Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

11 hours ago, LKN704 said:

How are cars that are only 13 years old reaching their Midlife?

TriMet still uses cars from the 1980s, and the LA Metro and Denver RTD all have light rail vehicles from the 1990s.

I think "midlife" shouldn't be taken too literally, or could alternatively refer to the halfway point to when the trains will need a full refurb. I know some of the trains on the DC Metro date to the early to mid 80's but are far from original "under the hood."

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

City is booming, especially along the Blue line, with thousands and thousands more apartments opening in the coming year or two literally in walking distance to the stations (that is the whole idea, right?) and yet CATS is total amateur hour. It’s clear it is way out of its league with the needs for this city. 

We need more rolling stock, now. We need higher frequency, now. We need 3-car platforms, now. 

I wonder if the city will include funding for more Lightrail vehicles (LRV) as well as more buses.  They need more LRV and Buses in order to increase frequency (15 min headway’s for bus routes, 7.5 min for BlueLine during rush) - The Mayor and City Council seems very motivated to do something with all the lip service had during their annual retreat.

Hopefully increased funding will follow.

Edited by Hushpuppy321

31 minutes ago, JHart said:

"Vehicle maintenance is normal and expected, as our trains make nearly 6,000 monthly round-trips and still operate overall 98% on-time, which is well above the industry average of 88%." 

Not sure where that stat comes from, I honestly have never once taken the lightrail and had it arrive at its scheduled time. Maybe if on-time is a 5 minute tolerance...

Most likely CATs isn’t using the arrival time to justify if the train is arriving on time. 

Assume a train leaves station 1 on time and arrives at station 2 five minutes late, that train is late by everyone’s point of view, CATs and the rider.  Then the train leaves station 2 and travels through to the end of the line to station 20, arriving 5 minutes after the scheduled arrival time at each station. To the rider at each station the train is 5 minutes late because it is five minutes after the scheduled arrival time. 

But to CATs the train is on time, this is because the event that caused the delay only results in 1 delay, the immediately following stop and not a delay through every stop.

TLDR; “ontimeness” is most likely measured against a set time for how long it takes to travel between two adjacent stations and nothing else. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Popsickle said:

TLDR; “ontimeness” is most likely measured against a set time for how long it takes to travel between two adjacent stations and nothing else. 

Yes, and when I sampled times in Apr/May last year, in just the south half of the blue line, the train lost time to the schedule in 100% of trips......probably losing a bit of time all along the way.  The sample size, of course, is admittedly small.

trainnorth.jpg

trainsouth.jpg

• Thanks 1

The Observer has a smidge more information on the slowdown: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article240424711.html

1) 90 Second slowdown (and its associated capacity crunch) starts in April

2)

The authority also acknowledges under-estimating the number of trains needed once the extension to UNC Charlotte opened in 2018.

While spare trains were initially able to continue making stops every 7.5 minutes, the overhaul work no longer makes that viable, CATS says.

3) Ontimeness: " “In January, for example, mechanical issues resulting in a delay during peak service occurred four times,” CATS spokeswoman Juliann Sheldon said." WTF?????

4)

CATS says it’s trying to find money to buy more light rail vehicles but says that it will take more than two years to build and test new vehicles if funding comes through.

Edited by kermit

3 hours ago, kermit said:

Adding to the air of incompetence, the majority of out of service trains I see (at the North Yard) are 300 series (which are all less than 5 years old). The 100 series appear to be more reliable (based on their 'Hanger Queen' status).

I mean is that incompetence or a manufacturer issue that is playing havoc with our system