Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

• 4 weeks later...

LYNX Blue Line service is currently suspended in both directions due to a large military vehicle stuck on the tracks near Sharon Rd West and South Blvd. We will advise when service has resumed and/or update with additional information when possible. Thank you for your patience.

What's this large military vehichle?

I'm normally on the 6:28am northbound from 485, so I don't see how busy the Light Rail is.  Today I got to 485 at 9:40, and it was full/overflowing, and Sharon Rd West was full/overflowing, and Arrowwood was full/overflowing, so I went up to Scaleybark.....also full/overflowing.  A guy there assured me this is normal.  Is it really?  This is summer even, when 10% of the workforce is on vacation. 

Or is there something going on uptown today?  

3 hours ago, Jayvee said:

He really is a joke. I’ve noticed INFINITELY more delays, issues and just general crap since he took over in 2015. Its just embarrassing. Not sure how we compare to other light rails but it’s nearly impossible to plan around the schedule because it is never on time

Being on time is critical. Denver's light rail system started posting poor on time reliability and people are voting with their feet. Light rail ridership is down almost -14% for the first five months of 2019 versus the same period in 2018. https://www.denverpost.com/2019/07/13/rtd-light-rail-ridership-denver-colorado/

Washington DC is having similar issues with reliability.

Our investments in light rail will look like a failure for a ridership perspective if people can't trust it to get them home on time. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Being on time is critical. Denver's light rail system started posting poor on time reliability and people are voting with their feet. Light rail ridership is down almost -14% for the first five months of 2019 versus the same period in 2018. https://www.denverpost.com/2019/07/13/rtd-light-rail-ridership-denver-colorado/

Washington DC is having similar issues with reliability.

Our investments in light rail will look like a failure for a ridership perspective if people can't trust it to get them home on time. 

I was just in Denver and was very impressed with what I saw.  I can't speak for the whole system, but I was staying downtown and I took the train from the airport to Union Station and back, and I used the free (and very full) bus service that goes up and down the 16th St. Mall corridor in downtown from Union Station.  The whole trip from airport to hotel cost me $10.50 for the 23-mile trip.  You can't beat that.  And the train was pretty full.

The population of Denver is about 720,000, with a metro of 2.8 million.  That's roughly the same size as Charlotte  But Denver has a very extensive metro rail system that goes to many parts of the city and out to far-flung satellite towns like Boulder and Littleton and Arvada.  It would be the equivalent of Charlotte already having trains running to SouthPark and Ballantyne, and from Rock Hill to Mooresville, Gastonia to Concord and Monroe.  Looking at the system map, which I've attached, and considering that Denver and Charlotte are similar in size (except for the fact that Denver didn't raze and destroy its downtown in the '60s like Charlotte did and now has a very busy and vibrant DT), I had to wonder how Charlotte got soooo far behind.

As I've said before, I live in San Diego.  We have a 55-mile light rail system (called the San Diego Trolley) that's currently being extended, adding another another 11 miles (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Trolley), plus a 41-mile commuter rail (the Coaster; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaster_(commuter_rail) ).  So a total 107 mile system versus only 19 miles in Charlotte.  San Diego is only about 30% bigger than Charlotte, but has 463% more rail.  Again, how did Charlotte get SO far behind?

Denver RTD Map.png

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 1

So how is a leadership change made at the top of CATS & LYNX? Will it take a decline in ridership?

I agree the new trolley should be free for at least a year or permanently to offset the horrible delay and everlasting mess on Trade & Hawthorne. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, easzman said:

So how is a leadership change made at the top of CATS & LYNX? Will it take a decline in ridership?

All previous CATS leaders (in the rail era) either retired (Tober) or left for better jobs (Parker and Flowers). The MTC has never fired a leader.

Honestly I don't think that anyone at the MTC, city or country is aware that CATS is currently being run badly. I have never had the sense that anyone who runs transit here ever rides it. As we have seen here they certainly never listen to feedback from riders.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, southslider said:

The bulk of operating delays are related to North Tryon motorists ignoring stop bars and crossing gates.

When one person makes a mistake, it’s just a mistake. When hundreds of people continue to make the same mistake over and over, something obviously has to change.

Since we can’t send everyone back to school overnight, could we change the intersections themselves? For instance, maybe the gates could remain in the “down” position until the turning lane has a green arrow, even if there isn’t a train approaching?

• Like 4

On 7/22/2019 at 5:25 PM, lit said:

When one person makes a mistake, it’s just a mistake. When hundreds of people continue to make the same mistake over and over, something obviously has to change.

Since we can’t send everyone back to school overnight, could we change the intersections themselves? For instance, maybe the gates could remain in the “down” position until the turning lane has a green arrow, even if there isn’t a train approaching?

I like the lower-cost idea of keeping the gates down.  Another one would be to add big STOP letters on the turn lanes before the skinny stop bar.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:30 AM, southslider said:

The bulk of operating delays are related to North Tryon motorists ignoring stop bars and crossing gates.

My brief study indicated that trips from 485 station to uptown lost time to the schedule on EVERY trip......thus, nothing to do with Tryon.  See "Time Lost" column below.  Of course N Tryon might cause even worse delays!

trainsouth.jpg

• Like 2