Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

33 minutes ago, t_money said:

We shouldn't be wishing death on people. Even if they are making bad decisions. That seems totally uncalled for.

It's all CATS fault!  They had an opportunity to purchase a state-of-the-art AI neural  inference machine with a nascent telepathic dual processing algorithm that could intercept/capture fragile (human) decision-making which in essence would mitigate or avoid such incidents.  Essentially wiping out those massive 1-3 minute delays between stations.     It was only half a mill.   #Do Better CATS

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

I'm far from arguing that CATS can be held harmless for everything (the BLE travel time is a particular sticking point), but it drives me crazy when complaints about headways, etc, should really be directed at our government representatives that give CATS the budget it has to work with. They can't spend money they don't have. 

Yea, I mostly agree on the budget and equipment stuff. But, as you mention, BLE speeds are a huge part of the problem. It looks to me (I am just an observer, its very possible I am misinterpreting) like the below-design speeds on the BLE made CATS’ original equipment order insufficient to deliver the planned frequencies  (originally 10 minutes off peak and 7 minutes peak, I believe).  I think those frequencies were budgeted for when the line opened. If so its these extended running times that required CATS to run  awful frequencies. I blame the situation on failures somewhere in the BLE construction and acceptance process -- the BLE opening delay was a big PR hit and they just didn't want to take another one.  At this point it looks to me like CATS is trying to revise history to make it appear they are doing what they said they would do, but they are just trying to bury their mistakes. To be fair, CATS has been working on signals on the BLE lately, so perhaps they are trying to bring speeds up to what was designed.

TLDR: I believe 7 and 10 minute frequencies were budgeted for by the MTC, but bad execution on BLE construction and design  means CATS can’t make it happen.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, grodney said:

I was just checking the Light Rail schedule and noticed they FINALLY changed it from "INBOUND" and "OUTBOUND" to something else.

So now under "Direction" it lists UNCC and 485.....but doesn't indicate if it's "from" or "to"!!!  Hahahahahahaaha.  Good try though??

comeoncats.jpg.a361d69359dd5d4728b2819a265644c8.jpg

Yet they still can't update the maps in their cars. (This was taken last Wednesday)

20190918_173835.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Sad 4

On 9/23/2019 at 2:32 PM, grodney said:

I was just checking the Light Rail schedule and noticed they FINALLY changed it from "INBOUND" and "OUTBOUND" to something else.

So now under "Direction" it lists UNCC and 485.....but doesn't indicate if it's "from" or "to"!!!  Hahahahahahaaha.  Good try though??

comeoncats.jpg.a361d69359dd5d4728b2819a265644c8.jpg

Still inbound or outbound on the app. Every time I've asked if they've planned on changing it they just always explain that outbound is to 485 and inbound is to Uptown....

I hate to say this out loud but it feels like operations over the past two weeks have been pretty consistent (says a guy who rides from East/West to UNCC).

There is still a little work going on at crossing gates on N Tryon, but trains seem to be showing up when they should and with relatively few slow zones.

Sure would like better mid day frequencies and getting rid of the stupid 10 second door delay rule but I am pleased to see the Blue Line moving in the right direction.

#NotReallyEnoughDataToDetectATrend

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kermit said:

pleased to see the Blue Line moving in the right direction.

Which direction is that? Inbound or outbound?

Morning headways still feel like they're notably longer than 7-8 minutes but that observation is anecdotal. I'm wondering if the upcoming track work coming up October 19-20th will get things running on an even more timely basis and possibly more smoothly?  (This is per the CATSRideTransit Twitter account which is otherwise useless)

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

So the 25th St Bridge, a Blue Line NECI project, seems to be underway... Finally!

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/25thStreetConnection.aspx

09/09/2019

Utility relocation is complete and this project is now in the bid phase. During this phase, the City uses a competitive bidding process to procure the services of contractors needed to build the project. By state law, the lowest responsible bidder is awarded the construction contract. 

Construction is expected to start by the end of 2019 and will be complete in early 2021.