Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

12 hours ago, Desert Power said:

trains that arrive on time

For fun, I've started tracking the train schedule performance.  Here's a sneak peek at the early results.  

My favorites so far:

• The afternoon trip on Monday.....during 7-minute headways.....arrived at 485 almost 8 minutes late.
  • Tuesday morning the 6:19 incoming at 485 was 8.5 minutes late....but the driver did a 2 minute 5 second turnaround to nearly get back on schedule.  Nice!

My clock is perfectly synchronized to the CATS clock as shown on the TVMs, by the way.

lynxperformance1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Was anyone riding during Charlotte's full campus lock-down yesterday?  I'm curious what CATS protocol is...I'd assume campus police and/or CMPD get in touch with CATS (light rail and bus) to notify them.  For safety precautions maybe make the ending light rail stop JW or University City.

CATS terminated BLE service at Mcullugh and ran a bus bridge to JW Clay from there throughout the lockdown.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/1/2019 at 7:34 AM, grodney said:

For fun, I've started tracking the train schedule performance.  Here's a sneak peek at the early results.  

I'm not clear on why CATS bothers publishing a schedule given it seems illusory? It definitely doesn't seem aspirational.

Do they really care as little as they seem to? I really do wish they could do this adequately. 

CATS has such  a problem w people using the emergency  exit end of U City station that they have stationed a rent-a-cop under the stairway. I don't know why CATS didn't realize that 'emergency only' routes are gonna get used when they are the shortest path.

How about a redesign instead? The problem is about to get much worse when the apartments across the street from Waffle House open.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 3:13 PM, kermit said:

While we are talking about busted stuff...

This grade crossing signal and gate has been gone for more than three weeks. This situation requires every train to come to a complete stop before proceeding.

D52FC163-7403-4806-A015-E5FCFFED6E71.jpeg

So it’s now been about six weeks since this crossing gate was driven into — there has been no progress at all over the past three weeks at least.

Now there are two additional intersections along N Tryon where trains must come to a complete stop every trip due to gate problems.

Seriously? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, kermit said:

At the risk of not being appropriately pc I think it’s interesting that more than 3/4 of riders at the University City station appear to be of Indian descent.  The station is also significantly busier at rush hours these days.

Transit passes are included in the consulting contracts negotiated between their employers and their clients, the who's who of big employers in this town...

Edited by ChessieCat
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, kermit said:

I would have taken the blue line to dinner tonight but I decided not to because of the 20 minute headways. 

They need real time gps tracking. That way people can plan appropriately when to get to the station 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Canceled my transit pass for June.  Maybe I will pick it up again in the cooler months.  Waited almost 30 minutes for a train home on Thursday evening around 630.  The reliability and timeliness has gotten really bad.

No it hasn't. On a recent Charlotte talks Lyles congratulated the city manager for ensuring the trains are always on time.  :-(

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

They need real time gps tracking. That way people can plan appropriately when to get to the station 

I agree that would be nice. But, you should be able to rely on the schedule and GPS is a convenience to show time away at the station and to notify your app in the very unlikely event a train has broken.

Edited by elrodvt

I had a new one last week......the driver over-shot the stop at 3rd St, and when the door opened, it was directly aligned with the yellow bollards that are supposed to be aligned between the two cars.  So exiting passengers had to step through the bollards or use a different door.

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

I voted option B

I did too for both but noted that frequent, reliable bus service from the neighborhoods was critical. I also suggested they take the train over the mall so one didn't have to cross the vast expanse of parking lot. Why must we do everything as absolutely cheaply (not frugally, cheaply) as possible?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1