Charlotte's Light Rail: Lynx Blue Line

dubone

16 minutes ago, jthomas said:

You had lunch with your wife for the first time in years?

Honestly, it was the first time I've gone to meet her for lunch while she was working outside the house in years. She recently changed jobs and ended up "hybrid," and I have a couple of days off -- a rare opportunity!

19 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

get ye the CATS Pass app and never touch a kiosk again. 

Good point, I'll definitely use it next time I'm going uptown.

• Like 3

These frequencies and overcrowding could lead to lower ridership among those who chose to come back and find it to not be most convenient to their needs. Blue Line ridership below: 

October 22 Ridership: 14,972 (Weekday) September 22 Ridership: 15,690 (weekday) 

I believe 

Is the frequency cut due to staff shortage? I forget why the Lynx has lower frequencies. We’ll have to wait for November to see if there is a decline in ridership or not (though it could be distorted by the holidays but still. I think we could extrapolate based on other transit agencies) 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Not all stations are equipped to handle 3 cars in the southern portion and CATS has been slow to upgraded the then VEd stations when it was first built. Likely due to budgeting and other issues.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

what is the possibility of longer trains like they use in Dallas with DART or at least one more car?  are our stations set up for that?

IMG_2687.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

Not all of the stations are set up for long trainsets. And until they all are, it’s doubtful they’d run longer trainsets until all stations can handle longer trainsets. 

I do believe Charlotte applied for Grants back under Obama’s term for $ to expand some stations but I can’t remember any actually being extended. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

what is the possibility of longer trains like they use in Dallas with DART or at least one more car?  are our stations set up for that?

3-Car train platforms were supposed to be part of the original Blue Line IIRC, but were eventually cut out for budgetary concerns. IIRC, all BLE stations can handle 3-car trains, and CATS received a TIGER grant sometime in the 2010s to lengthen some of the original platforms, but I am not sure what happened with that project. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, kermit said:

CATS has enough equipment to run two car trains on the Blue Line every 7 minutes (they did this briefly at peak pre-pandemic). They are only missing drivers (and it appears that situation has not improved since the frequency cuts in August).  CATS told the FTA in their grant application for the BLE that they had sufficient equipment to run two car trains every 5 minutes, but the BLE was never able to reach its design speed due to moron drivers and the crossing gates on N. Tryon (and lousy design and operating policy that allowed drivers to slow down trains).

Lets not kid ourselves, at 20 minute headways the Blue Line operates more like commuter rail than transit. You gotta plan you day around the train schedule, that makes it much less useful to riders than a ‘just show up’ frequency level. There are many days that I wish I could stop on my way home at 36th st or 7th street for a sandwich or beer or whatever, but the thought of having to wait to reboard one of the three trains per hour always stops me.

In other words, if CATS had all grade-seperated interactions along the LYNX Blue Line with all roadways then the trains would move at the optimum speed for higher frequencies. 

Another reason why I repeatedly say the any regional rail component, specially the LYNX Silver Line, in this region that's not streetcar should be totally grade-seperated from all roadway interactions. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, kermit said:

Well, yes, but there is a less drastic design change possible that would speed the line up.

currently trains must come to a full stop at any grade crossing where a car in a left turn lane (going across the tracks) is stopped in front of (e.g. the wrong side of) a gate. This happens ALOT (generally twice per BLE trip). If CATS trashed the gates which stop left turners (these gates are perpendicular to the tracks and only block the left turn lane) and replaced them with double gates which run parallel to the tracks (like everywhere else on the line) the cars on the wrong side of the gates problem would be solved and the BLE could be operated closer to design speed. 

Those gate arms are likely maintained by both CDOT & funded by NCDOT due to North Tryon being a state-maintained roadway.  Getting CATS, CDOT, and NCDOT to fix that design error that would be easier said than done.  NCDOT is being sabotaged by the NCGA (we all know the GOP-controls it) from what I've been told by several NCDOT employees. 

It'll likely easier for CATS to just design an entire grade separation between the rail tracks and roadways on any future light rail expansions to prevent such crazy design errors.

The interaction between South Boulevard and the LYNX Blue Line around the Scaleybark transit station comes to mind as an extremely cheap and poorly designed interaction of roadways and rail transit.  That stretch should have been grade separated either via cut and cover or viaduct to enhance safety and weird collisions.

I've eyewitnessed several vehicles try to evade the rail gate arms to attempting to beat the train along the areas where there are the diagonal roadway crossovers.  Meanwhile, they damn near crash into the rear of other vehicles or run over pedestrians or cyclists on the Rail Trail. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, kayman said:

Those gate arms are likely maintained by both CDOT & funded by NCDOT due to North Tryon being a state-maintained roadway.  Getting CATS, CDOT, and NCDOT to fix that design error that would be easier said than done.  NCDOT is being sabotaged by the NCGA (we all know the GOP-controls it) from what I've been told by several NCDOT employees. 

Yea, I am sure its complicated, but that is no excuse for not getting it fixed. It is an easily fixable design flaw that would use off the shelf parts that are relatively inexpensive. So I am not giving any agency a pass and I will beotch about this stupidity until the day I die (or it gets fixed) whichever comes first. 

22 hours ago, kayman said:

The interaction between South Boulevard and the LYNX Blue Line around the Scaleybark transit station comes to mind as an extremely cheap and poorly designed interaction of roadways and rail transit.  That stretch should have been grade separated either via cut and cover or viaduct to enhance safety and weird collisions.

Yea, I remember being flummoxed by this design choice when it was made. The line should have (and could have) followed the old RR ROW on the west side of South blvd. CATS decided that the Blue Line should run down the middle of the street here (and here only) simply  to ‘enable’ development on both sides of South blvd. I don’t believe a viaduct here was ever discussed and the original Blue Line design was superduper value engineered once global commodity price increase driven budget overruns were encountered (see the discussion of three car platforms above.) Bad decisions all around.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, kayman said:

In other words, if CATS had all grade-separated interactions along the LYNX Blue Line with all roadways then the trains would move at the optimum speed for higher frequencies. 

Another reason why I repeatedly say the any regional rail component, specially the LYNX Silver Line, in this region that's not streetcar should be totally grade-seperated from all roadway interactions. 

At that point, it basically is heavy rail. Charlotte should have heavy rail - Charlotte merits heavy rail - Heavy Rail in Charlotte would be successful - Charlotte will not get heavy rail - Heavy Rail likely wont even be discussed. To think back in the day Government would bankroll heavy rail systems. Now cities struggle to build 7 mile LRT lines over decades outside of a couple deep blue areas.

Infrastructure is expensive. There's plenty of money to build good infrastructure. And heavy rail would move more people than lane additions at probably a cheaper cost. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, kayman said:

However, a major reform of the local and regional government leadership structure from a strong mayor-council for the City of Charlotte, a bi-state  transportation and regional planning council like the East-West Gateway Council of Governments (one regional MPO) & a regional transit authority like the Bi-State Development (Metro Transit/MetroLink) in Greater St. Louis or KCATA in Kansas City would have to be created here for that even get discussed and receive any serious traction. 

So, you're saying there's a chance....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I wonder if at some point, the technology that is being developed for autonomous cars will be useful for a transit application such as the Blue Line? Driverless train operation is already a thing, but only on systems which are fully grade separated and have devices such as platform screen doors to seal people off from the guideway. An LRT line is a much more complex environment due to the many grade and pedestrian crossings, but at the same time I'd have to think it is a more predictable environment than a car operating on city streets. Automatic train operation would eliminate driver shortage as a barrier to increased frequency.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jthomas said:

I wonder if at some point, the technology that is being developed for autonomous cars will be useful for a transit application such as the Blue Line? Driverless train operation is already a thing, but only on systems which are fully grade separated and have devices such as platform screen doors to seal people off from the guideway. An LRT line is a much more complex environment due to the many grade and pedestrian crossings, but at the same time I'd have to think it is a more predictable environment than a car operating on city streets. Automatic train operation would eliminate driver shortage as a barrier to increased frequency.

You don’t necessarily need platform doors (PSDs) for ATO. 

Granted there are different Grades of Automation (GoA), but the SkyTrain in Vancouver( the highest grade, GoA 4)  is fully automated and runs unattended without PSDs. Other systems are capable of fully automated, unmanned operation without PSDs but still run with attendants onboard…the DC Metro comes to mind. The capability for the Metro to run between termini without an attendant onboard has been demonstrated in the past…I think an attendant may be necessary to turn trains at their terminus, however.

There are light rail systems that operate in ATO (Muni Metro in SF, Ottawa, the new Crosstown Line in Toronto) but only in their grade separated, underground sections. 

It would be a pointless, colossal expenditure for CATS to buy new vehicles (I doubt the S70 Avantos are capable of GoA 4, maybe just basic ATO) and fully eliminate all crossings for the purpose of unmanned ATO. 

That said, I think outside of Chicago, NY, Boston, and Cleveland, I think most heavy rail systems in the US will likely move towards GoA 4 (unmanned) operation at one point in the future. BART is installing CBTC at present, and IIRC plans to install PSDs. The DC Metro has a team of working on the procurement of a CBTC system as we speak, and the GM has publicly stated he is interested in moving towards full automation and adding PSDs. Granted CBTC/PSDs aren’t necessary for full automation, but certainly make the transition easier. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LKN704 said:

You don’t necessarily need platform doors (PSDs) for ATO. 

Granted there are different Grades of Automation (GoA), but the SkyTrain in Vancouver( the highest grade, GoA 4)  is fully automated and runs unattended without PSDs. Other systems are capable of fully automated, unmanned operation without PSDs but still run with attendants onboard…the DC Metro comes to mind. The capability for the Metro to run between termini without an attendant onboard has been demonstrated in the past…I think an attendant may be necessary to turn trains at their terminus, however.

There are light rail systems that operate in ATO (Muni Metro in SF, Ottawa, the new Crosstown Line in Toronto) but only in their grade separated, underground sections. 

It would be a pointless, colossal expenditure for CATS to buy new vehicles (I doubt the S70 Avantos are capable of GoA 4, maybe just basic ATO) and fully eliminate all crossings for the purpose of unmanned ATO. 

That said, I think outside of Chicago, NY, Boston, and Cleveland, I think most heavy rail systems in the US will likely move towards GoA 4 (unmanned) operation at one point in the future. BART is installing CBTC at present, and IIRC plans to install PSDs. The DC Metro has a team of working on the procurement of a CBTC system as we speak, and the GM has publicly stated he is interested in moving towards full automation and adding PSDs. Granted CBTC/PSDs aren’t necessary for full automation, but certainly make the transition easier. 

Thanks for the info! What I am wondering, though, is if advances in autonomous driving technology in the future could allow for the implementation of automatic train operation without the need to upgrade infrastructure through grade separation, platform screens etc. I am skeptical that we will see fully autonomous cars in urban areas anytime soon. However, an LRT line, even with at-grade vehicle and pedestrian crossings, is a less complex environment than a busy downtown street. Could the technology currently being developed for cars be applied to trains to allow a far broader implementation of automatic operation?