Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

So what’s up with the train doors for the past week. It’s been taking between 5 and 10 seconds for the doors to open after the train stops in a station. MUCH longer than a month ago. It doesn’t sound like much but it’s a serious PITass.

I don’t want to be the ‘that’s not how we do it up north guy’ I will say that train doors in Paris open before the train even stops — it makes commuting much more like a theme park ride.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 8:24 PM, KJHburg said:

Univ. City Partners posted this video someone took it looks like last summer of the entire route starting at I-485 South Blvd north to uptown and to UNCC.  it is 56 minutes but around 13 minute mark it is at Scaleybark and of course it starts getting really interesting.  This is not me!   

Update I have narrowed the time to right before Marine Week in mid Sept or right after the train was delayed probably for a helicopter taking off or landing.  

My only complaint is the text posted at '24:25' saying: "The easiest way to tell you are getting close to downtown is when you start to see rental bike and scooter pollution. I'll never stop hating these."

Talk about sour grapes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Tried to explain to an out of town visitor (who had downloaded the RideCATS app!) how to figure out inbound and outbound for the Blue Line. It would make a lot more sense for CATS to change how the Lynx is annotated. Maybe "To UNC Charlotte, and To I-485" instead of inbound and outbound?

Also told him that the bus timings on the app are spot on, but the Lynx is usually way off, for what it's worth.

• Like 1

Anyone know why the light rail has been so slow since the all-star game? It comes to a complete stop at almost all stop lights despite having right of way (which causes traffic issues near the JW Clay station) and it seems to only move at a brisk walking pace during a large portion of its route now. I know we talked about the doors taking longer to open as well which doesn’t help. It also seems to make random stops at some points. The other day, it stopped for almost 5 minutes at the Old Concord Rd station. Am I the only one???

Edited by thenewkage95

11 hours ago, thenewkage95 said:

Anyone know why the light rail has been so slow since the all-star game? It comes to a complete stop at almost all stop lights despite having right of way (which causes traffic issues near the JW Clay station) and it seems to only move at a brisk walking pace during a large portion of its route now. I know we talked about the doors taking longer to open as well which doesn’t help. It also seems to make random stops at some points. The other day, it stopped for almost 5 minutes at the Old Concord Rd station. Am I the only one???

No problems on the south half.....other than the slow doors.  In fact, I thought the drivers are going faster than normal (which probably isn't possible, but it has felt that way).....maybe to make up for time on the north half, ha ha!

11 hours ago, thenewkage95 said:

Someone drove into a crossing gate across from UC Hospital and that has forced trains to stop before crossing there (they gotta pour a new footing to replace the gate). I believe there has been work on several other gates on the N Tryon stretch while crews are up there.

Other than the hospital crossing I haven’t noticed any other consistent slowdowns (other than the GD doors) but CATS has had a string of bad luck and or maintenance issues the past month.

Edited by kermit

• 2 weeks later...

^ Nearly all of the’artsy’ glass panels on platforms at Tom Hunter have been broken for months (they arent broken-out like at Sugar Creek but they are clearly shattered). I saw CATS replace one batch of them about six months ago, but they immediately got broken again.

Surely there is a spec of glass they can use that is more robust.

CATS made some really bad choices with station finishes, they used normal drywall in portions of the ped bridge at U City — far too fragile for the environment.

Edited by kermit

On 3/28/2019 at 8:17 AM, Matthew.Brendan said:

All I think when I see that broken glass is the transplants from bigger cities who will say "I moved to Charlotte to get away from this kind of stuff?" Which no joke I hear on at least a weekly basis at my work in Uptown 

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

^ Nearly all of the’artsy’ glass panels on platforms at Tom Hunter and Mcullugh have been broken for months (they arent broken-out like at Sugar Creek but they are clearly shattered). I saw CATS replace one batch of them about six months ago, but they immediately got broken again.

Surely there is a spec of glass they can use that is more robust.

CATS made some really bad choices with station finishes, they used normal drywall in portions of the ped bridge at U City — far too fragile for the environment.

It would also be nice if people didn't suck and vandalize the stations, but I know that's too much to ask. 

• Like 4

My ride this morning

# of broken panels today. Station (visible from train — platform only)

1 36th 

1 Sugar Creek

0 Old  Concord

24 Tom Hunter (every one)

1 U City (in elevator area, photo below)

0  McCullough 

0 JW Clay

1E906EFB-34C5-481D-8783-9C0934ACE2C5.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 4

Who decided it was a good idea to build all of these glass bridges?!?!?  There is a reason that big city mass transit bridges don't look like airport terminals.  I complained on this forum about the design of the Sugar Creek bridge when I saw it.  This is SO short sighted.  Our climate does not necessitate enclosed and conditioned pedestrain bridges, and these spaces are BEGGING for abuse.  

I would ask the design team to step into the 7th street parking deck stairwell and think about the impact of concealed spaces in an urban environment.  I doubt they would last 2 minutes before the urine stench overtook them.

On 3/24/2019 at 10:36 PM, CLT> said:

Tried to explain to an out of town visitor (who had downloaded the RideCATS app!) how to figure out inbound and outbound for the Blue Line. It would make a lot more sense for CATS to change how the Lynx is annotated. Maybe "To UNC Charlotte, and To I-485" instead of inbound and outbound?

Also told him that the bus timings on the app are spot on, but the Lynx is usually way off, for what it's worth.

That or simple cardinal directions like southbound, northbound. Or both.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...