Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

I was on a Lynx train up front the other day and was able to see into the operator cab where at every stop the operator would count to 5 before pushing the button to open the doors. Not sure why this is happening but it is very intentional and part of their policy. A very annoying policy at that. Let me off this damn train!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, uptownliving said:

I was on a Lynx train up front the other day and was able to see into the operator cab where at every stop the operator would count to 5 before pushing the button to open the doors. Not sure why this is happening but it is very intentional and part of their policy. A very annoying policy at that. Let me off this damn train!

What the hell

5 hours ago, uptownliving said:

This is actually pretty standard, even in NYC. There's usually a delay before the doors open to help mitigate the slam that happens when people on the train crowd the door, and people off the train crowd the platform. It allows for some calming to make sure there isn't a stampede. Not sure what the volumes look like at the stations to require this on LYNX, but it isn't out of the norm. 

Trust me the 5 second wait time is not normal for any rapid transit line. I've ridden subways and rails on 4 continents of this Earth and none of them have had a 5 second delay. Also trust me it doesn't prevent crowding as it allows more time for more people to walk up to the door and wait for it to open. A 1 second delay is normal. 5 second delay is obnoxious.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I highly highly recommend contacting [email protected] with this complaint if you feel like this supposed "safety" issue is uneccessarily adding time to a trip that is already several minutes longer than what CATS promised. 

Thanks to toz's very helpful tip I emailed CATS earlier today. Here was the response they sent:

Hello Mr./Ms. Kermit

Thank you for bringing your concern with CATS Lynx to our attention.  We apologize for your displeasure regarding the door policy.  The door policies are state and/or federal transportation regulations and are unable to be changed.  Please use the online schedule to view all scheduled times.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.  Thank you for riding CATS Lynx.

Regards,

Rail Operations Administrative Assistant
Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS)

704-336-RIDE(7433) | [email protected]

So now I am even more ticked off than before. We all know that regulation is not the issue here. Why did they decide to outright lie about this?

Edit: I did follow up and asked for more specifics on the state or federal policy. No reply as of COB on Friday....

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, kermit said:

Thanks to toz's very helpful tip I emailed CATS earlier today. Here was the response they sent:

So now I am even more ticked off than before. We all know that regulation is not the issue here. Why did they decide to outright lie about this?

They do this at my stop in Brooklyn, count to five.

To be clear, in my conversation with the operator yesterday he did not say that the safety staff requires the five count due to the occasional mistakes on the operator panel by other operators. 

"They sometimes open doors on the wrong side, a serious safety issue. Also related to the slowness of progress near stations he said the safety staff requires this approach."

It is the approach slowness others have mentioned in the past that he said was required. The door issue was just a comment about equipment differences between train control panels.

A similar thing happened to Metro’s 7000 series trains in DC. I don’t know the background of the whole story (whether the operators were opening the doors on the wrong side or if the doors were opening automatically on the wrong side as the system is designed to have the train doors automatically open at every station) but anyways the train would be stopped at the station for 10-15 secs (or longer before the door would open) as the operator would have to push the door button to open it but then push another button to confirm the operator was opening the door on the correct side. I haven’t seen the long pause in a while though so I’m assuming they have this fixed. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 1

Hello Mr./Ms. Kermit

Thank you for bringing your concern with CATS Lynx to our attention.  We apologize for your displeasure regarding the door policy.  The door policies are state and/or federal transportation regulations and are unable to be changed.  Please use the online schedule to view all scheduled times.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.  Thank you for riding CATS Lynx.

Regards,

So I followed up on the "state and/or federal" regulation smoke blowing and asked them for specifics. Here was their reply today:

Hello Mr./Ms. Kermit,

Thank you for your response regarding the door policy.  This is actually a CATS (Charlotte Area Transit System) policy that coincides with our SSP (Safety Security Plan).  Our operators are required to wait five (5) seconds before opening the doors to ensure they are opening the doors on the correct side of the platform.  The operators will then keep the doors open for at least twenty (20) seconds before closing them to ensure riders have ample time to board or de-board the train; including individuals with disabilities.  If you have further questions, please reach out to CATS Marketing for written publications and additional materials.

Regards,

Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS)

704-336-RIDE(7433) | [email protected]

I am at a bit of a loss as to why it takes five seconds to "ensure they are opening doors on the correct side"

Edited by kermit
  • Confused 1

I posted Thursday that an operator on my car said other operators had opened wrong side doors. This was due to the newest cars with a single toggle switch while original cars have switches on both sides of console of cab. If the mistakes created the requirement directly, I cannot say, only CATS can answer that.

50 minutes ago, grodney said:

And why it changed so recently.  I can only guess as a response to something bad happening.

9 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

I posted Thursday that an operator on my car said other operators had opened wrong side doors. This was due to the newest cars with a single toggle switch while original cars have switches on both sides of console of cab. If the mistakes created the requirement directly, I cannot say, only CATS can answer that.

Yea, but it seems weird that its suddenly became a problem now. CATS has been running the dissimilar Siemens vehicle types for more than two years now.