Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

1 hour ago, kermit said:

No, most platforms South of uptown are too short for three car trains (due to a value engineering decision in 2006 when the blue line was under construction).

Frequency is MUCH better than bigger trains. Higher frequency does have higher costs, but it generates MUCH more ridership as schedules become  less significant.

Yah I would prefer frequency. Hell if they could get 2 cars up to pre-pandemic levels, and than add single car in between, that would be wonderful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This was not done in Charlotte with CATS or LYNX was it?   From our capital city and Durham and Chapel Hill.

https://goraleigh.org/news/bus-fares-suspended-through-june-30-2022

If not why not?  I know the streetcar is free for now but this I assume would keep ridership.  

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/wake-county-news/with-free-fares-and-rising-gas-prices-is-raleighs-bus-system-attracting-more-riders/

GORaleigh the local bus system in Wake County is up to 73% of its pre Covid ridership.

https://www.wral.com/average-gas-price-in-raleigh-reaches-4-19-why-not-ride-the-bus-instead/20179091/?s=

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I'm but a single data point, but ridership on my express route has tripled or more since the beginning of March. 

Interesting - I know the Express buses were heavily used during the AM/PM Rush Hours just prior to the Pandemic and I believe that will  return for awhile during these heightened Gas Prices.  It’s also occurring right when a lot of Employers Uptown are beginning to require either a Full or Hybrid Work Week Return to the Office.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Interesting - I know the Express buses were heavily used during the AM/PM Rush Hours just prior to the Pandemic and I believe that will  return for awhile during these heightened Gas Prices.  It’s also occurring right when a lot of Employers Uptown are beginning to require either a Full or Hybrid Work Week Return to the Office.

I saw an article about Goldman Sachs requiring all its employees to return to the office, but only half showed up!  With the unemployment rate now below 4% (considered full employment) what are companies going to do?  They're not going to fire folks because with a small available labor pool their employees have leverage now.  I think full time work from home or hybrid models won't be disappearing anytime soon, if ever.  While gas prices may encourage public transportation, that will be counterbalanced by people staying at home.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I will add to this: perhaps not surprisingly, commute traffic is much, much heavier on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Monday falls behind that, and Friday even further behind that. This was already sort of true before covid and it seems to be greatly amplified now, probably owing to WFH making WFO weeks shorter.  

An additional anecdote: last fall, there were trips where I was the only 77x rider. This morning, every bench on the bus had a person sitting on it. 

Welcome to the new norm. Hybrid schedules and the forced acceptance of flexible WFH that shows work can be conducted anywhere with a reliable internet connection and hardware and/or devices. The LYNX Blue Line has basically 75% of the way bounced back on weekday ridership. The issues are the long wait times between trains on average 20 minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

First, I am very glad CATS has finally found a way to increased Blue Line frequency (even if the increase is the smallest possible incremental improvement in service -- one additional train per hour)

Second, this was standard OFF PEAK frequency from the pre-pandemic days. Pre-pandemic (and pre 100 series equipment overhaul) frequency was 8 (peak) and 16 (off peak) minutes on weekdays.

CATS still has a long way to go before they are offering decent LRT service. I know CATS is struggling with hiring drivers but these frequencies WILL discourage people from returning to transit.

image.png.681cd641645de1050977e0d2daeae6a6.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, kermit said:

First, I am very glad CATS has finally found a way to increased Blue Line frequency (even if the increase is the smallest possible incremental improvement in service -- one additional train per hour)

Second, this was standard OFF PEAK frequency from the pre-pandemic days. Pre-pandemic (and pre 100 series equipment overhaul) frequency was 8 (peak) and 16 (off peak) minutes on weekdays.

CATS still has a long way to go before they are offering decent LRT service. I know CATS is struggling with hiring drivers but these frequencies WILL discourage people from returning to transit.

Wells is still coming back (haven't really yet, next week is the big push) I but they are keeping track of MoM increases, and would not be surprised to see this go to 10 minutes in the near future. I am not sure we ever see 7 though. 

• Like 2

Training those operators takes months to get enough hours of experience. Also I think from what I’ve heard they usually come from driving city busses. So I assume those need to be replaced first to then get people to move into an operator position.
  • Like 2