Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

5 minutes ago, mintscraft56 said:

Hello. Im from Norfolk, VA. We have a light rail called the tide here and they are desperate for an expansion but Virginia Beach is bullying us around on that. Anyways whats the light rail like in Charlotte? Iv been thinking of visiting but I just wanted down the basics of the city first before I go to explore. 

We have the Blue Line which is the more popular one. Goes from Pineville (South Charlotte) all the way through South End and Uptown north to the University City area.  The Gold line goes from west of uptown to east of uptown (Plaza Midwood area).  And now they are planning for the Silver line which will go from Matthews (SE) all the way to the airport and beyond.  There has been an astronomical  amount of development since the Blue Line debuted in 2007.  Like night and day.  

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

We have the Blue Line which is the more popular one. Goes from Pineville (South Charlotte) all the way through South End and Uptown north to the University City area.  The Gold line goes from west of uptown to east of uptown (Plaza Midwood area).  And now they are planning for the Silver line which will go from Matthews (SE) all the way to the airport and beyond.  There has been an astronomical  amount of development since the Blue Line debuted in 2007.  Like night and day.  

Wow. All we have is the tide lol. It reminds me of a subway system you all have. Oh and plus whats the best place to visit in the city in your opinion? Iv heard some say Downtown and others the outskirts.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Temeteron said:

Have dinner in either NoDa and ride it afterwards to uptown, walk around there, then either walk or catch it again and bar hop in The South End.  Buy a day pass so you can relax and hop on when you can.  Don't limit yourself to one area

• Like 2

On 9/16/2021 at 3:25 PM, elrodvt said:

I rate RTD in Denver, when I lived there, much higher fwiw. Used it all the time. Busses were better also.

I was very impressed with what I saw in Denver.  I was there on business, staying downtown.  I took the train from the airport to the train terminal downtown where I was able to catch a connecting bus to my hotel.  It was so easy.  My hotel was located near that entertainment district (I forget what it's called) which has a dedicated bus line down the main strip and back to the terminal.  It was fantastic.  I understand there is now lightrail all the way out to Boulder (another of my favorite places).  The Denver metro system is so far ahead of the game.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I was very impressed with what I saw in Denver.  I was there on business, staying downtown.  I took the train from the airport to the train terminal downtown where I was able to catch a connecting bus to my hotel.  It was so easy.  My hotel was located near that entertainment district (I forget what it's called) which has a dedicated bus line down the main strip and back to the terminal.  It was fantastic.  I understand there is now lightrail all the way out to Boulder (another of my favorite places).  The Denver metro system is so far ahead of the game.

Boulder service is still just the Flatiron Flyer which is great but just express bus service

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Damn thats terrible frequency...

With lighter traffic still than pre-pandemic, it makes the comparison to driving even worse too.

It is 6PM right now on a Tuesday.... estimated drive time from Center City to UNCC is 18 minutes. Drive time from Center City to Fort Mill is 20 minutes.... one could be at their destination via car before the next train even arrives.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2021 at 11:05 AM, kermit said:

Despite the struggle to hire enough drivers to run reasonable service, fare checking is now being done with five person teams. 

why?

(yea, I realize that security is a contracted service)

(only one farelsss person in my car of 20ish riders)

Maybe they've run into some belligerent folk. I've seen a few that would require five to pin down or throw off.

1 hour ago, Windsurfer said:

Maybe they've run into some belligerent folk. I've seen a few that would require five to pin down or throw off.

I dunno. Initially (pre BLE) fare checking was done by one, unarmed guy (and he was super professional). Then they switched to two armed guys. And the crew of five from yesterday appeared to be unarmed. None of these folks appeared to be at all interested in wrestling anyone. Since one (armed) CMPD officer appears to be sufficient for nearly all enforcement activities, I don't really see why the Blue line would be a more complicated environment than that.

I really wouldn't think there would be many safety issues with this job. Its just a $2.20 fare. If someone is combative then shrug and walk away -- if you feel the need, radio for CMPD to be waiting down the line,

Perhaps the big crew was for training purposes? (but its the second time I have seen the heard at work this week).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1