Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

On 1/11/2019 at 6:14 PM, Matthew.Brendan said:

Oh man I’m gonna have to go dig. I’m 90+ percent certain that the equipment that was ordered and installed is capabale of 100% automation. I’ve asked about it before and the answer I believe was something like “yes, but...” 

It was either a Charlotte Talks or FAQ City podcast that I heard John Lewis say the system was capable "when the time comes" to be fully automated. He joked that he'd have to have a long talk with the union about that. 

14 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Kermit is now using the symbol of the Paris region public transport agency as his avatar

image.png.51a6a60ae4520303caf4c75df4a795e1.png

"In 1992, Paris public transport operator RATP ( Régie Autonome des Transports Parisiens) introduced a new logo featuring a silhouette of a girl looking up, which symbolizes the Seine river passing through Paris, represented in the shape of a circle.  Nowadays, it can be seen on all metro trains, buses, tickets, and Paris city maps."   Linkhttp://metromap.fr/en  -  The New Paris Metro Map

Edited by QCxpat
Add image of Paris Metro Map
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, rancenc said:

I was curious to see the ridership on the Kannapolis-Concord Transit since the North Line extension opened.  I received a response from the authority and ridership from 3/19/2018 to 12/31/2018 to the JW Clay Station was 24,131.

So a smidge under 130 per day? Seems kinda thin.

This number does show us what CATS sacrificed when they chopped the UNCC to 485 segment. They certainly would have filled a 1500 space deck, plus a few hundred drop offs  plus marginally better bus patronage. That station would have added 2k riders per day to the BLE after a couple of years.

4 hours ago, rancenc said:

I was curious to see the ridership on the Kannapolis-Concord Transit since the North Line extension opened.  I received a response from the authority and ridership from 3/19/2018 to 12/31/2018 to the JW Clay Station was 24,131.

3 hours ago, kermit said:

This number does show us what CATS sacrificed when they chopped the UNCC to 485 segment. They certainly would have filled a 1500 space deck, plus a few hundred drop offs  plus marginally better bus patronage. That station would have added 2k riders per day to the BLE after a couple of years.

Looks like that's spread over 14 hourly bus trips a weekday. With that kind of headway (even at rush hour), I'm impressed they're pulling even that number of riders.

Edited by tozmervo

4 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Looks like that's spread over 14 hourly bus trips a weekday. With that kind of headway (even at rush hour), I'm impressed they're pulling even that number of riders.

Exactly! I am a big supporter of public transit. But it's getting increasingly hard to wait longer to get on the darn train (worse case) than to drive to where I'm going. Someone has their head up a dark warm place.

7 hours ago, tozmervo said:

The new CCX operated by CK rider replaced 8 trips a weekday (4 each morning and evening) on the former 80X operated by CATS.  The old Express took over an hour to ride from Concord to Uptown.

14 hours ago, kermit said:

Why was the BLE not extended to 485 in the North again?  I-485 station to the south is always busy and a good alternative into Uptown during heavy congestion on I-85/I-77.  I think that was short sighted and I hope will be included in their Big-Bang Planning.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Why was the BLE not extended to 485 in the North again?  I-485 station to the south is always busy and a good alternative into Uptown during heavy congestion on I-85/I-77.  I think that was short sighted and I hope will be included in their Big-Bang Planning.

Money. They cut the last two stations from the original plan to get the construction cost down.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, southslider said:

The prior plan was to end just inside 485 on N Tryon/US-29. Now, I'd like to see the line extended to UCB/NC-49 instead. Ideally, there would be a transfer station with Amtrak and commuter rail to Concord, Kannapolis, and Salisbury.

Yes! This:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1C5o7eNpbkjAkDlnf0pP0d5mMFIo

(Any idea how to embed google maps on here? The forum seems to mangle the embed URLs...)

I understand the reasoning by truncating the line to UNCC as IIRC, projected ridership estimates for the I485 and Mallard Creek station were very low compared to the rest of the extension.

I also don't understand the reasoning behind the trench at the end of the line past the UNCC station. Any extension past UNCC would have to tunnel under or fill in that trench. 

I was hoping we’d at least finish it out to the county line at 485, then maybe Cabarrus County and Charlotte Motor Speedway could chip in and extend it the rest of the way to the Speedway. I remember seeing articles about that being a possibility, but I’m pretty sure there is no way the Speedway’s leadership would have gone for it unless there was something substantial in it for them.

1 hour ago, lit said:

I was hoping we’d at least finish it out to the county line at 485, then maybe Cabarrus County and Charlotte Motor Speedway could chip in and extend it the rest of the way to the Speedway. I remember seeing articles about that being a possibility, but I’m pretty sure there is no way the Speedway’s leadership would have gone for it unless there was something substantial in it for them.

The speedway should do anything they can to get people out to that dying enterprise. Would be nice to have Amphitheater rail access too... 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, kermit said:

Significant numbers of (what I assume to be Duke) workers are now using Parkeood station. 

Nice to see the activity.

hopefully the first one broke a champagne bottle, and cut a red ribbon with a giant pair of scissors. I feel like they are the first people to use it. 

Light Rail impacts due to the All-Star game:  Only 15 minute headways.  Ridiculous.  Plus, no getting on or off at the Arena station.  Plus strip-searches.

https://charlottenc.gov/newsroom/releases/Pages/RA-190131a.aspx

"

The LYNX Blue Line will operate during All-Star Weekend; however, additional security measures will be in place. Beginning at 5 p.m. till end of day service on Friday, Feb. 15, Saturday, Feb. 16 and Sunday, Feb. 17, purses, backpacks, suitcases, large tote bags or bulky items will not be allowed on board LYNX trains or at station platforms.

During All-Star Weekend, customers traveling from I-485 to UNC Charlotte must exit at 3rd St. Station; Customers traveling from UNCC Main Station to I-485 must exit at 7th St. Station.  Customers can continue their trip after security sweep has been completed.

On Feb. 15-17 from 5:00 p.m. till end of day service each day, there will be no light rail service at CTC/Arena Station.  Customers will need to walk to 3rd St. or 7th St. Stations for light rail service.

Four hours before each days first All-Star event, The LYNX Blue Line will operate every 15 minutes.

CATS buses will operate according to their regular schedules.  Given the anticipated crowds, additional security measures, and traffic conditions, you should anticipate delays.  We ask that you please plan accordingly.

"

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, grodney said:

Light Rail impacts due to the All-Star game:  Only 15 minute headways.  Ridiculous.  Plus, no getting on or off at the Arena station.  Plus strip-searches.

Uptown is going to have 1000's of visitors coming in and out of the city that weekend.  Would it hurt them that bad not to operate under rush hour frequencies?  At least during a certain time frame. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Uptown is going to have 1000's of visitors coming in and out of the city that weekend.  Would it hurt them that bad not to operate under rush hour frequencies?  At least during a certain time frame. 

including myself.