Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

The problem is more the "X" pattern of the Silver Line and Blue Line as a hub and spoke system and whether riders will frequently transfer between trains. The same problem exists for the bus system being a spoke system where it is inefficient to have to go all the way Uptown to get between South Charlotte and East Charlotte, versus a more direct route. 

Take somebody going from Matthews to UNCC. It is a 25 minute drive around the I-485 outer loop or will be around a 1 hour and 15 minute commute via the train. The passenger will have a 35 minute ride all the way to Uptown, wait ~5-8 mins for the next train, and then make the 35 minute ride up to UNCC. 

Somebody going from the airport to Scaleybark Station to grab a beer at Olde Meck would have a ~15 minute drive. On the train you'd have 20 minutes from CLT to Uptown, 5 minutes of transfer time, and then 15 minutes from Uptown to Scaleybark for a 40 minute trip. 

The problem already exists for the Gold Line and Blue line. Say you are going from Novant Hospital over to the Design Center. It is a 9 minute drive. Via train, you have 12 minutes on the Gold Line from Novant to CTC station, 5 minutes of waiting, and 13 minutes on the Blue Line for 30 minutes total. 

The point is tunnel or no tunnel, connecting isn't going to be a very efficient option for most travelers due to the X pattern. Hence the system will continue to be primarily used as a commuter line for people with their end destination being directly on the route of the train they are taking, rather than a connecting system (i.e. direct from South End to UNCC on one train rather than South End to Airport on two trains)

Regardless of the layout, there are going to need to be transfers unless we had a fully built out London, Paris or New York style subway system. I'm not sure how there is anything besides an "X" pattern with 2/3 lines.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Regardless of the layout, there are going to need to be transfers unless we had a fully built out London, Paris or New York style subway system. I'm not sure how there is anything besides an "X" pattern with 2/3 lines.

And just to dispel some myths about the NYC system. To get from Lower Manhattan to above Central Park can take almost an hour, not including delays. To get from the start to finish along the A train can take almost 2 hours. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Regardless of the layout, there are going to need to be transfers unless  even if we had a fully built out London, Paris or New York style subway system. I'm not sure how there is anything besides an "X" pattern with 2/3 lines.

ftfy

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

And transfers will be possible at the 11th Street / Blue Line junction station for the group of customers that do want to transfer from Silver to Blue. The cost of a tunnel though could be a major jump on building additional lines to support the broader network, including non-Uptown lines at some point (i.e. Airport to South Park to UNCC half loop line).

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 11:40 AM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Thanks for the info.  Do you prefer the Sycamore/Artherton stop or the Spectrum/Publix and Why?

I prefer the Sycamore/Atherton stop because of the redevelopment potential on the Sycamore side of the tracks even though it looks to be only a few hundred (600) feet away from each other.

I know the stop is needed but part of me doesn't want it because I feel like (if you're heading towards 85) this is where the lynx starts to pick up speed. I live right at the 36th street station so most of my ride towards southend or further moves at a crawl. 

Selfish rant over, thanks for letting me vent :)

20 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Well yeah... that’s what light rail is. It isn’t a metro system and shouldn’t be expected to act as one. I would much rather take a 30 minute ride for less than 5 dollars than spend the same amount of time adding to already congested traffic and/or paying $25-$30 to use a ride share.

I also think your 40 minutes for 2 miles statement is exaggerated and doesn’t reflect the overall accuracy of times, as it has never taken me even half of that amount of time to travel the same stops. 

I was mostly talking about using both trains, since people were saying if the Blue/Silver lines aren't connected at a common platform than it makes it useless for commuting. My point is that people will really never take both lines, so it wouldn't matter as much if there was a walk between.

The 40 minutes might be a slight bit exaggerated, but unless you live in Novel at the 36th stop and are going to Suffolk Punch basically on the platform, you're going to have to walk. Add in a 5 minute wait on the platform and it definitely has taken that long before.

I'm still a big proponent of the system, it just can be disappointing  at times what we get when BLE is basically a year old

4 hours ago, JHart said:

I was mostly talking about using both trains, since people were saying if the Blue/Silver lines aren't connected at a common platform than it makes it useless for commuting. My point is that people will really never take both lines, so it wouldn't matter as much if there was a walk between.

The 40 minutes might be a slight bit exaggerated, but unless you live in Novel at the 36th stop and are going to Suffolk Punch basically on the platform, you're going to have to walk. Add in a 5 minute wait on the platform and it definitely has taken that long before.

I'm still a big proponent of the system, it just can be disappointing  at times what we get when BLE is basically a year old

If people aren't switching from Silver to Blue then using Silver to commute to a job uptown is pretty useless.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm no expert, but I don't think surface contact has ever been thought to be a big source of spread of the virus.  Not that it cannot spread from surface contact...but that people breathing/coughing/sneezing in close proximity to one another is how it spreads best...like in a crowded train.   If the trains aren't crowded and people wear masks and spread out as best as they can, it's probably not spreading...but if trains are full and people are shoulder to shoulder, well, I'd wait for another train...

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 12:23 PM, TheMightyBK said:

I'm no expert, but I don't think surface contact has ever been thought to be a big source of spread of the virus.  Not that it cannot spread from surface contact...but that people breathing/coughing/sneezing in close proximity to one another is how it spreads best...like in a crowded train.   If the trains aren't crowded and people wear masks and spread out as best as they can, it's probably not spreading...but if trains are full and people are shoulder to shoulder, well, I'd wait for another train...

Surface contact got lots of attention when the virus first arrived, but studies have consistently found it not to be a significant vector. Lots of the hysterical ‘cities are done’ takes focused on surface transmission (e.g. elevator buttons). Mass transit (crowded or not) has been consistently shown to not be a major vector either, its speculated that the lack of talking and limited period of occupancy in the vehicles are the things that have limiting virus spread on transit, there was concerning news about bus operators in London and a few here, but no evidence that passengers have contracted the virus while riding transit. Outbreaks have never been seen emanating from the very crowded transit in Taiwan, Japan, Europe and NYC (as MightyBK points out, masks have always been worn in Asia)

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I wouldn't be surprised if the fare enforcement team is being specifically told not to enforce the mask rule. 

I know in DC face coverings are required but Metro has repeatedly said that they will not refuse to transport anyone who either doesn't have a face covering or electively refuses to comply, which brings me to the question of why even make it a requirement. 

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, lit said:

Blue Line is operating on Sunday Schedule seven days a week until further notice, according to their Twitter

Not a great look if going for the Big Bang vote. Vehicle traffic is building back up steadily for people doing errands, going to entertainment, etc.. the city isn't a ghost town anymore.

This indicates that CATS is failing to compete and move people for uses other than an alternative to driving to work Uptown.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

CATS: "We are reducing service to make ridership fall even further. If you actually have somewhere to go and don't want it to take an hour, you can purchase a cheap car here: autotrader.com, edmunds.com, facebook.com/marketplace... oh but after you buy that car, vote for more of this train thing."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1