Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

So multi-family development along the BLE is far stronger that it ever was on the South line (South of New Bern). Every station other than UNCC main has multi family construction underway or recently completed within 1/3 of a mile (ish) [the caveats here are JW Clay is getting a hotel, not apts. and Tom Hunter is seeing construction halfway between it and U City station.]

My question is, why is it so different on the BLE? Is it the cycle? Zoning? The precedent of the South line’s success?  None of these things explain why no one has started new multi family South of  Scaleybark yet.

whats up here?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, kermit said:

So multi-family development along the BLE is far stronger that it ever was on the South line (South of New Bern). Every station other than UNCC main has multi family construction underway or recently completed within 1/3 of a mile (ish) [the caveats here are JW Clay is getting a hotel, not apts. and Tom Hunter is seeing construction halfway between it and U City station.]

My question is, why is it so different on the BLE? Is it the cycle? Zoning? The precedent of the South line’s success?  None of these things explain why no one has started new multi family South of  Scaleybark yet.

whats up here?

Precedent and the fact that there is so  much investment capital out there desperate to develop apartments.

7 minutes ago, kermit said:

OK, but why nothing from Woodlawn, south still?

I would include the townhouse development at Arrowood station - almost 300 townhomes - additionally, I’ve heard that they will also build apartments (different developer) just behind the townhomes, south of the station and fronting the light rail

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kermit said:

Noticed the office buildings at the corner of Woodlawn and Old Pineville are being demo'd to make way for apartments and maybe town homes.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Edited by AP3
  • Like 2

Speaking of the BLE, August numbers for light rail ridership are out, and it looks as if there has been a marked improvement y-o-y.... with operational issues galore no less.   If they could get their operational issues sorted out, my guess is that ridership would be much better than it is today. 

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Honestly it might just be proximity to uptown.  There have been a few developments between NoDa and UNCC, but it seems to me that the bulk of the development along the BLE is going in between uptown and NoDa.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, t_money said:

I'm going to start pretending that BLE stand for "Blue Line East" or something, because I hate the term blue line expansion because its all just one Blue Line now!

I prefer "Northline" or something to that effect, you're right, Blue Line Extension will get dated fast. Reminds me of the 105 extension up in Boone. It was built decades ago to bridge the gap between 321 and 421 to prevent all traffic from having to route down to ASU presumably, but today it just sounds kind of silly as it integrates into 105 so well, and it IS technically part of highway 105. 

• Like 1

Can someone please refresh my memory...

Is it correct that the Northern/new section of the blue line’s stops were all built to accommodate three cars? Whereas some/none of the original Southern stops cannot accommodate a third car?

Is that accurate? And is there a plan to lengthen all of the stops to accommodate a third car? A lot of the rush hour trains could use a third car in my opinion. I know increased frequency is always another short term solution, too.

33 minutes ago, kermit said:

Capacity limitations are a huge issue for CATS. I would argue that the sardine can nature of the Blue Line between 4:30 and 6 has put a cap on ridership.

Even at our most sardined in Charlotte, we have nothing on this (Shanghai metro at rush hour). This was solid people. I'm not saying I ever want to be this packed again but Lynx doesn't even begin to compare.20190416_174224.thumb.jpg.a4dac02a7c42e9ba66b0a5d5e69f75bd.jpg20190416_174228.thumb.jpg.a5c6252e7222c506257e9a622f01cf6c.jpg

• Like 3

Today the 6:28am northbound from 485 had to de-board at Arrowwood "due to a biological impact".  That was unsettling, hahaha.  Talked to a CATS guy and apparently somebody ralphed in the first car (I was in the 2nd).  Ewwwww.  Anyway they took the whole thing out of service and we waited 15 mins for the next one.  Honestly surprised this doesn't happen more often.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, grodney said:

Today the 6:28am northbound from 485 had to de-board at Arrowwood "due to a biological impact".  That was unsettling, hahaha.  Talked to a CATS guy and apparently somebody ralphed in the first car (I was in the 2nd).  Ewwwww.  Anyway they took the whole thing out of service and we waited 15 mins for the next one.  Honestly surprised this doesn't happen more often.

This has literally never happened before, I've been on trains with people who have puked, and twice someone peeing in the train itself onto the floor and the train just kept on rolling and all of us went to the other side of the car

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Trickbot said:

This has literally never happened before, I've been on trains with people who have puked, and twice someone peeing in the train itself onto the floor and the train just kept on rolling and all of us went to the other side of the car

I was on a train the St. Patrick's Day weekend the extension opened. Had to get off around Woodlawn so they could clean up some reveler's vomit.