Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

30 minutes ago, grodney said:

"Going forward, in extreme weather conditions, at the end terminals operators will be notified to keep the doors closed.".

That's a silly statement, because in the summer, our humidity is extreme 97.9% of the time, which will make the AC units work overtime in those cars. Just keep the doors closed at the terminus stations...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, nmundo said:

Friend was on a train this morning that had to stop and be 'rebooted' so it seems to not have been a one off when it happened to me. Anyone have any ideas as to why they might be needing to do this?

That also happened to me yesterday aroumd 5pm while blocking 7th st

43 minutes ago, nmundo said:

Friend was on a train this morning that had to stop and be 'rebooted' so it seems to not have been a one off when it happened to me. Anyone have any ideas as to why they might be needing to do this?

I've been on buses when that happened, but I can't remember that ever happening on a train car. 

46 minutes ago, kermit said:

That also happened to me yesterday aroumd 5pm while blocking 7th st

I've been on a number of Newer model Subway Cars that this has happened in. It hasn't happened in years though, and it seems to be around when they started rolling out the R160 cars.

I was returning from Orr Road yesterday mid morning and the vehicle I drew next at Parkwood station was behind me at East-West. No sign of it there, no flashing lights to signal approach so driving through the center of town, city streets the whole way on a week day is well faster.  I was looking for it at every station I could see, 7th, 3d, Carson (Lexington cross), Park Avenue. Anyone else raced the light rail over an extended distance, even on a bus or bike?

I know I'm late, but Wednesday the family and I decided to check out the extension. In my humble opinion other than the Noda stop and UNCC, It's like all the other stops are pointless. University City is a pedestrian nightmare. Nothing and I mean nothing looks anything close to walkable. Narrow sidewalks, steep hilly dropoffs, HUGE parking looks, businesses so far off the street that they look like you'd need an uber to get there. The challenges to create TOD look daunting to say the least. S.Blvd never felt as suburban as Ucity, but after riding the lightrail vs car, I dont think Ucity has ever felt so suburban. I couldn't even imagine using this as a mode of transportation to get to work up there. Cold winter days and hot summer days would be torture. The only plus on a hot day would be the wind from the cars zooming by while aimlessly wandering on those cement walking trails they call sidewalks. And just forget about traveling after dark. I'll reevaluate in ten to fifteen years if I live to see it. But, the ride itself was... peaceful. Very Carowinds Monorail like. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NY+SC=NC said:

I know I'm late, but Wednesday the family and I decided to check out the extension. In my humble opinion other than the Noda stop and UNCC, It's like all the other stops are pointless. University City is a pedestrian nightmare. Nothing and I mean nothing looks anything close to walkable. Narrow sidewalks, steep hilly dropoffs, HUGE parking looks, businesses so far off the street that they look like you'd need an uber to get there. The challenges to create TOD look daunting to say the least. S.Blvd never felt as suburban as Ucity, but after riding the lightrail vs car, I dont think Ucity has ever felt so suburban. I couldn't even imagine using this as a mode of transportation to get to work up there. Cold winter days and hot summer days would be torture. The only plus on a hot day would be the wind from the cars zooming by while aimlessly wandering on those cement walking trails they call sidewalks. And just forget about traveling after dark. I'll reevaluate in ten to fifteen years if I live to see it. But, the ride itself was... peaceful. Very Carowinds Monorail like. 

Oh man I remember the Carowinds Monorail, right alongside Smurf Island. 

And the UCITY stops, I agree. It'll take longer than that for them to be retrofit, if even. 

But, Sugar Creek, Old Concord, Tom Hunter: ripe for urban projects. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but why isn't there a stop at/near the hospital or the shopping center across the street? Why are they so far from....things?

It is .2 miles from the JW Clay Station to the Hospital. That is about the length of 1.5 Walmart Supercenter or 3 football fields. The problem is perception since the area is so suburban and auto-friendly that .2 miles feels like eternity when traffic is going by at 55 mph. 

JW Clay is also across the street from the Shoppes at University Place. It should be an 8 minute walk from the station to Michaels, all the way on the other side of the shopping center lake. 

If there was a stop every .2 miles the ride would take forever. 

The problem with the way University City is set up and the light rail, is that while the light rail line is convenient for getting to Noda or Uptown, it doesn't really help facilitate running errands or going places in the neighborhood. Unless you go to UNCC where there is a station on campus, if you live in most of the residential areas, you'd be better of driving. By the time you took a bus to connect to the rail or walked all the way out of your sprawling suburban garden apartment complex....  you could have just driven to the Ross, Michaels, Ikea, or any other chain super store that University City residents are used to shopping at in the neighborhood. A 10 minute errand isn't really facilitated by the light rail because there is so much walking and crossing huge streets to reach your sprawling suburban apartment or house from the station.

The Hudson Commons Apartments are a good example. They are in theory relatively close to the light rail, but it would take 16 minutes to walk to the station from most of the units. If you were going to Ikea, you could have driven to Ikea 2 miles away and back in 15 minutes outside of the worst of rush hour. Let's say rush hour is really horrific... maybe 25 minutes? Vice versa on the train, the commuting portion of the errand would probably take 1 hour roundtrip at all times due to walking time + train waiting + train travel.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

^ This!

I did break my ride home last week with a stop at JW Clay to grab a late lunch at Cava. It was a surprisingly short walk from the station. Unfortunately their were two downsides. First, the timing on the crosswalks at the station is _awful_ (they basically force you to jaywalk through one of the two crosswalks). Second, once you are in the _recently remodeled_ center you discover that they didn't bother to build any helpful sidewalks so you gotta thread your way through parked cars.

Decent urbanism doesn't need to be complicated, but developers need to pay for some GD sidewalks through their parking lots.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I just got on a train at JW Clay and the first 2 floors of the deck were basically full. It definitely seems like night life use from non-students is picking up based on the people I saw on the train vs what I was seeing on the first week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Trains seem to have been busy throughout the weekend. This was a train from NoDa to Uptown around 11:30pm on Saturday.

IMG_1393.thumb.JPG.b84082bd3cf76fe5148197bf90ba56d6.JPG

They still seem to be having issues, on Saturday around 5 they had a train sitting at JW Clay for about 10-15 mins causing the train behind to run behind schedule, while I was at 25th St yesterday an announcement came on saying they were having delays both north & southbound, and this morning my friend told me that his train had to be restarted. That's 3 days in a row with at least 1 issue...

• Like 4

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article208324354.html

CATS partnering with Lyft to get riders to / from the station to a fenced area along the more suburban areas of the route with limited bus access. While ride share apps are a potential contributor to the decline in public transit ridership nationwide (particularly ditching the bus for a ride share), these areas have limited bus access so this could actually stimulate transit ridership rather than cannibalize transit bus ridership. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, EllAyyDub said:

Looks like you can get to/from PNC & JW Clay with this.  Nice.

But PNC is labelled as just outside the Lyft share code area outlined in red:

http://charlottenc.gov/cats/rail/Pages/first-mile.aspx#JWClay

Music Factory is also outside the area for Parkwood station:

http://charlottenc.gov/cats/rail/Pages/first-mile.aspx#Parkwood

Edited by southslider

1 hour ago, southslider said:

But PNC is labelled as just outside the Lyft share code area outlined in red:

http://charlottenc.gov/cats/rail/Pages/first-mile.aspx#JWClay

Music Factory is also outside the area for Parkwood station:

http://charlottenc.gov/cats/rail/Pages/first-mile.aspx#Parkwood

It looks like Pavillion Boulevard is the boundary, drop off at 49 North or the QT on North Tryon at 485 and walk the gap, better than dealing with that parking hell. 

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, CLT2014 said:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article208324354.html

CATS partnering with Lyft to get riders to / from the station to a fenced area along the more suburban areas of the route with limited bus access. While ride share apps are a potential contributor to the decline in public transit ridership nationwide (particularly ditching the bus for a ride share), these areas have limited bus access so this could actually stimulate transit ridership rather than cannibalize transit bus ridership. 

AMTRAK Station is in the zone for Parkwood !!

^BLE resulted in the limited bus service condition along N Tryon, where frequency was cut in half.  And for the section of N Tryon beyond 11th St, like Amtrak, all the way to Eastway Dr or Old Concord Rd even, it really is a bleak walk to the nearest station. 

Edited by southslider