can officially call it “the vomit comet”???

they need markings on where the train will stop at the stations so there is not a mad dash to the train at the longer stations. But maybe that’s something people will get used to over time 

15 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Keep it coming guys. I’m working on an article about all the screw ups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Good to hear of cooperation between CATS and another transit authority....the Concord-Kannapolis Transit Authority in this case.  Hopefully the beginning of a deeper integration.  http://www.independenttribune.com/news/new-bus-route-connects-concord-to-charlotte-light-rail/article_746a2e82-294e-11e8-8b5f-2f670ea0812b.html

• Like 3

8 hours ago, nakers2 said:

Just got home,  let’s just say that I hope there was another train after ours, because there were a lot of people still uptown when we left. I hope CATS  has a enough common sense to add a few extra trains on nights like this. 

Yeah, was watching trains going back towards UNCC last night from NoDa and they are all packed.  They need to run more frequently and get that third car ASAP

Edited by Desert Power
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

they need markings on where the train will stop at the stations so there is not a mad dash to the train at the longer stations. But maybe that’s something people will get used to over time 

You haven't lived until you've run down a DC metro platform when they inexplicably had a four car train

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

You haven't lived until you've run down a DC metro platform when they inexplicably had a four car train

Been there done that. And in Lisbon. And Madrid. But every time it was on shared lines so it was understandable. And it wasn’t as fast as the blue line was.  

Though the blue line did have a silly operator. “This train is going to uptown. I’m sorry, I meant to say downtown. I don’t say uptown,  it should be downtown.” Came on the intercom telling people to hurry up to get on trains. I’m personally not into what I call “Southwest Airlines” type service where everything is some viral like joke but I always assume I’m just stuck up and everyone else enjoys it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Been there done that. And in Lisbon. And Madrid. But every time it was on shared lines so it was understandable. And it wasn’t as fast as the blue line was.  

Though the blue line did have a silly operator. “This train is going to uptown. I’m sorry, I meant to say downtown. I don’t say uptown,  it should be downtown.” Came on the intercom telling people to hurry up to get on trains. I’m personally not into what I call “Southwest Airlines” type service where everything is some viral like joke but I always assume I’m just stuck up and everyone else enjoys it. 

Hah, I usually take that as someone making their boring job a little lighter.

Plus the busier the day, the more fun the crowd experience is. My most memorable times traveling are when fellow riders in packed trains make jokes with each other (NYC, DC, Boston, ATL)

• Like 2

Dropping into downtown with the 14, getting on the blue-line. Green-shirts everywhere.

Arrive at Noda in 10, get a doughnut and tacos.

A bit overcapacity on Saturday but otherwise a great success.