Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

1 hour ago, nmundo said:

I drive past it everyday to work so I looked it up at one point. It's separate from the city's attempt to rezone all land around light rail stations to TOD (19-102). A developer asked for it to be rezoned mostly TOD-CC and some TOD-TR. Looks like it got approved last month but I have no idea what they're actually planning to build there. This is the actual petition (19-081)

https://charlottenc.gov/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2019Petitions/Pages/2019-081.aspx

The company filing the petition mostly does multifamily:

https://stonehengereg.com/active-projects/

• 2 weeks later...

29 minutes ago, Brendv7 said:

Light rail having an issue this morning. Both North and Southbound trains I saw crawling at the pace of someone walking. Long lines of cars at intersections. At least three CATs trucks in the parking lot across from All American at the Bland St. stop checking on something 

Looked like the crossing gates weren't coming down, starting around East/West.

5 minutes ago, HopHead said:

There are reports this morning of downed power lines in SouthEnd near the Midnight Diner. Traffic is backed up getting into uptown. That may have something to do with it. 

Yes power poles came down right next to Spectrum Vantage Southend construction site and some power is still out in the area. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is still a slow order on the UNCC campus viaduct more than a month after the weekend shutdown / maintenance blitz (it appears that rails were replaced on the bridge but that apparently was not enough to return speeds to what they were a year ago).

[the post makes me realize that UP desperately  needs a jerk-off-motion emoji that could only be used in reference to CATS]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Replaced rail that’s <3 years old? Impressive!

only Hawthorne Bridge can beat that!

The last quarterly report said that the rail on the bridge was 'shifting'. It sounded like it was not appropriately anchored on the viaduct.  I am guessing they were concerned about metal fatigue from the movement. Fixing this was an agenda item during the weekend shutdown, and new rails were staged at UNCC Main, but based on current speeds, they accomplished nothing.

[special CATS jerk-off motion emoji here]

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

My nephew said it took 1 hour to get from UNCC to East West station tonight around 5:45 pm. 

that wouldn't surprise me, although I rode the same route about a half hour earlier and it took the 'normal' amount of time (slightly less than 40 minutes).

Afternoon rush hour crowding continues to get worse....

• Thanks 2

I’m not sure how many of you saw the WBTV report concerning increased Blue Line frequency during the ACC Championship Game.  They’re reporting that CATS increased frequency to run trains every 8-10 minutes during the lead up to the Game and afterwards.  

Anyone go to the game notice that?  Did CATS actually do something right?

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 3

No announcement on the tweeter but unit 315 (plus its twin) dark on the tail tracks at UNCC is a bad sign for today’s rush hour schedule. 

B2FEAD78-6B43-432E-A7A2-5CE6A051F1E5.jpeg

Edit: 315 was my ride this morning so I am glad to see they are getting service jobs done overnight.

And (riding in the front seat today looking at a bunch of fence jumpers) I gotta say the one ended station design on much of the BLE is stuupid and ineffective at controlling people who will always take the shortest path.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2